Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Power levels on HxH

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Power levels on HxH

Hello there,first time posting in the HxH section of the forum, I just decided to read the manga and did so in around 4 days, and absolutely loved it for it's "out of the box" pacing, but there's something that's been bothering me and I hope either someone can clarify by remembering certain details I dont or simply create a matter of discussion around here :

Just who exactly fits into the category of the strongest in HunterxHunter?
    Let's see for example Netero,he was considered the strongest in some point of time and so now he was supposed to be half of what he used to be,yet he was the chairman of the hunters association and could be considered the strongest character we've seen so far, aside from the King, then there's the doubt if Ging is or not stronger than Netero,or even on the same level, while he's a top member of the association, one can't exactly know if he was stronger than the current chairman or just below on ranking, he was considered one of the top 5 hunters I believe, so there's no mistaking,he's strong. Aside from hunters we still have the Zoldicks, while Zeno seems the be the strongest of the currently active Zoldicks, we dont know exactly Silva's power or even Illumi's, but assuming he is the strongest,he was apparently on pair with Netero, since he even knew about his ultimate technique, then there's Lucifer,who fought evenly with Zeno and Silva, who I'm not sure is considered a hunter or not, but if he fought evenly with Zeno and Zeno is apparenly on pair with Netero, he most be top tier aswell, and then comes my biggest question, on the celestial tower, it was said that there were floor masters from the 200th floor onwards, and we didnt meet a single one of them,but Hisoka(who wants to fight with Lucifer,so we should assume he's at least close to him,thus making him close to Zeno and by logic Netero), was only on the first floor of the 200th floor and had a close match with a guy who wasnt even a floor master, so we dont know who the floor master of the highest floor of the Celestial tower is, but he should be a beast,and we dont even know if he'll ever get introduced or is alrdy an introduced character, so IMO these power lvls are a bit confusing, one can't possibly know who are the top dogs of the HxH world, could someone explain me in case I've missed something? In any case, discuss :

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power levels on HxH

Generally speaking the Hunters are the strongest people in the world by raw stats. Biscuit is easily physically stronger than pretty much any human character not belonging to the Hunter's association aside from possibly Silva.

That said, for whatever reason a lot of Hunters chose to specialize in abilities that aren't exactly useful for killing people. Biscuit, for example, has absolutely no special ability that aids her in mid combat. Even someone like Morel, who potentially could be a Triple Star Hunter, has an ability that's clearly not meant to kill. So with that in mind, it's always hard to say who would win even despite a power level difference in a world where even the toughest guys have no particular resistance against special abilities like poison or electricity.

Zeno is nowhere near Netero's strength. Netero pretty much says everyone is as strong as him because he's a modest guy, or maybe he just says that to not scare his potential opponents away. Thus far no human characters has display the ability to even have a chance at withstanding Netero's attack. The only way you can deal with Netero's attack is to tire him out, but it's hard to see that done by any one person.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruto2011's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

where would u place Gons adult form on this power scale? he dealt with pitou like he was nothing, if i remember correctly pitou was glad that gon's fangs did not reach the king. Does this indicate that adult gon had enough power to defeat the king?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto2011 View Post
    where would u place Gons adult form on this power scale? he dealt with pitou like he was nothing, if i remember correctly pitou was glad that gon's fangs did not reach the king. Does this indicate that adult gon had enough power to defeat the king?
    Gon's adult form is pretty much the strongest human being in HXH. It's not exactly a secret he's someone with unbelievable potential and his adult form is his peak that he most likely won't ever reach (it'd require Netero-like training, which is crazy even for training freaks, and Gon was never a fan of training). Put it this way, one punch from Yupi can kill Knuckles through a 10K AP buffer (equivlent of 5 Jajakens), but assuming all Royals are roughly equal, you wouldn't expect one punch from Yupi to do significant damage to Pitou, another Royal guard. Yet Gon can incapaciate Pitou in normal hit, and he's also incredibly fast at the same time. Against any human level opponent adult Gon would probably break them in half in one hit, and the best anyone could hope for is some kind of double KO.

That said I don't think Gon can beat Meryem even in his first incarnation. Pitou says 'fangs can reach the King' in the sense that fighting Gon would pose a danger to Meryem. As we can see, Meryem was never in danger while fighting Netero. He could've just stand still the whole fight (he didn't successfully dodge Netero's attack anyway) and just wait for his opponent to get exhausted. Against adult Gon he wouldn't be able to do that since adult Gon should be able to hurt him. However Meryem has off the charts in stats in all physical and mental attributes, so I think he'd have an advantage over Gon who only has off the charts physical ability. Since adult Gon lost an arm to a single hit from Pitou, that means there's no way he can expect to successfully defend against Meryem's attack either. I'm guessing the fight would do something like adult Gon will try a rock on first hit, and if it connects he will do significant damage. If Meryem dodged it, then Gon will die from the counterattack.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When Gon had his arm cut off was the nen shield protecting him at that time, or was he "naked" with no nen defense around him at that period? I would have thought that if Gon wanted to he could had enhanced the durability of his arm so it wouldnt get cut off. i re read the chapter and it seemed that his aura was down during the time his arm was cut off, i think if it was active the arm wouldnt have been cut

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

His guard was down but HXH just isn't a world where you can just tough out an attack by the virtue of power level at least when restricting to human characters. Ubogin's body was cut by characters who are significantly weaker than him. Silva praised the quality of Kuroro's knife for being able to cut him. These two characters seem to be near the top in terms of physical prowess of HXH, and yet it took very little to actually cut their body. The guy wielding 4 swords had no problem cutting Hisoka's body even though his power level was a joke compared to Hisoka. All indications in HXH suggests humans just don't 'tough out' blows in HXH.

I don't think Gon in adult form will die in one hit against Meryem, but certainly he can lose an arm in one hit. On the other hand, Meryem is more than capable of withstanding a lot of hits from Gon assuming his endurance has to be higher than Pitou's. So the fight would still be heavily in Meryem's favor. But again, you're talking about a character who could've defeated Netero by just standing still and wait until Netero ran out of power by his sheer endurance, so the fact that Gon can even threaten Meryem says a lot about his power. Certainly if Meryem just stand still the whole time like he originally offered to Netero (he only stood up because of the wager, not because it was necessary), he would definitely lose to Gon.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yea just by pitou saying that he was glad did not face the king says alot, killuas expression from gons power is astonishing as well as if he never seen anything like this. it would be nice to see this gon again maybe at the end of the manga, because by then gon would have went through a natural progression of growth, then he would have alot more experience and maybe developed some new abilities, thats if his recovery goes well and he trains alot

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto2011 View Post
    yea just by pitou saying that he was glad did not face the king says alot, killuas expression from gons power is astonishing as well as if he never seen anything like this. it would be nice to see this gon again maybe at the end of the manga, because by then gon would have went through a natural progression of growth, then he would have alot more experience and maybe developed some new abilities, thats if his recovery goes well and he trains alot
    I'm pretty sure Gon's transformation is equal to what he'd become if he trained like Netero did, namely went off to a mountain somewhere and trained for decades continously. However, Gon's really not the type of person who is likely to do something like that, so it is entirely possible that he will never reach the same power level as he had in the Ant arc. Really, why would you need to develop any other power when you can kill virtually any human character in the world in one hit?
    Last edited by Phantron; December 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I'm pretty sure Gon's transformation is equal to what he'd become if he trained like Netero did, namely went off to a mountain somewhere and trained for decades continously. However, Gon's really not the type of person who is likely to do something like that, so it is entirely possible that he will never reach the same power level as he had in the Ant arc. Really, why would you need to develop any other power when you can kill virtually any human character in the world in one hit?
    haha very true, but i was meaning by maybe supplementary techniques, he could maybe even further evolve his "paper" or "scissors" abilities, to make combos and what not. but yea your right, his "rock" in that state was truly devastating

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he even needs to use a special move to kill any human. When he kicked Pitou in midair that attack left Pitou completely stunned and coughing up blood. Again, if you assume Royals are roughly equal then you'd not expect a full strength punch from Yupi to do that to Pitou, and a full strength punch from Yupi is 10000 AP buffer + instant kill on Knuckles. At any rate you'd expect any human to definitely be stunned from the impact from just a regular hit since it was enough to stun Pitou, whose physical strength is far beyond any human being, so even if his first hit doesn't kill someone, his enemy would have no chance to escape anyway.

Gon's paper seems to have very good range too. I think he's got the killing department covered pretty well as an adult.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Pariston? I hope he is in the top 5! HxH needs more top villains.... My guess is that the top of HxH (excluding the dead) is composed by Ging, Silva, Chrollo, Pariston and maybe Hisoka... closely behind there are Illumi, the rest of the zodiac, and the rest of Phantom Troupe.

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with talking about power level for villians is that if you're someone who has no respect for the implicit rules of the Hunter's Association then most fights will end as either double KO, or one hit kills. Take Kuroro's fight against Zeno, he used a knife that cut Silva's skin and was coated with an instant paralyzing poison. Against anyone that's not a Z, this would be an instant win because there's no indication that any human without the Z's specialized training can resist poison. Silva appears to be significantly stronger in terms of physical ability compared to Kuroro (Kuroro can't defend successfully against Zeno's attack, and Silva seems like he ought to be stronger physically since he's in his prime compared to Zeno), but his physical strength wouldn't have helped if he didn't have poison immunity.

On the other hand, Hunters, as an organization, seems to have some implicit rules on how to fight people. Even Hisoka follows it to some extent. For example, in the Celestial Tower he always obeys the rules established in the Tower. He pretty much always starts the fight in front of his enemy, and he uses no props that will allow him to bypass an enemy's defenses (his cards clearly are only powerful because he empowers them). For a trivial example, imagine the guy using 4 swords bought the same poison Kuroro used because he wants to make sure he kills Hisoka. As far as we know, Hisoka would have died against that guy since he clearly got cut by those swords, and again there's no reason to believe Hisoka would have poison resistance. So the villians of HXH doesn't need to be very strong at all since there are plenty of props you can use in the world of HXH that bypasses any amount of physical strength. Meryem, after all, was defeated by poison, not by any technique. And yet it'd be really lame if all the fights involve two guy using the most deadly poison they can possibly find, or even just shocking each other with tasers.

I think you can assume in some kind of arena-like enviornment, the Hunter's Association are by far the strongest people in the world compared to any opposition (counting Ilumi and Hisoka as opposition). Biscuit, for example, would trivially defeat either of the two in a Celestial Tower-like enviornment. Of course, the problem is that nobody says you have to fight fair and honorably, and yet on the other hand you can only go so far in the name of 'fight ot the death' before you turn into a fight where people throw bombs, poison, tasers, and other stuff that completely makes any physical difference irrelevent.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if Biscuit would have defeated the two... but when you talk about power level you don't really have to think about tricky abilities. I think about Ren and experience, like when Netero used his Ren to compare with the royal guards.... I'm getting headache to think about levels already! What did Netero mean when he said there are not more than 4 people stronger than Ging?

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErosVp View Post
    I don't know if Biscuit would have defeated the two... but when you talk about power level you don't really have to think about tricky abilities. I think about Ren and experience, like when Netero used his Ren to compare with the royal guards.... I'm getting headache to think about levels already! What did Netero mean when he said there are not more than 4 people stronger than Ging?
    Physical strength basically implies your total AP power since physical strength is a combination of your base strength + aura strength. If you just look at the Ren and experience, Biscuit should be better than either Hisoka or Ilumi (she's also a lot older). However in the end, in HXH what really matters is whether your special abilities are good at killing people and in Biscuit's case, her ability is useless for killing people so despite being much stronger by numbers, she's not necessarily going to win against either of the two in a fight to the death.

Gin is part of the 'top 5' category. Presumably this is still a rating based on observeable Ren/experience since it's hard to imagine some kind of worldwide tournament to determine such ranking. There's no reason to assume other characters we already know about are part of this top 5 since that ought to be common fact if you are part of that ranking, and none of the existing characters fit the profile of 'extremely high observeable power'. There's a difference between having a high observeable power (via Ren) and being actually very good at killing other people. The Hunters are the former and the Zs and Hisoka are the latter. For example Netero has a much higher observeable power than any Z for sure, but the Zs might even be able to kill him if they go all out, not because they can possibly beat Netero straight up but that they're masters of killing people in cheap ways, while Netero clearly tries to fight as honorably as possible.

New Reply