Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Facebook privacy issues....Do you feel like "Big Brother" is watching you?

I'd say my biggest annoyance about the whole data collection fiasco is Google's involvement. I recently found out that my anonymous gmail and my private communications gmail (which has my name on it) were connected. Google has now put my name on the email I use for, say, registering on forums. I don't want my name tied to my meager online presence. It's far too easy to extrapolate my political views and judge me on that basis.

Adding insult to injury, Google also tried to to mandate I provide my name on my youtube channel. No way! I don't want to expose to the world my browsing history or what videos I watch. Where I live, job investigations are so thorough and insane that many companies brag about looking at their prospective employee's FB profile and fashion choices. This pisses me off, so I try to restrain my footprint. But now Google is trying to force me into publishing this info.

It's absurd. As librarians are not allowed to provide lists of what books I checkout to anonymous venders, Google should not be allowed to provide lists of internet goods that I look at. What I do with my personal time is no one's business. Plus, only morons looking for a reason to say "no" would judge or care about me, say, reading (what they'd call childish) manga or listening to (what they'd call devil-worshipping) symphonic metal. I don't need to give my information to ignoramuses who would judge me based on my interests and political views rather than my merit.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saint Markus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Brother has been watching us, since civilizations came out of the savage like era. This isn't about morality or control for the matter, it's seriously about "balance". Unfortunately, human beings in general are dangerous by nature and you need things like law, money and order to maintain stability in order to prevent chaos. The world isn't perfect right now, but the way it use to be...f**k that noise.

Not defending Big Brother, but I understand why it exist and works the way it does.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Facebook is preparing to launch a new feature, which together with its Timeline and Newsfeeds form Facebook's three Pillars of getting information. It is said that it will help users...but it is really for users or for companies?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ark-zuckerberg

What do you think?
    "Take off your mask
    And you will see
    The freak in you
    The freak in me!
    "

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh, facebook because what it is because of it's users, quite frankly no private company could have done what private individuals can do. I am more scared of Google though, facebook is following their tracks so closely, whenever I see how youtube knows what I searched and is linking me to other things I might like it scares me to no end. It seems facebook works best with a smaller community, now that it's grown this much, it's hard to control it really. :/

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    Facebook is preparing to launch a new feature, which together with its Timeline and Newsfeeds form Facebook's three Pillars of getting information. It is said that it will help users...but it is really for users or for companies?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ark-zuckerberg

What do you think?
    For users of course. Facebook is currently hemorrhaging users and its trying to get the ones they already have to stay and get newer ones in emerging markets. Companies have better methods to organise data they get than having to resort to a rather simplistic gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Buffynut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they're watching. But in regards to what I do on the Internet, or elsewhere for that matter, they'd have to be pretty bored to care. I'm pretty boring.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AMCApril's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even have that much info about me on Facebook
    and besides what is there to hide?

they can't just go and come after my butt for crap
    I do think they should not do what they do though

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Fortunately telemarketing is not allowed in the States. I have a feeling the cashier was supposed to ask for my email but got lazy. Most stores here direct market through email. What they did get though was a clear idea of where I live. The first three digits of my phone number told them what part of the state I live in, the next three gave them a specific location.
    Is this true? What should one do if they receive a telemarketing phone call? It becomes troublesome at the workplace when people call during business hours trying to market [item/service/food] or other troll phone calls (you'd be surprised how many of that exists). (Sorry for the derail but I never knew telemarketing was illegal).

Td;lr Version

- Privacy issues is not just with Facebook. Facebook, in my opinion, is a tool for social networking. How you use it will either hurt, help, or [nothing] you.
    - What is "Big Brother"? Is it an organization?
    - Everything can be tracked back to you. I read an article recently from CNN that discussed this issue. I don't think it's a bad thing but it's like - Gah! My privacy!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can sign up to stop them from calling you for minimum of three years, or max of three years. I forgot the link, but Google it.

Facebook like with any other social media site has its own risks along with benefit. Twitter, LinkedIn, and so much more are risky that you can't just blame Facebook, but it's probably the worst of the social media. But it's up to you to know and use it wisely. Like, don't tell people you robbed a bank on Facebook or any social media site. You gonna get caught.

"Big Brother" is another word for FBI, I think? It's related to the government in some way though.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Brother is a character from 1984...it's used to refer to an omnipresent government.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Companies have an interest in your information because they make money off of it. Personally-speaking, the usage of data should not even be incurred at all because abuses of it are too dangerous and big to ignore. The worse part though is that what info companies such as Google and Facebook collect is forwarded towards Uncle Sam. Every e-mail/text/post/web search/phone call/etc. you make is forever recorded in a government database. It's a gross violation of civil rights (goodbye 4th Amendment!) on top of wreaking of totalitarianism.

Surprisingly, the USA has one of the worse records when it comes to bullying companies for info. Then again it isn't a surprise when one considers how a good chunk of the US political elite despises democracy.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

you know, i decided a while back when facebook started suggesting a bunch of people to me, and sharing stuff i wanted private, and one of my ex GFs was stalking me

that facebook was too intrusive, and not only that , they do not let you "delete" your account, you can only deactivate it

hey facebook ITS MY FUCKING ACCOUNT

so why can i not delete it?

sorry facebook is NOT for kisame

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess you could just delete everything on it pics/posts/tags/likes. It's easier that way, if you cannot deactivate it and change the name of the account as well and the email that's linked to it.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Facebook does have a delete option as well as the deactivation. Here if anyone is interested. It is not generally as well known though because its hidden sneakily away.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    that facebook was too intrusive, and not only that , they do not let you "delete" your account, you can only deactivate it

hey facebook ITS MY FUCKING ACCOUNT

so why can i not delete it?
    I hate to be that guy but it's not really "your" account. As in, it's not actually your property. You make an account on Facebook's website. It's unnervingly deceiving but unsurprising in every way. They are easily the most intrusive website ever but you did choose to sign up. They only know what you let them know.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3