Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)...?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ace's Death

15 22.73%
  • Gol D. Roger being Ace's father

9 13.64%
  • Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama

11 16.67%
  • Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

6 9.09%
  • Shirahoeshi being Poseidon

6 9.09%
  • Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou

3 4.55%
  • Luffy - Dragon - Garp

4 6.06%
  • Duval looking like the image on Sanji's wanted poster

7 10.61%
  • Robin joining the Strawhats

4 6.06%
  • Shanks stopping Akainu and saving Cobi in the war

1 1.52%
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Surprising/Shocking Moment (Plot Twist)

I'm honestly a bit surprised at how many consider Ace's death the most surprising moment of the manga. Basically, the whole war was based around Ace's execution. It's not like Ace dying was completely out of the blue, it was one out of two almost equally likely outcomes.

Yeah, I guess you could argue that it was shocking because it was the first non-flashback, on-screen death of a major character. Yeah, Luffy fought hard to save him. But I'd hardly call Ace dying a "major plot twist". A plot twist is a turn of the events, when there's a change in the expected outcome or direction the plot is going in. If the arc is about Ace being close to dying, I'd say him being killed off isn't THAT surprising. And definitely more of a regular plot point than a plot twist.

Hell, I'd say Whitebeard being stabbed in the back by Squardo much more surprising than Ace dying. That was a straight-up twist, nothing had actually indicated that it would happen.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

although i didn't like that part and I wasn't sad there,ace's death was shocking because I really didn't expect him to die.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    I'm honestly a bit surprised at how many consider Ace's death the most surprising moment of the manga. Basically, the whole war was based around Ace's execution. It's not like Ace dying was completely out of the blue, it was one out of two almost equally likely outcomes.

Yeah, I guess you could argue that it was shocking because it was the first non-flashback, on-screen death of a major character. Yeah, Luffy fought hard to save him. But I'd hardly call Ace dying a "major plot twist". A plot twist is a turn of the events, when there's a change in the expected outcome or direction the plot is going in. If the arc is about Ace being close to dying, I'd say him being killed off isn't THAT surprising. And definitely more of a regular plot point than a plot twist.

Hell, I'd say Whitebeard being stabbed in the back by Squardo much more surprising than Ace dying. That was a straight-up twist, nothing had actually indicated that it would happen.
    Its true that he was on scaffold for execution, means he had a 50/50 chance. However given the fact that WB would die on that battlefield and the fact the main protagonist Luffy was fighting to save him, I honestly didn't saw that coming. At that time I just couldn't see WB's great sacrifice and Luffy's hard effort to go in vain. Now I wasn't shocked or anything, nor did I make a "wtf face", but I do understand ppl nominating Ace's death.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

those two:

Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama
    Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

are the same ...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

No there is a chapter difference :-)

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    those two:

Kuma splitting the crew & Luffy being unable to protect a single nakama
    Kuma made Zoro disappear on Sabaody Archipelago

are the same ...
    Its not the same (for me). While I was suprised as Kuma made Zoro disappear, I wasn't even slightly suprised as he made the rest of the crew disappear. After all the blank speech bubbles with Rayleigh, it was clear that he intended to save the SHs.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Kuma splitting the crew INCLUDES making Zoro disappear. Your event is included in mine. The rest is semantics.

Oda disbanding the strawhats for more than 100 chapters (I think ?) is for me by far the most surprising thing I read in a manga. Oda took a huge risk at storytelling level. It's not a question about being saved. It's a question about doing a manga about only Luffy & not the strawhats for a huge amount of time
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 26, 2012 at 09:15 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes but I don't think those who will vote for that will vote for it for this reason. In fact that would makes it divide in 2 more sensible, one for the twist (a clifhanger) and one for the storytelling (100 chapters). But I doubt people will vote with that in mind anyway

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

It was nominated separately, so it's in the vote separately. surprises/shocks are a very subjective matter anyway, so please respect the nominations and vote for your favorites. =)

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Kuma splitting the crew INCLUDES making Zoro disappear. Your event is included in mine. The rest is semantics. [...]
    You don't get my point. The event is divided in two chapters, with two different cliffhanger. While I had a "wtf" reaction on Zoro's disappearance, I did not have a asimilar reaction for the rest of the crew. As Zoro disappeared, we couldn't explain anything. But as Kuma made the rest disappear we could explain ourselves with legit theories.

It is true that both are linked to one, to be precise Zoro's disappearance is part of the whole crew's, however this award is about "most surprising/shocking moment". If both events can be only considered as one and same, then it deserves no nomination at all in my eyes. Since repeating events/cliffhangers can't be as surprising as the first one.

Anyway, I can't explain better than this, if u still don't get my point then lets agree to disagree.
    Last edited by BlackHair; January 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: changed the quote

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that you don't understand Zellogan either. What surprise him the most, was that Oda separate the strawhat for so long. Kuma event being only the start from this separation

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right indeed. It seems I started writing after his first line and missed his point altogether xD Anyway should be clear for both of us now. As Akainu said the definition of surprising/shocking is entirely subjective. So lets agree to that we have different understanding of that specific event. But to begin with, I voted for Poseidon xD

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the key word being overlooked here is moment, while the separation is a set of moments, Zoro's disappearance is a moment that started a chain of events, I would argue that even Luffy vanishing in the end can be taken as a surprise even if the whole crew went through it all, he is the main character after all.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy declaring war to BM . That surprised me and at the same time it pleased me 'cause after their confrontation Luffy's bounty will skyrocket and he's gonna be more infamous than he is

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

No Kuma appearance at thriller bark? I remember APforums went all HOLY S**T when it happened. NO body saw it coming.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3