Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Rate the Chapter!

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (Awful/Boring)

1 0.65%
  • 2 (Average)

14 9.09%
  • 3 (Good)

59 38.31%
  • 4 (Great!)

55 35.71%
  • 5 (Epic!)

21 13.64%
  • 6 (Top Ten in One Piece)

4 2.60%
New Reply
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: One Piece 653 Discussion

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Hamlet's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece 653 Discussion / 654 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHair View Post
    I believe u guys missed my point a bit. Having a purpose in the story doesn't not mean "strength". I did not say Coby will stay weak or that he won't become a Admiral. Im not declining or refusing to accept facts. Im not that kind of self absorbed guy.

As to Cobys greater growth in strength. You see this is like running a marathon. The first steps are always easy, it comes down to the last steps. Now Coby started from the very beginning, so basically it was easy for him to reach that lvl. However Luffy and the others were much stronger from the beginning, which also means they will progress less faster. In time when Coby reaches their lvl, he will probably display the same speed in growth.

About Haki, as a future Admiral its only natural for him to have haki. But not sure if Shanks and Luffy foresaw that skill in him. Luffy didn't know of haki back then, he was just attracted to his words as a friend with determination. As for Shanks he was most likely more moved by his words than seeing great CoO in him.
    This is the BH I know haha xD BH, when I mentioned potential, I wasn't talking about Haki. It's like what Luffy said back then,"Coby is a capable man."
    Garp chose them and decided to take them as pupils to MHQ because, I believe, he saw a great potential in them, especially Coby. Coby isn't like any marine we saw so far. I like him. As for Shanks, like you said, he was moved by his words and actions before Akainu.
    What I didn't like is the thought that Coby is just a waste of character. I am not the sole person who finds Coby an interesting character.
    Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tret16 View Post
    well actually i understand that you want Aokiji to be the next Fleet admiral, but the fact that he left the marines might work againts him on becoming the fleet admiral in the end of the manga.

BUT, if were too look at it in another direction, i could see him becoming the fleet admiral untill Coby was old enough to take over the position, cause if you think about it, Aokiji is the next generation under Sengoku and then it goes to Coby. Another way you can look at it is Aokiji doesn't necessarily need to become the fleet admiral, he could end up replacing Kong as supreme military commander and then Coby will be fleet admiral.
    AokIji left the marine because he knew with Akainu as the head the marines will become darker. I mean for that reason I also believe he fought against him, despite having normally a laid back attitude. That said in the war I believe he will fight alongside Luffy/Dragon to change the world. Eventually to join again and change the marines. After all on his own he failed to change it.

As for ur ideas, I actually like them xD Still I don't think at the end of the story Coby will be a fleet admiral, he is way too young and therefore too inexperienced to lead a army. Honestly i don't even see him as a Admiral without a time skip. But lets see what Oda has planned for us.

In all respect Im honestly fine with anything, as long he doesn't collide with a existing character.

Quote Originally Posted by acurabot View Post
    I've never saw Coby as another Garp - that is clearly Smoker. Coby's character was built to enhance Luffy's in my opinion. Why I say this? Because to me, when Luffy goes against the WG or BB in the final stages of the story, Coby will be that one high ranked marine who'll support him. He will become the new era for the marines by disregarding his duties for his beliefs in which fellow marines will follow. Coby isn't a waste of character, as we follow his growth, we will learn how corrupt the marine is within the higher ranks - as will be seen gradually as Coby increases in rank. His more of a supporting role rather than a main role imo.
    I also understand ur points, however this all can be archived by any other character.
    • The man to change the marines can be easily AoKiji as the fleet Admiral. He fought Akainu despite showing normally no ambition
    • Luffy will have on his side every Island he visited, WB alliance and Dragon + at least one ancient weapon. Its not like he needs Coby desperately
    • We don't need Coby to learn how corrupt the Marines are, in fact Coby showed us nothing new
    Anyway, my point still is that he has no sole purpose at this point. Everything he can do now, can be easily done by any other character.

Quote Originally Posted by akatsukichro View Post
    This is the BH I know haha xD BH, when I mentioned potential, I wasn't talking about Haki. It's like what Luffy said back then,"Coby is a capable man."
    Garp chose them and decided to take them as pupils to MHQ because, I believe, he saw a great potential in them, especially Coby. Coby isn't like any marine we saw so far. I like him. As for Shanks, like you said, he was moved by his words and actions before Akainu.
    What I didn't like is the thought that Coby is just a waste of character. I am not the sole person who finds Coby an interesting character.
    Ah I see, I got that wrong then. xD

I understand. But I can't stand the fact that he seems to be a character without s purpose on his own. In case he collide with anyone, I will actually start to hate him xD

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

well actually you can say that his purpose is to show what upcoming marine generation will be taught. right now the generation that is in charge is akainu's generation. could you imagine if akainu trained the rest of the new marines? that would be completely messed. Garp seems to be training new marines from now on, along with sengoku. So you can say that Coby is the preview of what future marines are goin to be like.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Giri View Post
    doesnt make any sense. he was on luffy's tail before he found out that he was dragon's son.
    Quote Originally Posted by akatsukichro View Post
    Smoker didn't even know the connection between Luffy and Dragon, until the war, that is. He couldn't even make a guess xD
    You may forget that He got obsessed with Luffy after Dragon saved him in Loguetown. So it's obvious that the obsession lies in Dragon, not essentially in Luffy.
    It doesn't make sense to be in someplace for years and just move because someone got away your watch. More when you know particularly where they head. And to add, He decided to follow Luffy just because Dragon saved him as well. So the hints his following is Dragon here.
    Quote Originally Posted by grin View Post
    Months... I resisted for months from posting here... I couldn't resist to the Coby/Garp/Smoker VS Luffy/Roger.
    Hm and, almost forgot, hello all!
    Hello and Welcome! And it's a nasty temptation, I agree :P May I ask why you avoided posting until now?
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    You may forget that He got obsessed with Luffy after Dragon saved him in Loguetown. So it's obvious that the obsession lies in Dragon, not essentially in Luffy.
    But. Luffy wounded his pride by being the first pirate to escape from Loguetown - and he astounded Smoker as he smiled upon his certain death. Chapters 99 and 100 clearly say IMHO that Smoker was impressed by this as Luffy pulled the same thing as none the less but Gold Roger who died with a big grin.

If Smoker was more after Dragon than Luffy, he wouldn't have tracked him down to Arabasta, nor would he toss Tashigi aside in Marineford only to attack Luffy directly, would he?

(AFAIR, data books also say sth. about Smoker hunting Luffy not Dragon.)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BlindMunkey's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Uriel Probably didnt wanna make a new account that you have to keep track off. lol besides its addicting like you said.

spoiler should be out soon - cant wait
    Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity elitefox's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHair View Post
    I believe Im the only guy who stated Coby as a waste of screen character, therefore you two can address me with name instead of referring with "you guys" or "people".

If I may explain my thoughts, every character has a greater purpose in this story. I fail to see Coby's. Im seeing in him just a runner up character, someone who comes in 2nd place, nothing more.

I understand ppl expect him to be represent Garp in this era, while Luffy does Roger. However Smoker has that place already, a third Garp is unnecessary. I also understand that ppl expect him to change the marine from within, but I believe AoKiji (future fleet admiral) will have that role, after the WG's defeat and Dragons takeover.

So plz enlighten me, what is the great meaning in his character? He is just gong to be a Admiral, isn't it? Imho his character build is so damn meaningless if that is all.

I really wonder why there is a fighting over who will take over Garp's place lol

there can be more than 1, really
    CLEANED

New Reply
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21