Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Mihawk's Power Level

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mihawk's Power Level

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPhoenix View Post
    like how a regular slash cuts a island sized iceberg clean in half?
    What do you define as a regular slash? To me, Mihawk's slashes are never regular. And I never said that Mihawk didn't have exceptional Haki, I said that I do not believe his Haki to be stronger than Shanks'.

A two-handed slash from Mihawk split an Iceberg in half:
    Spoiler show

While Shanks, merely clashing with Whitebeard, split the skies.
    Spoiler show

I do believe Shanks and Mihawk to be on par with each other. I need to see more of the two to decide if one is stronger than the other.
    Last edited by TheLuffySmile; January 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Hey, Ace! Sabo's alive man! just thought you deserved to know.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew I better had to edit that one, but I thought the point was made pretty clear. Yes he was both the strongest man and an emperor. Nobody cares...

First things first. Don't tell others what they are allowed to do, here compare two characters of [nearly?] equal status within the OPverse. Both are at the top of the pirate world. Newgate used a sharp weapon too, therefore he was a swordsman too, since I doubt we need to classify characters as axeman, knifeman, longswordsman, etc. We have no clue if Shanks has a DF or not. And of course he has more than one title, Member of the Pirate King crew, Red Hair and Emperor. :P

If I get annoyed from anything, it's your biased or just wrong comprehension of the manga. "All evidence" you have is Dracules title. Him mentioning that Mihawk decided against further duells because of the loss of an arm is not evidence for any of those two. It just shows that Hawkeye doesn't see him as a complete swordsman anymore. Looking at the huge size of Shanks sword it's clear that it may rather be used with two hands than with one.

Newgate was weaker than at his prime and still the strongest person in the whole world.

And as TLS has already wrote in the phrase you quoted, haki, swordmanship and power and not one and the same. Like it or not, I don't care.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

till now all evidence shows that mihawk is stronger then shanks if they were to go 1 vs 1
    By "all evidence," you mean 3 words written in 1998, back when Oda thought the series would end in 2002.

No one has been shown displaying haki as outrageous as Shanks'. His haoshoku doesn't involve squinting, or shouting, or whatever DD's little dance is, it's just always on. He accidentally nuked Coby just by being near him. He damaged Whitebeard's ship with Haoshoku.

As a hypothetical, suppose Shanks could armor himself, Vergo-style, so strongly that Mihawk couldn't cut him. Would Shanks win that fight? Yes. Would it make him a better swordsman than Mihawk? No. It wouldn't have been his swordsmanship that won him the fight.

like how a regular slash cuts a island sized iceberg clean in half?
    Law cut multiple mountains in half. Is he a better swordsman than Mihawk? Or did you decide that DFs that improve swordsmanship don't count?
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    Law cut multiple mountains in half. Is he a better swordsman than Mihawk? Or did you decide that DFs that improve swordsmanship don't count?
    Every time someone mentions Mihawk's 'feats', I think about this. To date, Law has displayed the strongest slash in the manga. That's not to say he's the strongest, I doubt anyone would suggest that, which is why Mihawk's slash of the ice seems to be something worth little mention, if any at all.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    By "all evidence," you mean 3 words written in 1998, back when Oda thought the series would end in 2002.

No one has been shown displaying haki as outrageous as Shanks'. His haoshoku doesn't involve squinting, or shouting, or whatever DD's little dance is, it's just always on. He accidentally nuked Coby just by being near him. He damaged Whitebeard's ship with Haoshoku.

As a hypothetical, suppose Shanks could armor himself, Vergo-style, so strongly that Mihawk couldn't cut him. Would Shanks win that fight? Yes. Would it make him a better swordsman than Mihawk? No. It wouldn't have been his swordsmanship that won him the fight.

Rayleighs haki feats are of an higher caliber then the ones we've seen from shanks till now.
    Secondly, i dont think shanks armor would be hardening like luffy's fist or vergo body armor, i think its invisible and of a way higher caliber, like rayleigh.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Silvers CoA wouldn't save him from an attack, he would still have to avoide it or defend himself as shown, if Hardening wasn't on and I highly doubt that he is not capable of using it. It was no invisible shield haki, it was him using haki on his hand without hardening it as he didn't need to use that technique for that elephant[and Oda only starting to use the "black" version after the time-skip]. Oda made it pretty clear that hardening is an advanced form of normal CoA, I'm not willing to start a debate about that fact.

Please explain how Rayleighs feats are greater than Shanks ones. He used haki to hold back a logia admiral and so did Shanks. Rayleigh let people fall into unconsciousness in the auction house, Shanks did the same with part of Whitebeards crew.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

invisble armor seems to be bouncing back stuff, while black hardening works like tekkai.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hawk eye's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, as much as i like mihawk, i have to say that he doesn't have the best feats in the manga so far, but i still believe that he's one of the strongest people right behind the yonkou's/admirals IF not the strongest! i might be a bit biased towards him since he's my favourite character in OP, but i think i'm being reasonable enough here.
    Last edited by hawk eye; February 02, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how i see it

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

That makes no sense given Shanks blocked Akainu's magma fist with one hand and sword. His sword quality and physical ability would be better, given the feat.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Mihawks sword is the strongest in the world.
    ''Yoru is known to be the strongest sword in the world. It is one of the twelve Saijo O Wazamono[1] and a "Black Sword" (黒刀 Kokutō?). This blade is currently owned by Dracule Mihawk.''

remember what mihawk said to zoro
    It's still too early for you to die. My name is Dracule Mihawk! Discover your true self, the true world, become stronger! However long it may take, I shall await you at the top. Surpass this sword! Surpass me! Roronoa Zoro!!!

Physical and sword i think is superior to shanks, however shanks haki is very powerfull

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    That makes no sense given Shanks blocked Akainu's magma fist with one hand and sword. His sword quality and physical ability would be better, given the feat.
    nope, that's just haki, swordplay goes to mihawk, that's what his title means anyway.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but that weird graph does not mean Mihawk is better or would beat Shanks. It's still an assumption with less basis than Shanks being better than Mihawk. Shanks' physical power does not seem to have gotten any weaker if he could block an admiral's magma fist with one arm.

Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Sure, but that weird graph does not mean Mihawk is better or would beat Shanks. It's still an assumption with less basis than Shanks being better than Mihawk. Shanks' physical power does not seem to have gotten any weaker if he could block an admiral's magma fist with one arm.
    ofc, that's just the dude's opinion, what's definite so far is swordplay goes to mihawk, and haki goes to shanks, the others are based on opinions.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you prove that swordplay goes to Mihawk?

New Reply
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast