Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Mihawk's Power Level

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mihawk's Power Level

the only facts we know
    Mihawk is the worlds strongest swordman, and he also owns the worlds strongest sword.
    Mihawk and shanks had legendary duels.
    Mihawk doesnt see shanks as a rival anymore after he lost an arm, hes still his friend though
    Last edited by DutchPhoenix; February 12, 2014 at 04:47 AM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

We know Mihawk and Shanks had duels, but who won those duels? Was Mihawk using his strongest sword? Is Mihawk really the strongest swordsman or did he get that title because people assume Shanks isn't that good as he and Mihawk haven't fought?

Didn't Oda state that Shanks' power was still the same even after losing his arm? He even became a Yonkou, which says a lot about his power.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPhoenix View Post
    Mihawk is the worlds strongest swordman.
    For the dozenth time, please look up what the translation of his epitaph actually means. Greatest doesn't mean strongest, can we finally get past that misconception?
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hawk eye's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Can you prove that swordplay goes to Mihawk?
    that's what his title means, he's the world's unrivaled swordsmaster, his swordsmastery is no.1

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawk eye View Post
    that's what his title means, he's the world's unrivaled swordsmaster, his swordsmastery is no.1
    The title that everyone else refers to him as. For all we know, Shanks is a contender for the title. That's what I think has been hinted at anyhow.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawk eye View Post
    I know what the title means, but I'm asking for proof, not titles. Can you actually prove that Mihawk is a better swordsman than Shanks?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the strength of the weapon really is of much consequence here. Once haki comes into play even stupid weapons can be deadly. Just look at vergo, his main weapon was an ordinary bamboo cane which was made deadly by his haki. Shanks is a yonko, his weapons should be pretty good and both of them should have pretty insane haki, I doubt it would be the defining aspect of the battle.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I don't think the strength of the weapon really is of much consequence here. Once haki comes into play even stupid weapons can be deadly. Just look at vergo, his main weapon was an ordinary bamboo cane which was made deadly by his haki. Shanks is a yonko, his weapons should be pretty good and both of them should have pretty insane haki, I doubt it would be the defining aspect of the battle.
    I think grade swords will matter alot, however the explaination why excactly we will probably get later in the story.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Mihawk's power at least equivalent to an admiral if not greater.

I think that Shanks is actually much stronger than Mihawk in terms of sordsmanship, Rayleigh being the former greatest swordsman and having trained shanks but they are childhood rivals and there isn't any real point having both the title of yonko and worlds greatest swordsman.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Mihawk's Power Level

I believe its that Shanks uses a less orthodox fighting style involving his sword unlike Zoro & Mihawk.
    Or rather, that's a possibility.
    It was never stated Whitebeard was the greatest staff wielder but let's face it, we've yet to see anybody stronger than WB weilding a staff lol.
    This just an idea of course.

Too far imo.
    Strengths of weapons definitely matter.
    Oda isn't the type to go back on his story guidelines and cancel such big things.
    He went as far as to give titles to sets of swords:

Wazamono Grade Swords (It is unknown how many there are, but there are plenty)

50 Ryo Wazamono Grade Swords (One of these is the one that Captain Shu destroyed of Zoro's, Tashigi has 2)

21 O Wazamono Grade Swords (Zoro has two of these atm)

12 Saijo O Wazamono Grade Swords (The best of the best, Mihawk's sword is from this pile)

I think your sword strength is definitely relevant.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Too far imo.
    Strengths of weapons definitely matter.
    Oda isn't the type to go back on his story guidelines and cancel such big things.
    He went as far as to give titles to sets of swords:

Wazamono Grade Swords (It is unknown how many there are, but there are plenty)

50 Ryo Wazamono Grade Swords (One of these is the one that Captain Shu destroyed of Zoro's, Tashigi has 2)

21 O Wazamono Grade Swords (Zoro has two of these atm)

12 Saijo O Wazamono Grade Swords (The best of the best, Mihawk's sword is from this pile)

I think your sword strength is definitely relevant.
    Oda has never actually said the strength of the sword in itself is THAT important. Grade swords are simply famous swords in the end, thats it. Even then, it should stand to reason that having a graded sword is not a requirement for the new world in itself. Based on what oda said there are 83 famous swords... the number of strong pirates, let alone pirates, in the new world easily exceeds that. They need good swords however the manga has one way or the other already made the point that the strength of the user is ultimately what counts. If the strength of the weapon itself made that huge a difference then there are already multiple things in the manga that would simply not make sense. To begin with we have to consider unarmed fighters. Luffy, garp and other hand to hand combatants are more than capable enough of going up against armed enemies. Then we have people that actually use random pieces of junk to fight. Vergo used a bamboo cane which in all honesty is something he could pick up from the woods or from a trashcan. Sabo uses an actual pipe. I guess there is a chance that it is some sort of specially forged pipe specifically meant for combat although I don't think we have much evidence to actually argue that. Its not like sabo is holding back or is just plainly a moron, he uses a literal piece of ordinary garbage to fight the world government (at least until proven otherwise). That is his weapon regardless of whether he fights the admirals or mihawk.... and sabo can presumably use it effectively against anyone. Sabo even already used it to break diamante's sword and diamante himself is actually supposed to be extremely powerful. Great swords are ultimately just a status thing, they stopped being all that the moment garbage became an acceptable and functional weapon. Ultimately the user is far more important than the weapon itself.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda has never actually said the strength of the sword in itself is THAT important. Grade swords are simply famous swords in the end, thats it. Even then, it should stand to reason that having a graded sword is not a requirement for the new world in itself. Based on what oda said there are 83 famous swords... the number of strong pirates, let alone pirates, in the new world easily exceeds that. They need good swords however the manga has one way or the other already made the point that the strength of the user is ultimately what counts. If the strength of the weapon itself made that huge a difference then there are already multiple things in the manga that would simply not make sense. To begin with we have to consider unarmed fighters. Luffy, garp and other hand to hand combatants are more than capable enough of going up against armed enemies. Then we have people that actually use random pieces of junk to fight. Vergo used a bamboo cane which in all honesty is something he could pick up from the woods or from a trashcan. Sabo uses an actual pipe. I guess there is a chance that it is some sort of specially forged pipe specifically meant for combat although I don't think we have much evidence to actually argue that. Its not like sabo is holding back or is just plainly a moron, he uses a literal piece of ordinary garbage to fight the world government (at least until proven otherwise). That is his weapon regardless of whether he fights the admirals or mihawk.... and sabo can presumably use it effectively against anyone. Sabo even already used it to break diamante's sword and diamante himself is actually supposed to be extremely powerful. Great swords are ultimately just a status thing, they stopped being all that the moment garbage became an acceptable and functional weapon. Ultimately the user is far more important than the weapon itself.
    Which does not make the weapon unimportant. It was made clear, especially in relation to Zoro, how important the sword actually is. It was also made clear that those who use the junk as a weapon are somewhat allround fighters and do not have to rely on their weapons, like Vergo and Sabo who you brought up. On the other hand, we have seen swordsmen who, without their swords, are nothing, i think that is an important distinction to make.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I know what the title means, but I'm asking for proof, not titles. Can you actually prove that Mihawk is a better swordsman than Shanks?
    The title itself is proof.
    if it wasnt, oda would be a liar in his own manga.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda has never actually said the strength of the sword in itself is THAT important. Grade swords are simply famous swords in the end, thats it. Even then, it should stand to reason that having a graded sword is not a requirement for the new world in itself.
    Being strong in New World is not that relevant to the discusstion of "Strongest Swordsman" in the world.
    Its like saying how strong WB is without using a sword. He isn't relevant to a discussion regarding the "Strongest Swordsman".
    Oda has implied the strength of the sword is important.
    Otherwise Mihawk wouldn't have one sword from the set of the greatest swords then would he?

Based on what oda said there are 83 famous swords... the number of strong pirates, let alone pirates, in the new world easily exceeds that. They need good swords however the manga has one way or the other already made the point that the strength of the user is ultimately what counts. If the strength of the weapon itself made that huge a difference then there are already multiple things in the manga that would simply not make sense. To begin with we have to consider unarmed fighters. Luffy, garp and other hand to hand combatants are more than capable enough of going up against armed enemies. Then we have people that actually use random pieces of junk to fight. Vergo used a bamboo cane which in all honesty is something he could pick up from the woods or from a trashcan. Sabo uses an actual pipe. I guess there is a chance that it is some sort of specially forged pipe specifically meant for combat although I don't think we have much evidence to actually argue that. Its not like sabo is holding back or is just plainly a moron, he uses a literal piece of ordinary garbage to fight the world government (at least until proven otherwise).
    These people or not official and trained Swordsmen. Their route to gaining strength is completely different.
    For people who are gaining strength through becoming Swordsmen, it is clear that Sword strength is of some kind of importance.

Great swords are ultimately just a status thing, they stopped being all that the moment garbage became an acceptable and functional weapon. Ultimately the user is far more important than the weapon itself.
    It doesn't make Sword strength unimportant in regards to the title of the greatest swordsman though does it?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems likely that the grade of the sword matters in terms of how strong the sword is.

If for nothing else, when zoro first fought Mihawk way back in east blue and got his ass handed to him, his two regular swords were destroyed by mihawk while his O Wazamono Grade Sword survived the attack.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast