Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seinen Manga For Pros

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Seinen Manga For Pros

Welcome to the void! It is the place where people can find and suggest some of the most obscure, hidden gems in the seinen manga universe. A manga that needs to be brought to attention, a manga that never made it to the scan groups. Mangas that are serious and alternative, some that are funny but never saw the light of day, never made it to the online reading sites, were left out because they do not fit the general idea of a manga someone would read, a manga that is thought not to be interesting for the readers. Here you can discuss which of these mangas should be read more, discussed more and maybe some will catch the eye of the scan groups. So those that are pros in this field of seinens will be of great help to people who are done with the beginner mangas and want to venture deep into the forest of seinens. Let me have the honor of begin the first to suggest some.

Last edited by Josef K.; November 05, 2011 at 08:27 AM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seinen Manga For Professionals

I'm a big fan of Naoki Yamamoto's (completely released) series: Arigatou, Believers, Dance till Tomorrow (Asatte Dance).
    Kazuo Umezu is another great, infamous mangaka that you need to try at one point. Keep in mind that his manga don't really always make sense. (Fourteen, Drifting Classroom, My Name is Shingo)
    I'll Give It My All... Tomorrow isn't being scanlated, but just get the official books if that's a possibility.
    Boku to Issho is a hilarious manga by the author of Ciguatera.
    Noramimi is like Doraemon for grown-ups.
    Naturally Toyokazu Matsunaga's stuff, being Bakune Young, Ryuguden, Paperakyu.
    More funny stuff by Nawoki Karasawa: Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Mangaka, Sachiko & Neko-sama
    All of Taiyo Matsumoto's works (Takemitsu Zamurai, Sunny, Number Five, Gogo Monster, etc)
    Twin Spica, not really alternative seinen but definitely very low under the radar.
    Shinkichi Katoh's Ranman, Baka & Gogh.
    Me & the Devil Blues
    Some of Tezuka's lesser known, but nonetheless fantastic manga (Ayako, Ode to Kirihito, Book of Human Insects)
    All of Jiro Taniguchi's own stories like Father's Journal, Distant Neighbourhood, Zoo in Winter, etc.
    Say hello to Black Jack; though this one might be difficult to actually read (the version I own is Dutch, and aside from that it's only been published in French) but it's a fantastic series.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Action wise, my two favs are Shamo and Ichi the Killer. Both are loaded with action granted both stories can be gruesome in more ways than one

One of my all-time favorite manga is Bokurano. It's a mech manga but with some crazy back stories on the children forced to pilot the mech. Waters and Garden are two other really interesting series that I read awhile back. Garden is a collection of oneshots but they will mind f*ck you.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Ichi the Killer is a good one. Been so long, need to read it again.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Music of Marie is breath taking, it has that classical drawing style which a few manga's have, I really love it! The art style fits in with the type of the story as well. There are just so many ways to characterize this manga just by going form the art style. It has lovely color pages and basically the whole world of the manga is so interesting! It's unique so to speak, the characters are just lovely! If you are looking for a good fantasy this is the way to go! A little insight on my suggestion.^^

Thank you guys for the suggestions, I have a lot of series to read now!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Eden:It's An Endless World! isn't obscure or offbeat, but it definitely needs more readers and discussion. And I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone or as an intro to Seinen. So I feel confident that it fits the "Seinen for Professionals" category.
    Last edited by MattC302; November 04, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Little insight on Journey to The End of the World, it's quite of a work of literature, very nice art and a very nice poetic narration that is specific to this manga only, people may not like it because on the surface and at the beginning it does not appear interesting but that is part of the larger overall story that is to follow which may disturb some a lot. It basically has strong themes, none of that love, friendship, courage stuff, this is black humor at times, for me.

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seinen Manga For Pros

Well, I don't know if this question makes sense, but does the "Josei" demographic genre count as a seinen - particularly for females?
    So are Josei titles allowed on this thread?

Anyways, I find Aiki really decent. Don't know if it's for pros though.

|| AnimanGa News: 11/13-11/18 || .GIF Thread || Genius - Choice? ||

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asahina View Post
    Well, I don't know if this question makes sense, but does the "Josei" demographic genre count as a seinen - particularly for females?
    So are Josei titles allowed on this thread?

Anyways, I find Aiki really decent. Don't know if it's for pros though.
    Josei are generally manga aimed at adult female readers while seinen are for adult male readers, the demographic makes them different, even though there is not rule preventing the other from reading josei or seinen, the josei section is separate form here though, it's along with the shoujo section here.

---------- Post added November 12, 2011 at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was November 07, 2011 at 06:51 AM ----------

White Clouds/Shiroi Kumo which has a thread now is one that I just remembered I found it such an odd way while browsing randomly for manga that were short. It was short but it was magnificent as well, for those looking for not too long and simple yet mangas filled with emotion, other mangas that I was told that would make me cry did not even come close to the sheer power of this one.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to clarify what you mean by 'Seinen' for pros - to be honest I'm not too keen on having a topic just for 'pros' since its not very welcoming to readers by creating a bias that you may not have it in you to appreciate said manga because you're not at the 'level'. I can understand the 'beginners' thread but I'm honestly not too sure about a 'pros' thread since it pertains to a segregation that I'm not fond of not just in manga but in many other media, its kind of elitist.

Since what I'm seeing with recommendations are more 'experimental' but I'd hardly call an experimental work to be more of an expert rank since really the advantage of appreciating these works are if you're not TOO exposed to manga in the first place. Thus, you have a much easier time absorbing the odd format/art they may opt to adopt since you're far more open with less bias. There are also series I think better suited for 'beginners' like Bokurano since what I find is its more characteristic of the 'philosophical' or 'reflective' qualities in a seinen series, along with the maturity. Furthermore, its a great start off for any new reader precisely because it subverts a pretty common genre of mecha into something far deeper or rather more in the vein of 'sci-fi' that you can identify a quick difference of how a shounen and seinen series handle something.

With discussion I can understand that some series may be difficult to talk about - Journey to the End of the World for instance - but I would say that is largely because talking about content would only be repeating or parroting what the manga already explicitly stated. Or the manga is so much about being a visual or atmospheric feast - e.g. Mushishi - that despite it being great its very difficult to find words to describe the beauty you're engrossed with that there really isn't much to do other than recommend it. Perhaps that would be more 'difficult' for newer readers but to be honest its not any easier for 'expert' readers since in the end it boils down to quite a niche appeal, you're either open to it or not.
    Last edited by Hamy; November 13, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

It's only the thread name that might be misleading, or elitist. But if you're gonna take it this seriously...

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...I don't think there's a problem...the pro in the title doesn't refer to the level of understanding of the reader, but more like to the amount of mangas he's read, or the quality of those titles...because of the number of titles, the pros can offer more obscure and not so known titles

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    It's only the thread name that might be misleading, or elitist. But if you're gonna take it this seriously...
    Sorry what? I don't see what you mean by taking it seriously? Why would I not take it seriously I am interested in the topic why else would I ask for it to be defined because unlike the beginner thread I find this one somewhat more vague that I do wonder what I could recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    Once manga treads into really deep, dark psychological stuff; I stop considering it "easy reading."
    Sides going by your idea of what would no longer be easy reading I'd easily disagree that this would be considered 'pro' or no longer easy reading. Childhood like seinen or slice of life ones can arguably be a more 'pro' or difficult read if you don't look into other aspects besides theme as they can very well hide said theme or disguise it well. Sides it doesn't fit well with series that do have those aspects and can make for heavy reading but certainly not 'pro' level that it would take a more open appreciation to read, e.g. Gantz. I would say at the very least that what is more distinguishable of a heavy read is that precisely they do not conform to a genre or a prototype so that you don't have much reference series to go by in trying to come to terms with the manga, e.g. A Revolutionist in the Afternoon is pretty much unique onto itself in comparison to say Gantz or Bokurano which both are quite deep/dark/psychological/philosophical but are far easier to appreciate because they have an identifiable aspect (even if they subvert or handle it quite differently from the norm at least its a take off point). Or at best their only reference points are within the works of the said author who carries such a distinct style.

Which is why I do agree with Music of Marie and Journey to the End of the World as being more 'pro' as they do go beyond your comfort zone as it is a very distinct style governing the manga rather than genre or plot.

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Hmm...I don't think there's a problem...the pro in the title doesn't refer to the level of understanding of the reader, but more like to the amount of mangas he's read, or the quality of those titles...because of the number of titles, the pros can offer more obscure and not so known titles
    Yeah but what qualifies as 'pro' I don't really see quantity as being a good indicator of that while quality as I said has an issue with the fact that more often than not its niche appeal mangas that are dropped. Not that niche appeal ones aren't good but understandably its really not for everyone and it may not necessarily be of 'quality' and what is more worrisome is that 'pro' or 'quality' may be too mixed up with 'niche' - again they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but it will be important to keep in mind what COULD be the more intended target audience that the manga has in mind which should be discernible to the one that recommends it. Since I do see this like any list or recommendations with the idea of 'pro' in trying to shed light on obscure titles, however difficulty with such recommendations is sorting out what is unjustly neglected and should be better seen with what is 'niche' (meaning something by merit of itself really wouldn't have a large audience in the first place). Which is why I'm asking it would be best to qualify what is meant by 'pro' because undoubtedly its a very loaded term.
    Last edited by Hamy; November 13, 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It was meant to be a cute and catchy name, even in the announcement I put what the thread is about, I presumed that the announcement would be the thing that will get people here. Well it was firstly for "Professionals" which is a bit official and stuff, but pros has a ring to it, it's there to grasp the attention not to mislead, otherwise how will the readers know what the thread is about without reading the content? I mean it really would not do anything for someone who has not read the thread to come post, they have to read the first and other posts to form the opinion on the thread and see what it is about.

Pros are generally those with more experience in reading these manga which can be said are: hidden, obscure, unknown, not mainstream and so on. It's both for the content and the popularity of the manga. The thread is not closed for anyone right? Everyone can post, I see the meaning of the thread in this sentence "So those that are pros in this field of seinens will be of great help to people who are done with the beginner mangas and want to venture deep into the forest of seinens." that I wrote in the first post.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Much ado about nothing, back to manga.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast