Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Natsume's Book of Friends

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Natsume's Book of Friends

Studio: Brain's Base
    Director: Takahiro Omori
    Genre : Supernatural, Slice of Life, Youkai

Myanimelist resume
    Since he was young, a teenage boy named Natsume Takashi has been able to see spirits, but keeping this ability a secret has now become a heavy burden for him and has made his life difficult.
    This begins to change when Takashi inherits his grandmother's "Book of Friends". He discovers that she, Natsume Reiko, shared the same ability as him and starts to understand why he was always targeted by both good and bad spirits.
    After learning the true meaning behind the Book of Friends, which allows him to manipulate the spirits listed within its pages, Takashi undertakes a journey with his bodyguard, the infamous spirit Madara, to free the spirits of their contracts with Reiko.

It's the fourth season of Natsume, the anime adaptation of the manga. Anyone following it ?
    Even if it's completely different from Takahiro Omori more famous work Baccano and Durarara, I like it a lot. The pace is slow, but seing Natsume making more and more friends, be it humans or youkai is really joyful. If you liked anime like Mushishi, you will probably enjoy this one too.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Natsume's Book of Friends

My precious Natsume~~~~
    My adorable Nyanko-sensei~~~

Sorry, I have to fangirl for a bit. This is one of my favorite anime!
    The latest episode is just so kawaii~~

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm so glad we didn't have to wait one year for a new season this time.
    Nyanko sensei is a great character, sometime selfish but so cute. I love when he takes a bath, probably the only cat who like that :-)

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I somehow think that Nyanko-sensei gets fatter in this fourth season. It makes him more adorable though..

I expect a lot from this new season... I wonder if this is the last season? (I hope not so.)

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

So how did you like last episode ? That was a classical one but still very nice. I love when Natsume is attacked by a Youkai and a single punch turn everything down. I wonder if his punchs are really effective against youkai or if they are just normal punch. I wouldn't mind if he become a little stronger to be able to defend himself and not always depend on other. But I guess, it's the aim of the manga that he is not alone anymore and can ask for help when needed.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

do you mean eps 4 or eps 5?
    If it's eps 4 then yes... it's a good eps. (just when is an eps of natsume yuujinchou is not good?) And yeah, his punch is actually effective against youkai. He has a very strong supernatural power so just with a punch, he put down a youkai as strong as Madara... (and we know how strong Madara is...) And I believe that what you said is indeed the aim of the story... It's just so sweet to watch those youkai work together to save Natsume, eh? Having friends (especially the supernatural ones) are a kind of strengh, anyway...

As for eps 5... Ah, a very sweet story. We can see a little bit more about Natsume's past... It's good to know that there was at least someone who cares for Natsume in the past... I really like Yuriko because she didn't judge him by what people said, but she openly approached him and saw for herself that even though he sometimes behaved weirdly, but he's a kind person. I kinda dislike her mom because she judged Natsume though she never talked to him. I understand that she worried for her daughter but that was just... *sigh*.
    Even in the past, Natsume was just so handsome, eh? (even with his hair almost covering his melancholy face) Look at those followers who walked with him after he transferred... He was just that good-looking...
    Sadly, Natsume had to deal with youkai problem again.. That black scythe youkai caused him to move out of town, but that youkai is not evil, I think. The shrine and the supernatural way Yuriko was saved.. it must be that youkai who saved Yuriko's life.
    Unfortunately, Yuriko and Natsume didn't meet, but I think it's enough for Yuriko to know that Natsume lives with good people now...
    Looking back at those times.. Natsume changes a lot, eh? He used to hate youkai so much, but that hatred closed his eyes. He thought all youkai are evil... But now, he realized how wrong he was and after remembering those memories, he realized that the youkai he met are not all evil... Ah.. so heart-warming.
    Another cute youkai shows up! Not as cute as fluffball but cute enough... It seems that Natsume has this habit of attracting that kind of youkai..
    Nyanko-sensei doesn't show up much! I despair... I want to crush hug him like Taki does.
    Oh, and there's a kappa doll in Yuriko's room... Hmm.

Next eps! I'm dying to watch it!
    Natsume seems to be trapped in a bottle and someone (or something?) is masquerading as him... That "Natsume" has this sharp angry eyes but looking at Sasada's blush.. he looks even more attractive?
    This reminds me to that time when Natsume was possessed by that female youkai and caused the people around him to blush upon seeing him.. But that time he was somewhat feminine... and now with that eyes, he looks like a bad boy. I wonder who this "Natsume" is, I gotta thank him for the fanservice (bad boy Natsume? ) but we have to wait for the next eps to find out..

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes i was talking about episode 4. I just watched the 5th today. You are right it's nice to see a bit of his past ( it remind me the episode with the youkai on the tree which i liked too) and see how much he has evolved. He is not afraid anymore and has accepted this part of him. When you see him running while the other kids try to befriend him, i felt so sad for him. But now i know it's only bad memories

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. it also reminds me of that youkai on the tree eps except that eps made me cry (because it's just so sad to see that little natsume with the cat-youkai). This time, I did not cry because natsume wasn't as lonely as that time.
    Yeah, I think it's all thanks to Fujiwara couple and Nyanko-sensei.. Despite what they say, actually Natsume and Nyanko-sensei fit each other. Natsume accepts his gift and Nyanko-sensei is tamer.
    And yeah, it's only a bad memory but it makes him who he is now.

---------- Post added February 07, 2012 at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was February 04, 2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

FINALLY!! NEW EPS!!

Now we know who is the fake Natsume!!
    None other than Nyanko-sensei!!!

LOL-ing so hard at this eps... It really shows how different Nyanko-sensei and Natsume are... Natsume is always polite and smiles while Nyanko-sensei is hot-tempered and doesn't care about being polite. Natsume despairs. He'll have a lot to explain when he gets out from the bottle.
    The most interesting part is when the fake Natsume pulled Sasada away and told her she smelled delicious. I feel like swooning myself... Though I laughed right away because of Natsume's reaction to it...
    Oh, and that part when she insulted Nyanko-sensei... If only she knew that the person in front of her was the ugly fat cat..
    Kazuhiko Inoue-san is really awesome... In this eps, he voiced Madara who has a deep and growling voice, Nyanko-sensei who has a high-pitched and shrill voice, and fake Natsume who has a husky voice... Awesome!
    I bet the fans of Tanuma x Natsume pairing are rejoicing because of this eps (just watch the beginning and the end of the eps). Me? I don't really care about the pairing (not a BL lover) but I think that Natsume really thinks of Tanuma as an important friend. Now that Natsume is no longer lonely, he has a new fear, that the people he cares about will be involved and hurt because of his power... Ow, Natsume...

Oh God.. I need to calm myself... Too many laughing, fangirling and nosebleeding because of this new eps. Huff~
    Nyanko-sensei... You are both so cute and so awesome in this eps. Viva fanservice!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh god hopefully I didn't read your post further when I saw it this morning. I would have been spoiled an awesome scene !!
    As you said, Nyanko sensei was hilarious from start till end. Although I don't recognize all the japanese speech level, I know enough to know how Natsume must feel. And his temptation look when he took the beer bottle out of the fridge :-))
    And I'm happy to see Tanuma help him, Natsume needs to have more faith in his friends and not always relate on Madara. I can't wait next week to see what happens, the Youkai unsealed must be pretty strong.

New Reply