Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Top 10 Favourite Characters of the series

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top 10 Favourite Characters of the series

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    And you'll have to remind me, what did Niou and Yagyuu do to injure an opponent? I need to reread the original series because I have forgotten so much.
    Sure. They KOed Kikumaru in Kanto's finals aiming a ball to his face.

Kirihara is awesome

<- my avy, lol.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

@Nekomata What about Yukimura? His play style revolve around removing his opponents sense.

Oni also injured Momoshiro. He definitely can win that match without using any move at all.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, now that I think about it, wtf. That was such a dick move. Konomi prolly had different plans for Oni before he became Santa's helper.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    @Nekomata What about Yukimura? His play style revolve around removing his opponents sense.
    Its only a side-effect of his move. His Play style actually revolves around breaking the opponents mental strength. Which is a big part of professional tennis.
    They regain their senses once they've lost so it isn't the same as doing serious physical damage like Tohno and Krauser.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nekomata's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Sure. They KOed Kikumaru in Kanto's finals aiming a ball to his face.
    How disappointing. And I had loved the Tricksey-Gentleman pair so much.

Kirihara is awesome

<- my avy, lol.
    I daresay he is. Maybe not the best player, but he's actually very likable (when not in devil-mode, anyway) and awesome. I don't think he has a hope in hell beating the big three, but I like that he hasn't given up.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    Oni also injured Momoshiro. He definitely can win that match without using any move at all.
    Yes, that's true. But Oni's function is to strengthen the lower courts. Momo didn't suffer from any lasting damage and is actually better off for it (if his game with Kenya against Haratetstu and Hiraizen is any indication). I was under the impression that his move against Momo was more of a psychological move against all of the middle schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Its only a side-effect of his move. His Play style actually revolves around breaking the opponents mental strength. Which is a big part of professional tennis.
    They regain their senses once they've lost so it isn't the same as doing serious physical damage like Tohno and Krauser.
    This.

It's probably not a popular opinion, but I still kinda think Yukimura is a bit of a dick. I want to like him, but some of his behavior on and off the court aggravates me. He and Fuji also have this strong passive aggressive bullying streak I don't particularly care for. It's worse in Yukimura, I think.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    This.

It's probably not a popular opinion, but I still kinda think Yukimura is a bit of a dick. I want to like him, but some of his behavior on and off the court aggravates me. He and Fuji also have this strong passive aggressive bullying streak I don't particularly care for. It's worse in Yukimura, I think.
    Yukimura behaves like Sanada, and spends most time with either Sanada or his roommates off the court.
    I'm kinda intrigued to know why you feel Fuji and Yukimura are bullies lol.
    I mean, aren't HALF of the MSers aggressive on and off the court to each other?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nekomata's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Yukimura behaves like Sanada, and spends most time with either Sanada or his roommates off the court.
    I'm kinda intrigued to know why you feel Fuji and Yukimura are bullies lol.
    I mean, aren't HALF of the MSers aggressive on and off the court to each other?
    It's something I noticed more in the omake stuff (which I know can be dubious when it comes to canon) than the manga (same with Fuji, though Fuji isn't quite as bad). But there is something about his attitude that really puts me off even in the manga. I'm actually going back and rereading the original manga since it's been so long, so maybe that'll jog my memory on exactly what it is I dislike. I think it's that he is all smiles and politeness on the outside, but what he will think and say isn't quite so nice.

I sometimes feel like he's the Dowager Countess of Downton Abbey.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my Top 10, from least to most:

Zaizen: He just looks cool, and I like how he's a subversion of the whole "Genius" archetype that Konomi sets up in that we never really see him do anything. I have a feeling we may see him get some action in SPoT, but that'll probably be in 2064.

Kimijima: The whole Intellitennis idea is pretty original. Having his special technique be his able to make people double-cross each other brings a potential level of drama to the story almost reminiscent of early PoT, where character drama was more or less the driving force behind the story. It's almost like he uses Data Tennis for "evil" purposes.

Akutsukyō: He's one of the coolest designed characters out of the 1st stringers and the G10. Not only that, but his creativity when it comes to techniques can't be matched. All of his Executions are really innovative, especially Seppuku. He really turns the notch up to 11 when it comes to the "Violence Lover" archetype, making characters like Devil Akaya, Hakamada, and Akutsu look tame. I do hope he makes a return.

Bunta: He's a great example of appying the "Genius" archetype to a Doubles player. Aside from the fact that he's the watered-up version of Jirō, Bunta's techniques are almost as creative as Fuji's. Okay, other than that lame Fortress one. Bunta's status as the greatest volley magician in junior high school tennis does well to seperate him from the rest of the cast, who focus on fancy counters or all-rounder moves.

Danji: The coolest looking power player in the whole series. The way he just sent two people flying at once was one of the most awesome jaw-dropping moments in the whole series. I got the feeling from him that he was a more mature veteran version of Kawamura's "Burning" personality.

Nioh: The way this guy plays is too interesting, making him one of the most original (ironic, right) players in the whole comic. Before Illusion, the way he tricks players was too cool. The switcheroo with Yagyū and the fake blood were nice and interesting pranks. Then you have the Illusion, which puts Muga to shame. Nioh becoming any other character, and even going so far as to take their willpower and personalities (his development from a weirdo jerk to a guy who put his life on the line for the Revolution) makes him not only the best copy players in the whole series, but also one of the best characters as a whole.

Oni: The whole Kijin Aura is insane. It brings back feelings of familiarity in the original PoT when a Samurai would appear in place of Nanjiroh or Echizen. He's also one of the strongest folks in the whole camp while trying to make other people stronger. It's human nature to compete and want to be better than others, but it takes a hell of a lot of guts to genuinely want to see others "do better than you." I have nothing but respect for Oni. He really looks out for others and has a sense of altruism that would only make the world better if more people had it in real life.

Ryoma: Out of all the über All-Rounders, he has to be my favorite because it feels like he's actually an All-Rounder. The way his playstyle revolves around Mega Manning all the skills he sees is appropriate for a guy who's been playing in tournaments since that awkward teen phase. Though, it is jarring how repetitive it gets (originally Ryoma was just so cool he can mimic moves by looking at them, but then he opens the first door to the State of Self-Surrender and then gains the ability to ... mimic moves, like he's always been doing). However, it's not like he doesn't have his own set of moves, as the Drives are simple but effective techniques that tend to score him points (I do miss how epic each of his techniques were in the original PoT; unforgettable moments include the first time he did the Drive B against Yūta to seal his Twist Spin Shot, and when he used the Drive A to give Akutsu what he had coming to him). To clarify, I like the original PoT's Ryoma than SPoT's Ryoma, as I feel now Ryoma's character is just bland and aimlessly cocky - he has no reason to be, given how Tokugawa and Byodoin put him to shame; some humility wouldn't hurt.

Shūji: The way he can 'negate' shots is too cool, even if he does it just because. His character is almost a super foil of Fuji and Shiraishi; if Fuji's calm and excels at doing absurdly cool things and Shiraishi is an ace at doing boring things with amazing results, then Shūji's the guy that can perform miracles by doing absolutely nothing. I'd love to see a game where he negates all of Fuji's counters, making them null and void.

Akutsu: One of the best players from the "Normal" era of PoT, I love how he's one of the first few middle schoolers who can hit 5 balls like nothing before any kind of training. He's seriously a monster with virtually no special techniques, just pure bad assery in flexible muscles and power, and the fact that only Oni can see this is almost disturbing. For any Eyeshield 21 fans Akutsu is almost the Agon of the series. He's damn skilled, and I'm glad he's finally getting some shine by getting paired up with a character like Sanada, a guy who was prevelent in the "Bizarre" era of PoT.

Also, special shout outs goes to:

Krauser: It's awesome that this guy is slim and lean, but he's up there with some of the best power players. Nice subversion of the big guy = power player archetype.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; October 29, 2013 at 01:47 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Top 10 Favourite Characters of the series

1 - Atobe
    2 - Tezuka
    3 - Kite
    4 - Fuji
    5 - Sanada
    6 - Tachibana
    7 - Niou
    8 - Krauser
    9 - Akaya
    10 - Oni

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Korean Kuroko's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I dont have a top per se, I just divide them by category:
    Fav character by school:
    Seigaku: Ryoma
    Yamabuki: Sengoku
    Hyotei: Jirou
    Shitenhouji: Chitose
    Rikkai Dai: Niou
    Higa: Rin
    HSers: Irie
    Fav school overall:
    Shitenhouji

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Tezuka ( I just think he's an awesome captain. People always want to defeat Tezuka but he only cares about his team)
    2. Tachibana (He's awesome)
    3. Shiraishi (Funny guy with perfect technique. HE's hard working and he's an all around good player.)
    4. Chitose (Tensais are the best)
    5. Oni (because he is always number five and he's the best player right now.)
    6. Atobe (He's a cocky dude which makes him cool)
    7. Sengoku
    8. Marui (wonder castle)
    9. Kite (he's a sick guy and he can basically play all of Higa's technique.)
    10. Kin-Chan (his wild play style.)

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top 10 Favourite Players of the series

Aaaand I'm gonna change mine.

1) Atobe (his match against Sanada in PoT made him look too badass, and he's this series main character lol).
    2) Kirihara (come on Konomi, I know that you'll bring the anti-Echizen back... some day).
    3) Kikumaru (meh I can't hate the guy at all, he's too cheerful. I like his anime version better though).
    4) Lucky Sengoku (... I'm sure this doesn't surprise anyone. Come on dude get Irie's spot).
    5) Niou (he's a smartass that can become anyone, how could I not like him).
    6) Shiraishi (although I didn't like the "oh Kirihara your hair is lovely" thing, he's still Shiraishi lol).
    7) Ryoga (he's badass, enough said).
    8) Tachibana (I really liked him in PoT, it's sucha pity that he lost to Chitose -but hey, he needed some development to be a decent rival for Tezuka- I hope we see more of him in SPoT).
    9) Ibu (every single line of his in PoT made me laugh, he's just great).
    10) Momoshiro-Marui (I'm not sure here... so yeah, both of them).

David and Jirou are out of the list until they become something more than "yeah, those Kanto players" (I know, they'll never be that) and I really like Mouri but he's completely fodder material. And Sanada is badass but he's too "inhuman" (like Tezuka)
    Gonna do an update of that update, like every year:

Spoiler: HSers show

Spoiler: MSers show

And Mixing both lists:

Spoiler: Top 20 show

Edit: F it, Kirihara is the best.
    Last edited by Hardy; June 15, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4