Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Who is the Best Villain?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Akainu (One Piece)

26 17.81%
  • Tobi (Naruto)

19 13.01%
  • Hisoka (Hunter X Hunter)

51 34.93%
  • Johan Liebert (Monster)

18 12.33%
  • Light Yagami (Death Note)

32 21.92%
Thread Closed
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Best Villain

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Villain

Akainu here! Not to forget the big scar he made on the protagonist, none of the others did that!

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Since when is most hated villain=best villain?Correct me if I'm wrong,but that would be pretty plain and simple writing.
    Giving a villain likeable traits and still making him work as such.That is a challenge and makes for an interesting character.Moreover,a villain is still a human being,so making him pure evil would not make sense.A villain has to make you think about his goals and the protagnoist's goals.There's never only one single truth and a good villain has to trigger some kind of conflict,which is the only way to learn.Thus,it's not only whom you hate the most,but who developes the story,influences the characters and is even believable as a character.Only because you have evil aims does not mean you can't be funny,adorable,perverted or charismatic.

As for Akainu.From his point of view,everything he did was in the name of justice.In his eyes,he killed one of the strongest criminals and erased a bunch of rebels who endangered peace.For me,that sounds perfectly reasonable.However,as we read this manga from a pirat's point of view and we grew attached to the characters,we doom him a villain,even though he might just be a good antagonist.That's why I said that we have to know a little more about him in order to judge him fairly.

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the definition of villain?
    From a different point of view, Light would be the good guy, since he achieved, with questionable means, an enourmous feat:
    he was able to make his world a better place, where criminality diminuished by ( if I remember correctly ) 90%. He didn't kill for his own gain, he killed for a better world. He became corrupted by his absolute power, and that was his downfall, yet one can sympathise with him, since he shouldered a responsibility so great all alone. No wonder he went mad.

Hisoka is imho not even a villain, he isn't evil, he doesn't want to destroy the world or such, he only wants to fight and kill the ones that catch his eye, at the point where he helps them if they're on a bind, like with Kuroro, and now with Gon. He is a bad guy, but by no means a great villain simply because imho he isn't even conceived as one:
    he is a wild card, and does as he pleases.

Akainu on the other hand is ruthless on a level that his justice can't justify him:
    he killed Ace, and that is were his justice ends. He didn't had any problem killing marines because they didn't want to die, you don't see Kizaru or Aokiji killing marines randomly, they fight against pirates because that's their job. Akainu on the other hand simply killed anyone that stood in his way of thinking. You don't see ppl hating Aokiji even if he almost killed all the crew, as well as many pirates in the war. Nor one hates Kizaru, when he did pretty much the same.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Akainu is here because of Ace really. I'd say the bigger villain in the One Piece world is Blackbeard. So Akainu doesn't get my vote.

Johan I have no idea about him.

Light is a good choice.

Hisoka not so much because he hasn't really been villainlike to Gon and Co in a while.

Tobi is another good choice since he is the major cause of grief in Naruto.

I'll vote for Light since he is a tragic Villain but evil where it counted.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Tobi is the worst choice, he already got owned by more than one character and is really pathetic... The only one I think doesn't deserves to be there.

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Blood View Post
    Akainu on the other hand is ruthless on a level that his justice can't justify him:
    he killed Ace, and that is were his justice ends. He didn't had any problem killing marines because they didn't want to die, you don't see Kizaru or Aokiji killing marines randomly, they fight against pirates because that's their job. Akainu on the other hand simply killed anyone that stood in his way of thinking. You don't see ppl hating Aokiji even if he almost killed all the crew, as well as many pirates in the war. Nor one hates Kizaru, when he did pretty much the same.
    I don't hate Akainu. He is "just" a killer. No mindgames, no torture ... in front of the likes of Griffith, he is just a small inoffensive bunny.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Akainu is, based on what we know this far, quite simple. Nothing compared to likes of Griffith and Johan. Or even Light.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

but why is light yagami a villain? he was the main character,although he killed people... as villain I'd say L,mello or near,but light wasn't really bad,he had his idea of justice.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    but why is light yagami a villain? he was the main character,although he killed people... as villain I'd say L,mello or near,but light wasn't really bad,he had his idea of justice.
    L,Mello and N are no villains.They are antagonists,but no villains.Just like Light can be a protagonist and a villain at the same time.Protagonist simply means something like main character,while the antagonist is the character working against(anti) him.That does not define their goals in any way,though.Just to make that clear.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

In this case the lead character was the villain himself. I really honestly can't force myself tp think L or Near as villains. Mello maybe if I try really hard. If we go down that road, then that'd make Matsuda a villain too, and a horrible backstabber on top of that. The term villain includes a certain degree of evilness. The term antagonist describes L and Co. better. He just represents opposition against Lights goals.

Light was evil, and thus villain. Maybe not at first, but he certainly developed into one. He took justice in his own hands. And then got drunk of his power, and started to use Death Note solely for his own goals. As I have said before, being a villain still doesn't mean that the character would be hateable and unlikeable by default.

Edit: I'm so slow. Google was faster.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. In front of Griffith, almost every villain of every manga is an inoffensive, cute bunny.
    And is true that Akainu is quite linear as a character, and that makes him a good villain, simply because I can consider him as one, while I don't consider not Light nor Hisoka villains. Tobi is a joke, and having never read Monster its not like I can judge a chara on his name

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    In this case the lead character was the villain himself. I really honestly can't force myself tp think L or Near as villains. Mello maybe if I try really hard. If we go down that road, then that'd make Matsuda a villain too, and a horrible backstabber on top of that. The term villain includes a certain degree of evilness. The term antagonist describes L and Co. better. He just represents opposition against Lights goals.

Light was evil, and thus villain. Maybe not at first, but he certainly developed into one. He took justice in his own hands. And then got drunk of his power, and started to use Death Note solely for his own goals. As I have said before, being a villain still doesn't mean that the character would be hateable and unlikeable by default.

Edit: I'm so slow. Google was faster.
    While I agree with you on a certain degree, we can't honestly say that Light is all evil. He did good doing evil. Would global peace be obtained in another way?
    Last edited by Uchiha_Blood; January 15, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Shinomori Aoshi's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the definition of villain?
    From a different point of view, Light would be the good guy, since he achieved, with questionable means, an enourmous feat:
    he was able to make his world a better place, where criminality diminuished by ( if I remember correctly ) 90%. He didn't kill for his own gain, he killed for a better world. He became corrupted by his absolute power, and that was his downfall, yet one can sympathise with him, since he shouldered a responsibility so great all alone. No wonder he went mad.

Hisoka is imho not even a villain, he isn't evil, he doesn't want to destroy the world or such, he only wants to fight and kill the ones that catch his eye, at the point where he helps them if they're on a bind, like with Kuroro, and now with Gon. He is a bad guy, but by no means a great villain simply because imho he isn't even conceived as one:
    he is a wild card, and does as he pleases.

By the way, murdering the small fry criminals like thieves, killers and such is not contributing to world peace at all, in my opinion. If Light chose to kill the big bosses like very very rich people with no respect to human life and dignity or government officials around the world I would consider him a saint!

And I also agree about Griffith.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. In front of Griffith, almost every villain of every manga is an inoffensive, cute bunny.
    And is true that Akainu is quite linear as a character, and that makes him a good villain, simply because I can consider him as one, while I don't consider not Light nor Hisoka villains. Tobi is a joke, and having never read Monster its not like I can judge a chara on his name

While I agree with you on a certain degree, we can't honestly say that Light is all evil. He did good doing evil. Would global peace be obtained in another way?
    Well, not saying he was full evil, and he had initially good intentions as I have mentioned. And over all crime dropped drastically in Death Note-verse. But he broke his code by starting to kill people, that weren't criminals by any stantards, people who were after him. He started to use the Note for his own best. Also, the way he exploited Misas love for him wasn't exactly nice. He wasn't pure evil, but I have hard time considering God complexed execution machine exactly a good guy or a hero. Though how you think of Light depends a lot on personal values of the reader. (Opinion on death sentence and "goals justify means" attitude")

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErosVp View Post
    I think Tobi is the worst choice, he already got owned by more than one character and is really pathetic... The only one I think doesn't deserves to be there.
    Well he did shape the current world in Naruto...of course some of his decisions are questionable, but he did make use of Sasuke, he created Akatsuki, and helped out in the events that shaped Naruto's birth and subsequently Naruto's entire life...whilst Akainu is just a fighter, nothing special there...he is more like a tool in my eyes, tool of the WG...his seiyuu in the anime is the seiyuu of Kenpachi in Bleach...quite fitting IMO

Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Griffith is easily the best villain out there, but out of these choices Light is certainly the best in terms of his ideals and psychotic development, his cunning ways of executing his plans, his evil aura as a person, the facial expressions, the psychological aspect and the suffering and pain that he caused so many, not to mention mass killings fit perfectly for a villain.

Thread Closed
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast