Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

Privacy itself is not the whole issue to me, or who that information is being sold to. My problem is that the lack of transparency denies me the choice to make an informed decision. It is a simple matter of being an informed consumer. There is nothing unreasonable about the consumer wanting to know what information is being sold, who are the potential buyers, what their privacy policies are, and if they plan on selling my information to a third party. The general rule of thumb is that if someone is hiding something they have something worth hiding. Nobody expects Facebook to divulge everything and open themselves up to corporate espionage. But if they have nothing to hide they should explain what, who, and how they share members private information. At some point secrecy starts to seem like a cover up even if nothing is being done wrong.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, bear with me a little... but is facebook actually selling information? I might have missed something but considering how facebook supposedly works and what data mining is it does not quite add up.... I have yet to hear of such a thing being done (if I missed it then I would love a link, this is very interesting and I would hate to not know everything about it). From what I know, at no point mined data is even being given to other companies, rather it would seem as if facebook is mining data from users to make sure they get you the proper advertizement. Now, it would be plausible they are doing something under the table but is there any evidence (other than absence of evidence) to support the idea?

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to a FTC (Federal Trade Commission) press release. Read it and share your thoughts on it..

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/11/privacysettlement.shtm

ps: Although it might seem that I'm bashing Facebook, in reality I am not. This particular topic was selected because of the users privacy scandals in which the company has been involved. Moreover, since most MH members have a FB account, I figured that they could easily relate to the topic and express their thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Ancy; February 09, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
    "I've always believed you were meant to stay!
    I guess I was wrong!
    "

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Genesis's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The internet is never private. Just use google and I can find out everything I need about you just by your name. I'm like a real life Light Yagami.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner shinseon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why people should exercise restraint when posting things online. Personally, I don't write anything other than my nickname (not my full name) and a two or three books or movies I like. I don't write where I work, where I'm from, my real age, anything. People who know me will know it's really me, so no big deal.

As far as deleting information off of hardware, it is indeed difficult because (if I remember correctly) there's still some residual electric charge on the transistors(?) that can potentially be read. On the other hand, once the space is overwritten by something else or is overwritten by a (truly) random sequence, it's much, much harder.
    温故而知新,可以为translator矣!

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

we already talked about that,but actually I don't really care about that privacy. of course,I suggest people not post every detail of their life,but even if they had to post some photos,who cares? till now I've got more benefits than side effects

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, has it ever been established to what extent there is a reasonable expectation of privacy when using a social network? Even then, any of the supposed damages this would cause are not things which overall cause damage to the user or that they would ever notice. I honestly don't think the expectation of privacy should be high when you are uploading information to random servers that belong to a company who makes money selling advertizing. Its not like companies which could potentially get this information are hellbent on world domination, locating potential pedophile victims and making private pictures of us drunk as hell public to people other than our friends. They are just going to advertize to us. To be completely honest I don't think this is the sort of scenario where expectations of privacy should be high to begin with. Under that logic, the principle should be to not upload information which we do not want others to see.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The right to privacy is deeply entrenched in American law, if I am not mistaken in European law as well. Damages need not be incurred in order to claim wrong doing in court. The same activities undertaken by other entities would be illegal, whether retailers, employers, schools, university, or any entity that collects personal information. There is also the added dimension of business ethics. Is this a policy Facebook wants to stand by long term, does it have the potential to alienate consumers, and when business conditions change could this policy leave Facebook short of needed consumer good will? It is also a rights question, where does their right to sell information end and consumer right to consent and personal privacy begin? While a voluntary service, Facebook's conduct runs counter to how privacy is handled in regards to other, equally voluntary services, such as retail membership cards or credit card services.
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    Here is the link to a FTC (Federal Trade Commission) press release. Read it and share your thoughts on it..

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/11/privacysettlement.shtm

ps: Although it might seem that I'm bashing Facebook, in reality I am not. This particular topic was selected because of the users privacy scandals in which the company has been involved. Moreover, since most MH members have a FB account, I figured that they could easily relate to the topic and express their thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Ahh, this is long overdue lol. I guess for me the main issue with this would be mostly actual claims made by facebook that they did not actually deliver. Overall facebook was offering privacy which it simply could not deliver considering what their actual business was. I mean, at least as far as I know, facebook makes money on advertizing and games. Targeted advertizing in particular relies heavily on powerful data warehouses and the actual information in them to actually send the right potential customers the right information. In this particular regard perhaps we could argue that privacy is not particularly in the best interest of facebook lol. What should happen here is that facebook should be honest about what they are going to do with the information and leave it up to consumers to decide whether that is acceptable or not. Of course, they would have the issue that "data mining" is a concept most are not familiar with and would perhaps scare consumers. I mean, to this day people who have no personal information in their computers are afraid they are going to get hacked and someone will steal their credit cards numbers (which I can't stress enough, are not there to begin with). As funny as that is I have actually had that conversation.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The right to privacy is deeply entrenched in American law, if I am not mistaken in European law as well. Damages need not be incurred in order to claim wrong doing in court. The same activities undertaken by other entities would be illegal, whether retailers, employers, schools, university, or any entity that collects personal information. There is also the added dimension of business ethics. Is this a policy Facebook wants to stand by long term, does it have the potential to alienate consumers, and when business conditions change could this policy leave Facebook short of needed consumer good will? It is also a rights question, where does their right to sell information end and consumer right to consent and personal privacy begin? While a voluntary service, Facebook's conduct runs counter to how privacy is handled in regards to other, equally voluntary services, such as retail membership cards or credit card services.
    Well, my own impression on the subject is that even now the whole thing is highly subjective and even now people are trying to figure out the whole privacy stuff. The laws are there however overall facebook and social networking is still a rather new phenomenon in the grand scheme of things and its actual impact on society is still actually unknown as is the case with basically any new technology. Now, if we are large are still trying to comprehend the whole thing how do we make laws about it? How do we set society's expectations of the whole thing? Based on what where the laws made? Did the lawmakers had any understanding about information systems and such? Are any expectations people could based on well... something?

Retail membership cards and credit card services are entirely different industries though (and the purpose of retail membership cards is precisely to mine data). And even then, as far as I know those guys do sell information to others.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

....and Facebook strikes again. http://www.examiner.com/article/face...ry-short-names

...In my opinion, FB is heading towards a dangerous path...Asking users to provide id copies in order to prove their identity is a NO NO.
    "I've always believed you were meant to stay!
    I guess I was wrong!
    "

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

FB is just being dumb here. If there is someone who really has malicious intentions, they can come up with a real-sounding name and still can get others to vouch for it. FB is going down the path of MySpace and it's providing a vacuum for other social media to expand into.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, merely asking others to provide some information does not seem the most secure way to go about this. What if you don't know the person? What if you just happened to appear in a picture with that person once? I don't think even asking people they appear in pictures with would help. I mean, if someone appears on many pictures through several users with the same identity then odds are the person in question is actually real and not a fake identity. In turn, someone with a fake identity would not have that many friends or let alone appear in friends pictures. Even if they intend on cross referencing pictures, would that cause that merely not uploading pictures makes you suspicious? While their intentions are good, they certainly aren't doing anything that would solve the problem. What they need is a report system where users can report being bullied among other things. Reports get inspected (which unfortunately would have to be done manually to a great degree and would also have privacy implications) and measures can be taken directly. I guess the issue with this is that facebook has many hundreds of millions of users.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how secure fb itself is. One company having such large amounts of data is likely to attract constant cyber attacks. The extent of its involvement in sharing of information with governmental organisations is not known, and neither is how easily it is for regimes to target and monitor dissident citizens inside and outside their borders through fb. That terrifies me more than Facebook telling Zynga that I might like their new cat game.
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of these regimes actually block facebook. imperium, you fool!!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Only 7 countries in the world block facebook. China, Vietnam, Iran, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Syria and Bangladesh.
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast