Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Just a little idea.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little idea.

I know this may seem literally years late, but just randomly browsing the net, and coming across the openmanga idea, an idea of my own hit me square in the eyes.

I was reading the comments and people were saying how it would be hard to get the manga writers and ther publishers on board without a money incentive, but heres my idea.

Right, it all depends on the website tracking how many manga you have read, but bare with me.

Every 10 manga chapters you read, you pay £1, thats one great british pound (or 1.50 dollars or whatever). Thats 10 pence (too lazy to work out what it would be in other currencies) per chapter, which i personally think is a good idea, although its just a starting figure for arguments sake.

Now, that may not seem like much of an incentive, but think about it. all those ten pences will add up, especially if its a popular manga.

For example, Manga X (not an actual manga) is a popular manga. It gets...what?...400k views? (could that be considered conservative for a popular manga? (like Naruto, ONe piece etc)).

Now, 400,000 x 10 pence is 4 million pence, thats £40,000, or about $60-70,000 or 4,788,379 Japanese Yen. THAT is an incentive and remember, that is per chapter released, for ten different writers (or writing teams), maybe more if you read more than one manga by the same writer(s). And only for 10 pence every 10 chapters. The only time it would get expensive is if you are a manga-binger who reads dozens, if not hundreds of chapters a day.

But then again, that modest fee might get you otakus out into the light now and then

But to make it better, why not set it up to that 50-60% of that money goes directly to the manga writer(s)?

I've started reading many mangas which stopped early because the writer or writers couldnt afford to continue.

thoughts?
    Last edited by kahn2012; December 30, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a little idea.

why should you get 10 chapters so cheap, if they can have a lot more money? they would want their money for every chapter you read and the mangaka won't get more out of it than before. it's not like the publishers are well-fare instituts... besides the problem of breaking apart your own share would be to be the ine starting it and how to protect it? look at crunchyroll.

New Reply