Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Garp Haki

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp Haki

So, so far in the series, everyone who has used the busoshoku haki has had their parts turn black, but garp didn't. So i'm wondering, is garp haki that advance to the point where it's undetectable?

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garp Haki

Not really, Garp's hand did turn black when fighting Chnjao in the flashback:

Spoiler show

Tho when he was at Marineford it was not.^^
    Last edited by Josef K.; April 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Garp does use haki, but the blackening of the haki-infused object wasn't thought of before the timeskip, which is probably why Garp's hand stayed normal. Though, his strength seems to be out of the world, so I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't use haki in the manga so far other than in Chinjao's flashback.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp using haki is a given.... He even used it against luffy back when they met at water seven. His punch hurt luffy remember? Haki is a generic skill, we should just assume someone like garp would be a master of it in every regard. Heck, that doctor even told coby and helmepo to ask garp to teach them about haki.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

can you put haki on air as well? ?like zoro slashing monet's eye with an air slash.. was that with haki??? cause it actually cut monet from a distance..

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Garp using haki is a given.... He even used it against luffy back when they met at water seven. His punch hurt luffy remember? Haki is a generic skill, we should just assume someone like garp would be a master of it in every regard. Heck, that doctor even told coby and helmepo to ask garp to teach them about haki.
    What if he's strong enough to hurt Luffy even without needing haki, though?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member KuroKarasu's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't use haki when attacking Luffy. It's a fist of love. But in other fights it's sage to assume he always uses haki.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimtors View Post
    can you put haki on air as well? ?like zoro slashing monet's eye with an air slash.. was that with haki??? cause it actually cut monet from a distance..
    I would argue the attack had haki, there is no reason for us to think that air alone would actually hurt monet.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    What if he's strong enough to hurt Luffy even without needing haki, though?
    I guess its plausible but the way the manga dealt with that IMO suggests otherwise. I mean, garp at that point would have easily turned luffy into a bloodstain whether he used haki or not however this was said. That sounds a lot like this situation for example which definitely had haki involved. Garp is a master of haki known for his fists, it makes sense he would be reckless enough to hit luffy with a haki charged punch. If anything such a thing should be second nature to him....

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

But him not using haki would also make sense, probably as a way to tell Luffy how weak he is. I still don't think Garp used haki, unless that's the only way fists can hurt Luffy no matter how strong.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    But him not using haki would also make sense, probably as a way to tell Luffy how weak he is. I still don't think Garp used haki, unless that's the only way fists can hurt Luffy no matter how strong.
    If garp uses haki to tell that to luffy then he is wasting his time, luffy learned of the existence of haki 250 chapters later or so. It would be the equivalent to speaking to luffy in chinese or something... It is only rarely we have actually seen luffy take damage from normal physical attacks and they all involve haki.... Just look at the rob luccy fight... Most of the damage luffy took was not from normal punches but rather claws, shigans, bites, slashes, rokugan and his own gears. Very rarely has luffy actually been hit by regular punches and he usually does simply brush them off.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda started to draw Haki in black after TS just to facilitate our understanding or how characters use it.

Garp always used Haki when hurting Luffy - even with the fist of love - but these part of the fight was not as precise as it is today.
    I mean that before the chapter 3D2Y we didn't had a good explaination of haki.
    So IMO, Oda just wanted to be more understandable.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    If garp uses haki to tell that to luffy then he is wasting his time, luffy learned of the existence of haki 250 chapters later or so. It would be the equivalent to speaking to luffy in chinese or something... It is only rarely we have actually seen luffy take damage from normal physical attacks and they all involve haki.... Just look at the rob luccy fight... Most of the damage luffy took was not from normal punches but rather claws, shigans, bites, slashes, rokugan and his own gears. Very rarely has luffy actually been hit by regular punches and he usually does simply brush them off.
    We know sharp stuff hurt Luffy, but what about strong punches? Garp seems to have a different level of strength, being able to throw cannonballs and all.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Then again Whitebeard also used haki when he punched Akainu to the ground, Boa always fights with haki, so I kind of agree with Sproumfch it's a way to stress the "armament" deal of it all. It was evident with Vergo that Oda meant serious business in the "blackness" department.

New Reply