Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: The Great Power of the Fujoshi

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Great Power of the Fujoshi

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you think the fujoshi will control the demand in the anime/manga market in the future.

There seems to be more series catering to them lately, though moe series are still running around.

I just wanted to share a pretty long in-depth look at the rise of the fujoshi over the past few years. It's at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/153...-fujoshi-power

I remember reading on Sankaku Complex about how some of the otaku were talking about Comiket 81 and it being filled with fujoshi.

Does anyone think the market will continue to shift even further to them? I like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Power of the Fujoshi

Well as long as the market continues to have good looking characters dominate, which will probably be forever, you can bet that Fujoshi will ship relationships.

I don't think that it's like the market is favoring them specifically, it's just ends up that way.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Fujoshi will continue to help drive sales, as they do now, though I daresay they will neither control the market or dictate what is popular. Like their male otaku counterparts they will always be an important market but not the only market.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that 'having the market shifted more to fujoshi' is an exaggerated paranoia. Like Kaiten already mentioned, they are target market, but not the only one. And their number is in no way dominates.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They may dominate Comiket but Comiket is by nature Fujoshi/Otaku turf.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    I feel that 'having the market shifted more to fujoshi' is an exaggerated paranoia. Like Kaiten already mentioned, they are target market, but not the only one. And their number is in no way dominates.
    Yeah, I don't think they are dominating right now, but it seems like they're growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    They may dominate Comiket but Comiket is by nature Fujoshi/Otaku turf.
    Agreed. I don't see why some male otaku might be freaked out by fujoshi being there, honestly.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they'll affect the market since slash fandom occurs anywhere in everything. Supernatural and Sherlock Holmes are two that come to mind. At the same time periphery demographics such as fujoshi do affect tankobon sales to a certain degree* so they shouldn't be completely ignored in terms of marketing.

*The difference between Toriko vs. Mago for example, which I briefly touched on in the WSJ thread.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MisaoFan's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The series when Fujoshi are looking for are any series that features beautifully-drawing bishounen characters, including shonen-action series (especially when being drawed by woman), some seinen in the same manner (Hetalia) and maybe shoujo action series with the male lead like 07-Ghost and Di[e]ce.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I don't think they'll affect the market since slash fandom occurs anywhere in everything. Supernatural and Sherlock Holmes are two that come to mind. At the same time periphery demographics such as fujoshi do affect tankobon sales to a certain degree* so they shouldn't be completely ignored in terms of marketing.

*The difference between Toriko vs. Mago for example, which I briefly touched on in the WSJ thread.
    That's why I find it so interesting is that the fujoshi are being noticed more these days. I mean, slash fandom is found in many series and has been existent for a while now. They've been under the radar until these last few years. I heard Densha Otoko had a key role in getting people familiar with the term. Can we credit that movie for mainstream exposure of that fandom?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like that article by mangatherapy. It touches on some good points, like how male otaku feel threatened, and how fujoshi are important to making a series successful. I think being a fujoshi is just as natural as being an otaku. And I think the more the anime/manga industry realize it, we'll get a lot more interesting titles.

Its like, you want your franchise to have an appeal on multiple demographics, but how do you do it without alienating one over the other? Is there such an anime/manga that can equally appeal to both? I know the essay gives Tiger & Bunny as an example, but I would think there are others too. One Piece has a huuuuuge slash fandom, but it makes sense because it is the most popular thing ever. Toriko having one, however, is kind of questionable.

What I want to know is, how much does Shonen Jump know about its fujoshi fanbase? I read an interesting comment about Jump's demographic compared to Shonen Magazine's:

Quote Quote:
    ...[Shonen] Magazine, has a slightly broader variety of content, though it also panders more towards the older teen/younger man who likes breasts and panties more than Jump does. (Arguably Jump panders more to the yaoi fangirl lately as well, but that’s a highly controversial topic, and it’s easy to see their core titles as still all being for young teen boys.)
    A throw-away comment from here.
    Last edited by Teeba; January 15, 2012 at 03:10 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I really like that article by mangatherapy. It touches on some good points, like how male otaku feel threatened, and how fujoshi are important to making a series successful. I think being a fujoshi is just as natural as being an otaku. And I think the more the anime/manga industry realize it, we'll get a lot more interesting titles.

Its like, you want your franchise to have an appeal on multiple demographics, but how do you do it without alienating one over the other? Is there such an anime/manga that can equally appeal to both? I know the essay gives Tiger & Bunny as an example, but I would think there are others too. One Piece has a huuuuuge slash fandom, but it makes sense because it is the most popular thing ever. Toriko having one, however, is kind of questionable.

What I want to know is, how much does Shonen Jump know about its fujoshi fanbase? I read an interesting comment about Jump's demographic compared to Shonen Magazine's:

A throw-away comment from here.
    I read that article about the difference between Shonen Jump and Shonen Magazine. I think Shonen Jump knows there are female fans out there. Regarding fujoshi, it's possible that they do know about them because of the attention the Japanese media have given them. I mean: didn't Shueisha help to organize a butler cafe in Harajuku for the BLEACH 10th Anniversary a while back?

New Reply