Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Most Overrated Character?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Third Hokage

15 14.02%
  • Sasuke

24 22.43%
  • Hanzou

21 19.63%
  • Kakashi

5 4.67%
  • KinGin Brothers

10 9.35%
  • Nagato

6 5.61%
  • Orochimaru

5 4.67%
  • Naruto

2 1.87%
  • Konan

2 1.87%
  • Kisame

2 1.87%
  • Minato

15 14.02%
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Character

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Overrated Character

I will nominate Hatake Kakashi
    his attacks and his sharingan arent that good like everyone thinks

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My nomination is....Naruto. Ever since he dodged A's fastest attack, people have been expecting him to OP every single opponent he meets, when he's never shown the ability to sustain that speed. Keep in mind that he didn't launch a counterattack or anything after the dodge...all he did was dodge.

I'd also like to argue against Kakashi or Sasuke being overrated. I saw some posts talking about his fights with Bee and the Kages...you do realize that Bee is a Kage-level perfect jinchuuriki, right? There's no shame in being beaten by Bee, whatsoever. We saw him react to Hiraishin, for crying out loud. Dude is definitely one of the better shinobi out there. As far as the Kages, they're...kinda the Kages, no? He fought one to an effective draw, took attacks from another (plus three Jounin), fought another Kage after that (and did poorly), was almost nuked by one, and then proceeded to defeat the last one. All things considered, he did better than the majority of shinobi would have done there (Sage Mode Naruto at that point is arguably blitzed by A, has no confirmed defense against Mei or Oonoki's attacks, is unlikely to dodge Gaara's sand, and would probably have trouble with Danzou...and Sage Mode Naruto is in the top tier of shinobi himself)

Regarding Kakashi, I'd say it's hard to call him overrated because no one thinks of him as a true top shinobi...he knew he'd need help to fight Pain, Kakuzu, etc, and he was having trouble with an exhausted Sasuke. He's top of the Jounin class, to be sure, but he's below the level of Jiraiya, Bee, etc., and the Kages.

Btw, thinking about this question, I realized that even calling Naruto overrated is a stretch. For the most part, characters are as advertised. Maybe Danzou? You could say you expected more strategy from someone with his experience.
    Avoiding debates with people below a certain level of English comp.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ninjabot's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with Hiruzen Sarutobi aswell. Atleast with the other characters I deem overrated (Nagato, Jiraiya), they atleast have feats that put them close to the level people believe they are (or in Nagato's case, outrageous hax). For Sarutobi we're going on hype alone, and one fight against an opponent who was toying with him and using puppets that paled in comparison to their living selves.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sevenheadedmirror's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Hatake Kakashi he has been useless for quite a while now, save his entertaining the tailed beasts there's nothing that makes him the super-hyped next-in-line-to-be-hokage ninja that other characters in the narutoverse give him credit for.

On a side note Sarutobi defeated two Hokages at his old age, his hype is hence not only justified but if he were to be 'overrated' so should be his two opponents.
    Last edited by Sevenheadedmirror; January 19, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
    To in infer something and pose it as implied in the source is to justify something.
    The justification that an arc or a story sucks because the author is as tired as us from it can't apply since it's the author's fault it sucks to begin with.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiruzen was pretty legit. He faced off against multiple high-level techniques, and at the end of the day, was responsible for the sealing of the 1st and 2nd Hokages, as well as delaying Orochimaru's plans. He did his thing, it's a shame that the only legitimate fight we got from him was him at like 70 years old.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Side note: Even with the Gold/Silver brothers, they were part of a squad that took out the 2nd Hokage, right? So I wasn't really expecting them to be SUPER powerful (the key word was squad for me), and IMO, prior to the Kyuubi activation, they were roughly on the level of a high-Jounin. I can't really say they were overrated per se, but Ginkaku did seem to scare easily.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Prince Sasuke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a few people that automatic pops into my head (jiraiya,kakashi). But the most overrated character by far is Hanzou!!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity KiSwordsman's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tuff call between Kakashi and Hiruzen. However, putting my dislike for the copycat ninja aside, I'm going with hiruzen. For shit sake we've seen so much more from Kages of his generation and even previous to his yet some people still hold to the belief that he was the strongest just because Kishimoto said it way back when. The funny thing is I use to have hiruzen's back when people talked shit about him, but the more chapters passed, the harder it got. Now I can't defend him anymore because Kishimoto has made it extremely difficult.

It's like trying to defend Nagato nowadays after Kishmoto has not only stated that he was given the Rin'negan, but we also learned that all the jutsu he used basically came with it. So he didn't create them like we originally thought. which basically means he can't receive credit for anything.
    Last edited by KiSwordsman; January 19, 2012 at 05:25 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PuPs's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Sasuke

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shit, I forgot about Hanzou...dude fought the Sannin before they were the Sannin, and people thought he was going to be godly...can I change my vote to Hanzou?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member julian ross's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Kakashi like many said. 1000 jutsus? he never showed them , and he only spams kamui and raikiri...

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julian ross View Post
    Kakashi like many said. 1000 jutsus? he never showed them , and he only spams kamui and raikiri...
    He's shown a lot more than that. I think we've seen Kakashi and Jiraiya use more jutsu than anyone else combined. Of course he spams raikiri though, it's his assassination jutsu, he uses it to kill people. Kamui is only used when needed. Note that there was no fight started with Kamui except for vs. Deidara, and it's been quite a few years.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmh... this is a hard one... Hizuren, Tsunade, Hanzou, Nagato, Konan and Jiraiya are somehow overrated in my opinion, be it hyped by Kishi or in this forum.

I don't choose Hizuren, because he is the only one who couldn't prove himself in Part 2, where Kishi messed up with the whole power scale.
    Tsunade is one of the greatest Medic Ninjas out there, so I won't nominate her.
    Edo Hanzou was an absolute disappointment, but in the past he beat the Sannin youngsters.
    Nagato & Jiraiya are a little bit hyped in this forum, yet both of them showed in the Manga that they belong to the top tier in the Ninja world.

Therefore I nominate Konan. I don't give her any credit for harming Tobi or forcing him to use Izanagi. And she is... how can I describe it... not very clever. She could ruin Tobis plan to some point by destroying the Rinnegan, instead she choosed to boost Tobi to a whole another level.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Knatz's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

NARUTO
    it is my belief that the ninja called naruto is very weak but that is concealed/hidden behind the jinchuriki and sage also called naruto

The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Be aware that i only started reading the manga back in 400's chapters, so everything else is based on the anime. But don't you guys think Sai was/is kinda overrated???

He never met my expectations, which were kinda high, since his goals back when he was introduced weren't for weaklings. But somehow he always ended being a disappointment.
    So i am going to nominate Sai, but i could had nominated Hiruzen. But i don't agree with people saying he showed techniques that even a chuunin could perform. Even if he was hyped he would never be bellow jounin. But i also don't think he had the skills to be the best kage ever.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

kisame. people think he could defeat bee,or that he was stronger than A. in my opinion,he wasn't so great,and his death confirmed that,also,he admitted his great difference between itachi and himself.

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast