Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: The Best Death/Saddest Moment is...?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Meryem and Komugi's death

38 27.34%
  • Kushina and Minato's death

17 12.23%
  • Jiraiya's death

31 22.30%
  • Maes Hughe's death

18 12.95%
  • Merry Go viking's funeral

35 25.18%
Thread Closed
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best Death/Saddest Moment

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Death/Saddest Moment

Hmmm...this is a tough choice...

Meruem and Komugi's death was just touching, and done in an interesting way, which speaks of originality...so I definitely liked it...but the "sad" factor just wasn't there...same with Jiraiya's death...

The other 3 though did manage to reach out to me though...Going Merry's funeral was very touching, Oda manages to draw some pretty expressive sad faces, and the dialogue was great...

Kushina's last words for Naruto were really well done, the reader believes in the situation...no wonder since the entire arc has a woman's touch on it...

But Maes Hughes' death and funeral was just "stunning" in its sadness, considering everything that revolved around it...Maes Hughes it is for me

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Meryem and Komugi's death for me since I love HXH. Plus OP and FMA nominations are old so it doesn't have that much of an impact anymore. Surprised Ace's death wasn't nominated instead.

Jiraiya's death was pretty sad but again a bit old. Kushina and Minato is pretty new but still it didn't effect me in a meaningful way like Meryem and Komugi's death.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlink310 View Post
    Meryem and Komugi's death for me since I love HXH. Plus OP and FMA nominations are old so it doesn't have that much of an impact anymore. Surprised Ace's death wasn't nominated instead.

Jiraiya's death was pretty sad but again a bit old. Kushina and Minato is pretty new but still it didn't effect me in a meaningful way like Meryem and Komugi's death.

I don't think "Old" should be a valid argument. I've read FMA about 10 times through and Hughes' death still hits me hard every single time even though I know it's coming.

Hughes' is were my vote is going.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdowns View Post
    I don't think "Old" should be a valid argument. I've read FMA about 10 times through and Hughes' death still hits me hard every single time even though I know it's coming.

Hughes' is were my vote is going.
    Well obviously nostalgia keeps you attached to that death. It really was a good death but it wasn't a best death so to say, very sad moment though.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Jiraya's death. It was shocking and manly. He was a great character until the end. I was practically crying, when he passed away.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a tough choice,but in the end my vote went to Meryem's and Komugi's death.Seriously,Togashi made me shed a tear or two for one of the most terrible,cruel and montrous villain in manga-history,who indirectly caused the current miserable state of our beloved protagonist, and a secondary female character we barely knew,despite this long-ass hiatus.Not only was it extremely touching,it was just as brilliant artistically.

The rest managed to bring tears to my eyes as well,but in comparison to Togashi's fantastic writing,they shine in a dull light.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm ok with 3 choices among the 5. The two from Naruto are not doing it for me: the death of the old master (so stereoptycal) & the needed death of characters known to be dead.

Among the 3 choices, It's a close call for me. But I gave my vote to HxH again
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 15, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiraya was awesome, but his dead just wasn't that epic for me. Minato and Kushina... we knew they would die, and being the main characters parents, it was obvious it would be heroic. But it didn't feel that special for me.

Now Maes Hughes' death hurt. He was loveable character. The good always die ;-;

Going Merrys viking funeral. I FRICKING CRIED FOR A FICTIONAL SHIP! SERIOUS!

King and Komugi. Is my vote. This was so well written and executed. There have been a few occasion were I have been moved to almost tears with just pictures. But Togashi did it with just bubbles and one panel. And this was just a huge finale for King's character developement. A character I absolutely hated in the beginning, ended having even a bit of symphaty from my end. And Komugi was so sincere it hard not to like her.

10. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member meeedoooz's Avatar
    Country
    Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

kushina and minato's death was the saddest moment in manga history ... not the death it self so one may say " we knew they were dead from the start" but the way they died and kushina's last words to naruto...

there is no moment as sad as this or as epic as this
    a story that can reach the hearts of people all around the world no matter what their culture or background is and be their favorite is truly and definitely a masterpiece . i hope you last a bit more Naruto. thanks Kishi for the most epic manga

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meeedoooz View Post
    kushina and minato's death was the saddest moment in manga history ... not the death it self so one may say " we knew they were dead from the start" but the way they died and kushina's last words to naruto...

there is no moment as sad as this or as epic as this
    Guess you haven't read HunterxHunter then.I do admit that Kushina's last words were very touching and the whole situation was rather epic and stuff,but in comparison to what Togashi accomplished with those few speech bubbles and black panels,Kishimoto's writing fades into average.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess you have to be a big Naruto fan to use such definitive statements :-)
    Well I'm not, so I may be a little biased and I didn't like the I'm dead but i can still speak to you setting. Anyway I'm easily moved, even by the most used tropped and Naruto parents deaths did me nothing.
    So definitively not THE saddest moment in manga history.
    Between HxH and One piece, i choose Merry. Man do I cry when I read this. The king was really well done but I guess a lack of empathy to the character do not help to reach Merry's level

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I guess you have to be a big Naruto fan to use such definitive statements :-)
    Well I'm not, so I may be a little biased and I didn't like the I'm dead but i can still speak to you setting. Anyway I'm easily moved, even by the most used tropped and Naruto parents deaths did me nothing.
    So definitively not THE saddest moment in manga history.
    Between HxH and One piece, i choose Merry. Man do I cry when I read this. The king was really well done but I guess a lack of empathy to the character do not help to reach Merry's level
    That's what amazed me actually.Despite this lack of empathy,Togashi managed to move me to this extent.It's easy to make one cry for a beloved character you constantly see in the manga,but doing what Togashi did proofs brilliant writing.At least that's how I feel.

16. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I know but although it is well made, I didn't had the emotion necessary for such an award when I read the chapter for the first time.
    After rereading and discussing, I understand how it is well made and beautiful but it is missing the sincerity of the first read.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi killed the ants in a very interesting way. The one who was the most crude (Pitou) was killed in the same way. Changed Gon completely in a way I couldn't believe. Pufu was was someone very smart and charismatic and died alone surrounded bu his slave who did nothing to help him and after losing the mind game with the king. Yupi was beaten by something He couldn't touch and the King surrendered by humanity. It's so poetic, in a complete sense, that I can't vote for anything but that.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

19. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member zozo96's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

The deaths in HxH were too surreal for me. I just couldn't grasp the intensity.

Jiraiya's and Naruto parents' death were told in great touche' moments and matched up the whole plot of the story.

I have to admit, Maes Hughes' death was devastating in scale of sadness. It even escalated the already high level of FMA. I did feel bad for him and his family.

All were sad, but why didn't I shed tears for them? Instead, I cried reading a sinking of a boat! Why? Because the author had set background stories for that scene in such subtle and subliminal manners (in a good way) that I could see myself in Merry's boots at some moments in my life. To love without being noticed until the very end. To have desire so great and honorable, but have to pass it on. Going Merry is not a mere boat. She resembles us in one way and another.

Thread Closed
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast