Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: US Manga Industry and Publisher News Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: US Manga Industry and Publisher News Thread

I'll definitely be buying 'Danza' after being impressed by 'not simple' and 'House of Five Leaves'.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you enjoyed Not Simple and House of Five Leaves be sure to read Ristorante Paradiso. That is actually my favorite Ono Natsume manga.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Drawn & Quarterly has licensed Mizuki Shigeru's shounen classic Gegege no Kitaro, with volume one tentatively scheduled for February 13, 2013.

Anime News Network

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Drawn & Quarterly has licensed Mizuki Shigeru's shounen classic Gegege no Kitaro, with volume one tentatively scheduled for February 13, 2013.

Anime News Network
    Huh. I really enjoyed Toei's 'Hakaba Kitaro', though I've heard this is vastly different. Either way, if it's a classic I should keep my eye out on it.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever read the few chapters Happy Scans released, all of which I enjoyed. I'm curious if they will treat Hakaba as part of Gegege and begin there.

---------- Post added June 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was June 07, 2012 at 12:20 AM ----------

Vertical has licensed Nihei's Knight's of Sidonia, with a tentative drop date of February 5, 2013. Ed Chavez has been talking about licensing a new, sci-fi series for months, on Twitter. I came so close to guessing it https://twitter.com/Kaiten1978/statu...52442113871874

source
    Amazon

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TXC's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that vertical was like part of kodansha usa, with a more alternative catalogue but it seems they took this one from them lol and are open to license things from other publishers as well. which is cool, they normally choose good stuff.
    Last edited by TXC; June 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really good news. I've got like 5 news series on my to buy list for this fall/winter/new years. Not very good news for my finances though. I guess it helps that Cross Game ends next month, so I can replace it with Attack on Titan, and I think 20th Century Boys ends next February, just in time for me to replace it with Knights of Sidonia.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXC View Post
    I always thought that vertical was like part of kodansha usa, with a more alternative catalogue but it seems they took this one from them lol and are open to license things from other publishers as well. which is cool, they normally choose good stuff.
    Vertical is owned by Kodansha. They were originally a separate company, until Kodansha bought a controlling share in 2011. They will license manga from smaller publishers, in addition to Kodansha titles. Tetzuka reissues, especially Black Jack, will always be Vertical's flagship titles. They are a separate entity from Kodansha USA, owned directly by the parent company. Most of what they publish would be considered niche titles in the States, even if they would be considered mainstream in Japan.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

After reading some recent Tweets it seems that Vertical wants to escape the perception of being a "niche", "alternative" publisher. Easier said than done when you license Lychee Hikari Club and Velveteen & Mandala. Don't be surprised to hear that they have licensed some mainstream shoujo in the near future. They also seem to want to get away from licensing classics, so don't expect Blame! any time soon. Or anything old, aside from Tezuka.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually the one asking for blame! They seem interested in stuff like chihayafuru or saki. More yen press/ seven seas style in my eyes.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked for Choujin Gakuen, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, YKK , and the Emanon series. I got a "no" for YKK and Emanon, but didn't get an answer for Choujin Gakuen or Ran to Haiiro no Sekai.

I'm personally fine if Vertical wants to change directions. I like mainstream stuff. I like niche/alternative stuff. There is interesting manga from both categories. Actually, I'm more likely to buy stuff that leans toward mainstream. I like weird and alternative manga, but not too weird.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

He told that they are interested in Moteki when I asked for Again!! (I got a no), besides that a good lot of no's and that btooom is licensed by someone else (they also wanted it, it seems).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I asked for Choujin Gakuen, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, YKK , and the Emanon series. I got a "no" for YKK and Emanon, but didn't get an answer for Choujin Gakuen or Ran to Haiiro no Sekai.

I'm personally fine if Vertical wants to change directions. I like mainstream stuff. I like niche/alternative stuff. There is interesting manga from both categories. Actually, I'm more likely to buy stuff that leans toward mainstream. I like weird and alternative manga, but not too weird.
    Seconded on Choujin Gakuen. I'd scoop that up immediately. Honestly I can't think of anything that isn't Shokakukan related I'd like to see over here, which means I'm sadly at the mercy of Viz.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)

Requests Closed.
    Read my writing here!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually the one asking for blame! They seem interested in stuff like chihayafuru or saki. More yen press/ seven seas style in my eyes.
    I had asked too, a few weeks ago when he first said they were trying to license sci-fi series. Told me no old manga's and that's that

Chihaya is one of my favorite manga's, I'd love for it to be licensed. It would make a lot of sense for Vertical, it would fit in well with titles like Drops of God. Saki seems like something they should leave to Yen Press.

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post

I hope that whatever direction they take there focus remains on smart manga. I would love to see Emanon licensed, anything by Tokuma actually. Fortunately Emanon is not Kodansha, and would be available to another publisher. Sadly, I think this means no Spirit of Wonder or Wandering Island. I'd also like to see Choujin, but that seems more like a Kodansha USA title. Either way, I'd love to be able to buy copies.

He told that they are interested in Moteki when I asked for Again!! (I got a no), besides that a good lot of no's and that btooom is licensed by someone else (they also wanted it, it seems).
    He said something about not being able to license Moteki a few days ago, something about using song lyrics. I saw you ask about Again!! (I would have if you hadn't), honestly I'm a little surprised he said no. Hopefully Kodansha USA will license it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Seconded on Choujin Gakuen. I'd scoop that up immediately. Honestly I can't think of anything that isn't Shokakukan related I'd like to see over here, which means I'm sadly at the mercy of Viz.
    Oyasumi Punpun and I am a Hero are at the top of my VIZ wishlist. Abara and the complete works of Matsumoto Taiyo (#5 reissues ) are also near the top. While I do prefer Kodansha, some of my favorite artists are associated with Shogakukan, so I do keep an eye on VIZ even if I watch Kodansha USA and Vertical a little closer.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I had asked too, a few weeks ago when he first said they were trying to license sci-fi series. Told me no old manga's and that's that

Oyasumi Punpun and I am a Hero are at the top of my VIZ wishlist. Abara and the complete works of Matsumoto Taiyo (#5 reissues ) are also near the top. While I do prefer Kodansha, some of my favorite artists are associated with Shogakukan, so I do keep an eye on VIZ even if I watch Kodansha USA and Vertical a little closer.
    I lied in my earlier post. I'd love to see a Coppelion license, and these guys could make that happen seeing that it's a Kodansha title. I'm slowly easing my way into the Seinen demographic (or 'growing up' in real life terms), and as such I'm beginning to care about seeing some of these obscure titles make it over. I just read Emanon and enjoyed it so I'm seconded on that too.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)

Requests Closed.
    Read my writing here!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about Coppelion, before the earthquake it seemed to be a manga on the rise. All it takes is one fan at either US branch. If you are on Twitter suggest it to @Vertical_Ed. I'm hoping someone is interested in the Emanon manga, even if it is one of the smaller, alternative publishers. I'd also like to see the novels translated into English.

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast