Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: History of shoujo!

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

History of shoujo!

No, no, not a lesson of history in terms of how shoujo manga was developed, no.

A while ago I came upon this >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Djo_manga << and I think it was rather an interesting story to know about how exactly shoujo manga was first born at Japan. It was so different compared to how shoujo manga now are, especially in terms of artwork, obviously.

Just curious if any of you had ever came across such old shoujo series, or probably some mentioned in that link as one of the first shoujo manga ever made.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: History of shoujo!

Thank you for such an interesting thread, Phio-chan!

It's indeed very curious to note how differently Shojo were made just some decades ago. Although I've never had any contact with series from before World War II, I'm acquainted with some from the 50's onwards. My favorite old school shojo would probably be Rose of Versailles, followed by Candy Candy and Princess Knight.

Beyond the art, the concepts of genre were also very distinct from today's. The anime version of RoV, for instance, could easily be mistaken for a seinen, as it contains a serious and even grave atmosphere, perfectly fitting the story's historical themes. The manga version, however, is more distinctively shojo, as the art — especially the characters' designs — and the yuri undertones present in it were more characteristic of this demographic.

Although they are more recent, I would like also to recommend Please Save My Earth and Kodomo no Omocha. While the former is a beautifully atmospheric romantic sci-fi, the latter is an amusing and amiable comedy.

Do you have any old school favorites?
    Last edited by Der Namenlose; February 03, 2013 at 08:10 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: History of shoujo!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Namenlose View Post
    Thank you for such an interesting thread, Phio-chan!
    You're welcome, Der Namenlose! And welcome to Shoujo/Josei section here at MH, lol.

It's indeed very curious to note how differently Shojo were made just some decades ago. Although I've never had any contact with series from before World War II, I'm acquainted with some from the 50's onwards. My favorite old school shojo would probably be Rose of Versailles, followed by Candy Candy and Princess Knight.

Beyond the art, the concepts of genre were also very distinct from today's. The anime version of RoV, for instance, could easily be mistaken for a seinen, as it contains a serious and even grave atmosphere, perfectly fitting the story's historical themes. The manga version, however, is more distinctively shojo, as the art — especially the characters' designs — and the yuri undertones present in it were more characteristic of this demographic.
    I've heard all titles, and I used to own complete books of Candy Candy (I think I gave them to my younger cousin, haha). Some of those old series are still being published here. I believe Glass Mask is one of these old shoujo? Since the art is similar. I never checked their anime version though. But yes, the most different part will be the art. Easily noticed. Although some modern series may have similar blink-blink eyes (I hope you get what I mean, lol) there's still different touch to it that you can tell they are from different era. I think it's the hair? In terms of plot... I find the old series more serious and mature? In shoujo especially since I don't read many josei to say correctly. Take for example Candy Candy. It's like a Cinderella story, if I remember correctly. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong series but most titles I read nowadays are mainly about romance only, lol.

Although they are more recent, I would like also to recommend Please Save My Earth and Kodomo no Omocha. While the former is a beautifully atmospheric romantic sci-fi, the latter is an amusing and amiable comedy.
    I read Kodocha! There's a thread in this section about Kodocha too so feel free to comment there if you want.

Kodocha is one of first manga. I remember reading it when I was in junior high school. It's a lovely series, mainly comedy but got the serious parts too. The last 4 volumes are mostly tense. Overall it's an amazing journey. Too bad I only collect the last 4 volumes, haha~ XD

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply