Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

The increasing popularity of social media is gradually changing our society. One of the factors that contribute to the rising power of social media is the constant need to share ideas varying from politics, to brands, to fashion, to music, to manga etc, etc. This constant process of ongoing communication has lead to the development of powerful online communities.

One of the most influencial online community is Facebook. For the past years, it has helped people connect and exchange their experiences online. According to their statistics, there are more than 800 million people using this famous social media platform. Moreover, it has been stated that every month, more than 500 million people use an app on Facebook or experience Facebook Platform on other websites.

However, recently has been unveiled that Facebook is tracking its users even when they are visiting other sites or when they are logged off from their Facebook account. In other words, Facebook collects the information that one is disclosing, tracks and monitors the 'unique identifier' address of that persons’ PC and gathers all relevant information related to that person. The collected data could be could be worth billions when creating 'targeted' advertising based on the sites users visit.

Nevertheless, Facebook claims in its Data Use Policy that “people should own their information. They should have the freedom to share it with anyone they want and take it with them anywhere they want, including removing it from the Facebook Service. People should have the freedom to decide with whom they will share their information, and to set privacy controls to protect those choices.”

What is your opinion on this issue? Do you think that Facebook is protecting your data/information and respects your privacy?

What will you say about this issue if you would analyse it from a "property rights" perspective??
    "I fancy myself as a fine example of womanhood...
    the kind that clambers on a bike and rides off like John Wayne on a horse
    "

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

Use a secure browser such as Comodo Dragon, clear your cookies with some program such a CCleaner, and use false information on social networking sites.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

how about friends and acquaintances (collegues, co-workers, etc)...don't you keep in touch with them through FB?
    "

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, you're concerned about their privacy? I see other peoples privacy as their own business. But I don't keep in touch with anyone from IRL anyway.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

is not that I am concerned about other peoples' privacy, but rather I was curious about your opinion on this particular privacy issue...what would you do in case some friends tag you or just use the location feature to let others know where you at??? simply what do you think abt it..is it right or wrong??

or how would you feel if the information you post on FB would be sold to corporations (for instance you state that you like a certain flavour, a certain song...and later on, the information is sold and used to create a consumer profile for a product or a service)
    "

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't post personal information on sites like Facebook for them to collect just in case it gets abused (and I'm not talking about consumer profiles, and no one I know IRL knows I'm on Facebook either.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts..
    facebook has helped people a lot in their lives, made things at least twice as convenient and has become
    somewhat of a must-have for people around the world..but it has also ruined quite a few people lives..and their privacy.
    You never know what people are doing to your pictures, you never know who is following and watching everything you're doing online
    and because you're never aware of that, your privacy is being exposed so much that you don't even know.
    about property rights..I'm not sure. If you're willing to share it..I mean, you have to accept what people use it for right?
    I don't really think so.
    The same goes for pictures, I've seen various cases of cyberbullying where the "target" is photoshopped into..uh, unpleasent..stuffs.
    Not only that, handphone numbers, addresses...all can be share and spread around.
    But I think people don't know what will happen until it hits them.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Data mining is so widespread in the States nowadays. Every store has a free member card that only requires a phone number and maybe email to activate. I signed up for one at a local sub shop this weekend. I gave them my phone number but at least I can eventually get a free sub eventually

What bothers me about Facebook is the utter and total lack of transparency. What information are they mining, how are they getting it, and who are they selling it to? While that information may be posted somewhere I don't know where to find it. But what really bugs me is that Facebook is a life time commitment. Unless something has recently changed I do not know of a way to completely delete an account. I understand that they make their money from data mining and that members agree upon joining that any information posted is property of Facebook. But there has to be some out clause, if members wish to close their account there should be some way of blocking continued data mining. Yet there is not. Facebook can essentially sell information for as long as it is relevant.

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not only about transparency, but rather about its entire business practice, which is based on pure lies. Mark Zuckerberg said in various interviews that people own their information. The truth is that Facebook owns it and does whatever it wants with it. In its privacy policy (which was recently changed, since the old one was rather deceptive and contained high court language), it is briefly mentioned that FB provides your info to advertisers and apps. However, it is heavily emphasized on its benefits (spinning all the way).

As a professional, I support the idea of targeted advertising, because it is not only advantageous for the user, but also for the economy and society in general. Targeted advertisement, amongst others, increases profits by reducing costs. Besides, it will deliver the right message to the consumer. For example, a man will not be interested in listening about hygiene products, but rather in learning about the new features of a car or a product he is more likely to purchase.

However, as a FB user, I feel uncomfortable when a company uses my information however and whenever it pleases. The worst part is when they affirm that a FB account is for free. Actually, it is not, because if you do not agree with their policy, you will not be able to create one (the same method is applicable for apps and games).
    In my opinion nothing is for free anymore. Everything has a price...

ps: your free member card is actually not free ...It can be seen either as an incentive which stimulates you to buy more products from their shop or as agressive telemarketing (worst case scenario - since they have your number they can call just to let you know about special offers and so on). In the Netherlands, there is a law that impedes telemarketing to consumers which have signed up on https://www.bel-me-niet.nl/.
    "

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    It is not only about transparency, but rather about its entire business practice, which is based on pure lies. Mark Zuckerberg said in various interviews that people own their information. The truth is that Facebook owns it and does whatever it wants with it. In its privacy policy (which was recently changed, since the old one was rather deceptive and contained high court language), it is briefly mentioned that FB provides your info to advertisers and apps. However, it is heavily emphasized on its benefits (spinning all the way).
    Since announcing the upcoming IPO Facebook seems to be coming under some fire for publicly selling a business built on other peoples private information. Zuckerberg is about to become one of the wealthiest men in the world with all of this private info he claims is owned by the users.

Quote Quote:
    As a professional, I support the idea of targeted advertising, because it is not only advantageous for the user, but also for the economy and society in general. Targeted advertisement, amongst others, increases profits by reducing costs. Besides, it will deliver the right message to the consumer. For example, a man will not be interested in listening about hygiene products, but rather in learning about the new features of a car or a product he is more likely to purchase.

However, as a FB user, I feel uncomfortable when a company uses my information however and whenever it pleases. The worst part is when they affirm that a FB account is for free. Actually, it is not, because if you do not agree with their policy, you will not be able to create one (the same method is applicable for apps and games).
    In my opinion nothing is for free anymore. Everything has a price...
    As long as I have full knowledge of what I am signing up for, I do not mind targeted information. If I give my email to a store, I am agreeing to receive advertising. And that is that. But at least I know who I gave my email to and what they are using it for. It really bothers me that FB is disseminating my information far and wide without any way of knowing where it is going.

Rather than free I would say the internet does not cost money. There is still a price to pay, whether it is privacy or direct marketing. And there is always an end user paying for everyone else. They pay facebook for our information, just like they pay google for advertising. Chris Anderson, the editor in chief of Wired Magazine, wrote a great book about internet economics called Free. He refers to internet economy as freemium, a rather interesting way of putting it. But someone is always paying cash, whether premium users or advertisers. And anyone who thinks they are getting something for free are at least sacrificing privacy.

Quote Quote:
    ps: your free member card is actually not free ...It can be seen either as an incentive which stimulates you to buy more products from their shop or as agressive telemarketing (worst case scenario - since they have your number they can call just to let you know about special offers and so on). In the Netherlands, there is a law that impedes telemarketing to consumers which have signed up on https://www.bel-me-niet.nl/.
    Fortunately telemarketing is not allowed in the States. I have a feeling the cashier was supposed to ask for my email but got lazy. Most stores here direct market through email. What they did get though was a clear idea of where I live. The first three digits of my phone number told them what part of the state I live in, the next three gave them a specific location.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess a big part of the issue is also whether we are being caused any damage by whatever practice facebook has. I mean, we are already using this media to make an immense deal of our private information extremely public to begin with... Given that, why would any facebook user have trouble with whatever facebook is doing with the information? If we have trouble with facebook doing something in particular with specific information then that information should have probably stayed out of the web to begin with.... More so, data mining does use your personal information however for it to work, for it to be practical, it also requires millions of other people's information. Its not like there is 1 dude in facebook personally going through your account and selling its information to evil corporations.... They simply have a number of data warehouses which process information which we already made public to begin with.... If anything, I would say people would benefit a decent deal from targeted advertizing. Me, my 3 pictures, my 5 comments, and a few likes a year have no trouble with what facebook is doing lol. Its not like facebook is selling the information they have to rapists and pedophiles, they are just getting the right advertizing to the right people.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Rather than free I would say the internet does not cost money. There is still a price to pay, whether it is privacy or direct marketing. And there is always an end user paying for everyone else. They pay facebook for our information, just like they pay google for advertising. Chris Anderson, the editor in chief of Wired Magazine, wrote a great book about internet economics called Free. He refers to internet economy as freemium, a rather interesting way of putting it. But someone is always paying cash, whether premium users or advertisers. And anyone who thinks they are getting something for free are at least sacrificing privacy.
    I agree....and thanks for mentioning the freemium concept. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, I guess a big part of the issue is also whether we are being caused any damage by whatever practice facebook has. I mean, we are already using this media to make an immense deal of our private information extremely public to begin with... Given that, why would any facebook user have trouble with whatever facebook is doing with the information? If we have trouble with facebook doing something in particular with specific information then that information should have probably stayed out of the web to begin with.... More so, data mining does use your personal information however for it to work, for it to be practical, it also requires millions of other people's information. Its not like there is 1 dude in facebook personally going through your account and selling its information to evil corporations.... They simply have a number of data warehouses which process information which we already made public to begin with.... If anything, I would say people would benefit a decent deal from targeted advertizing. Me, my 3 pictures, my 5 comments, and a few likes a year have no trouble with what facebook is doing lol. Its not like facebook is selling the information they have to rapists and pedophiles, they are just getting the right advertizing to the right people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    It really bothers me that FB is disseminating my information far and wide without any way of knowing where it is going.
    Users should be concerned with Facebook's shady business practice. Why? Simply because one cannot trust a company that lacks transparency and spins lies. Moreover, as Kaiten said, Facebook disseminates information and we do not know where it is going and for which purposes it is used. Let us consider the following example:

The company affirms in its policy that “when you delete an account, it is permanently deleted from Facebook. It typically takes about one month to delete an account, but some information may remain in backup copies and logs for up to 90 days”. Yet, according to its Help Center Page, only the user's name, e-mail address, mailing address, and IM screen name will be deleted. "Copies of some material (photos, notes, etc.) may remain in our servers for technical reasons, but this material is disassociated from any personal identifiers and completely inaccessible to other users. Facebook also does not use content associated with accounts that have been deactivated or deleted."

When a reporter from Cnet asked why copies should be kept at all and for how long, a FB spokesman said:
    Quote Quote:
    When a photo or video is deleted, or when a person deletes his or her account, we quickly delete all of the metadata for the photo as well as any and all tagging and linking information. For all practical purposes, the photo no longer exists, and we wouldn't be able find it if we were asked or even compelled to do so. This is similar to what happens when you delete information from the hard drive of your computer. Technically, the bits that make up the photo persist somewhere, but, again, the photo is impossible to find. It's possible that someone who previously had access to a photo and saved the direct URL from our content delivery network partner (this is different from the Facebook URL) could still access the photo. However, again, the person would have to know the URL, and the photo only exists in the CDN's (content delivery network's) cache for a limited amount of time.
    Personally, I am not satisfied with this particular answer, simply because is misleading. Has he answered why are copies kept and for how long? No. He simply avoided a clear answer. Besides, how can we be sure that the copies of the material are dissociated with our names? The answers provided and the numerous deceptive interviews transformed me into a skeptic.

However, most people are not aware of the issues at hand, or simply don't care. As long as they interact with their loved ones, nothing else matters. My greatest concern is that a large number of Facebook users (20%) consists of teenagers between 13 and 17. At this particular age, the brain is not fully matured. In other words, the teenage brain is less able to inhibit impulsive behaviour than the adult brain is. As a result, teenagers might post content, which has the potential to harm them in the future. A simple picture, a personal detail or a naughty comment posted impulsively could harm one's life or future career (especially in the 2.0 headhunters era).

Now an important question arises: How can an impulsive teen protect himself when he is not even aware of the long term implications of his actions?
    "

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I kinda doubt the information the information is going to kidnappers and pedophiles so far.... Now, it would be rather disturbing if they are giving information to the government to keep tabs on people but even in that scenario the situation does not sound as bad as it would be made out to be. I mean, facebook has already been used to by the police in a fairly standard manner to catch criminals now and then based on their statuses... Would it be so horrible if data mining techniques were used to find any such people for example? I really don't think so. Granted, the extreme scenario where they sell information to repressive governments to keep the people repressed is a horrible one however it is also a extreme one... Any information you wouldn't want others to have should not be on FB to begin with.... And honestly, data mining won't overall reveal private information about an individual (you don't need data mining for that), it would reveal trends and whatnot that apply to large groups of people.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, I kinda doubt the information the information is going to kidnappers and pedophiles so far....
    The truth is that you do not know where your information is going. Any person who has the direct link to the info in question, could access it for an indefinite amount of time.

http://mashable.com/2012/02/06/delet...s-still-exist/
    "

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, information is actually very hard to delete from hardware.... Firms are actually investing a decent bit of money in order to actually do that so that they don't give up information when disposing of old hardware. Heck, a few years ago there was a case of a guy who found thrown away military computers and he simply restored most if not all of the data. In this regard, at least what the article talked about is not entirely facebook's fault, it is an issue which you can have with any piece of hardware. Heck, if you sell a laptop the buyer could potentially restore your information even after you format it (so you should never sell your hard drive if at any point you had information which must absolutely not be revealed). Even then, in the extreme case of a stalker case or worst, for this to work you would have had to be stalked from before you deleted your account... And even then, if you do delete your account then there won't be any new information in it which is something at least. Facebook should find a solution to this issue as it is in the interest of the firm and the account holders however its not just their problem, it is an issue that exists everywhere (facebook gained notoriety for it simply because they are huge). And even then, this issue is unrelated to the data mining thing.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast