Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 589 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Discussion

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Character Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Yeah, if Zaizen had at least done something, I could buy the popularity, but he's done nothing, except prove that he's a noob.

The fangirls can be so odd at times.
    I think its coz Zaizen has piercings and I remember in Detective Conan that it was mentioned that most schoolers in Japan dont wear piercings to school.

Also, has anyone else wondered why Konomi hasnt told us which teams Mitsuya Akuto and Fuwa Tetsuhito belonged to?

Since they are High School 2nd Years meaning that when Yukimura, Sanada, Yanagi and probably Mouri first won the Nationals, Fuwa and Mitsuya would have been 3rd Years in the exact same tournament.

---------- Post added April 07, 2012 at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was April 06, 2012 at 04:47 AM ----------

And Tokugawa Kazuya for that matter who is also a 2nd Year HSer therefore he should know Yuki and Sanada are the badasses that won the nationals when Tokugawa was a 3rd Year MSer.

Also who gets the feeling that we will get an all MSer Top 10?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    And Tokugawa Kazuya for that matter who is also a 2nd Year HSer therefore he should know Yuki and Sanada are the badasses that won the nationals when Tokugawa was a 3rd Year MSer.
    Except that as far as we know he might have never attended a middle school in Japan (and during the time he did, he probably didn't join the tennis club) and he looked down on Japanese tennis as a whole, so he wouldn't bother to check who was doing well.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Except that as far as we know he might have never attended a middle school in Japan (and during the time he did, he probably didn't join the tennis club) and he looked down on Japanese tennis as a whole, so he wouldn't bother to check who was doing well.
    Surely he would have mentioned that he went to a Middle School abroad when he gave Ryoma a cool story about his past. But yeah its possible that during Middle School he only played for his outside of school clubs so didnt participate in Tournaments.
    Coz im sure he would have been an OB from at least ONE school of the MSers so its likely he went to a no-name school and focused on tennis elsewhere.

Mitsuya is a Tokyo Player we can assume since he met Yanagi on the way home when Yanagi was a child. When Yanagi was young he lived in Tokyo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Konomi really cater for Character popularity? Since Sanada has been shown to be not even that popular only scoring No.17 and never gracing the Top 5 ever yet being given so much character development?
    If Prince of Tennis was based upon character polls, the series would have been renamed "Atobe and friends."

On a serious note, Sanada has been Konomi's idea of the perfect "final boss" since Season 1. That's why Yukimura wasn't even mentioned until like the Kantou finals. I'm really convinced Konomi put all his effort into making Sanada the main boss, and came up with the idea of Yukimura later. Not to mention the source of the name "Sanada" that inspired Konomi to begin with. That being said, it would be absurd to think Sanada shouldn't get screen time. He means just as much to the story as any other main character. He was once the biggest Antagonist, and now he is joined together with Echizen (the very person that was in conflict with him). The entire point is to show how "the good guy" and "the bad guy" are now on the same side and both growing alongside each other at rapid rates.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Although you have to admit, if is wasn't slightly character biased not many people would be reading the manga.
    "Sorry, but I never lose to the same opponent twice." - Fuji

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    If Prince of Tennis was based upon character polls, the series would have been renamed "Atobe and friends."
    LOL This is probably true.

On a serious note, Sanada has been Konomi's idea of the perfect "final boss" since Season 1. That's why Yukimura wasn't even mentioned until like the Kantou finals.
    I agree.

I'm really convinced Konomi put all his effort into making Sanada the main boss, and came up with the idea of Yukimura later. Not to mention the source of the name "Sanada" that inspired Konomi to begin with.
    Its possible. His initial final FINAL boss was meant to be Nagoya Seitoku, but due to the intense popularity of Hyotei and Rikkai, he replaced Shishigaku with Hyotei and Nagoya with Rikkai in the Nationals.
    Thats kinda dumb to say ''Sanada''. His full name was ''Sanada Yukimura'' or ''Yukimura Sanada'' in Western Order so if thats your reason it justifies that both of them are the main bosses which is my belief. As Konomi showed them being best friends before we saw Yukimura even play.

That being said, it would be absurd to think Sanada shouldn't get screen time. He means just as much to the story as any other main character. He was once the biggest Antagonist, and now he is joined together with Echizen (the very person that was in conflict with him). The entire point is to show how "the good guy" and "the bad guy" are now on the same side and both growing alongside each other at rapid rates.
    Yukimura was once the biggest antagonist. Prior to Sanada so was Akutsu.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yukimura was once the biggest antagonist. Prior to Sanada so was Akutsu.
    Sanada had more development than Yukimura and Akutsu combined.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So not true. He just got more screentime than them. Didn't really develop that much. Akutsu got way more development than both of them.

EDIT: Scratch that, he actually did get more development than them. I forgot about Sanada's role in NPoT.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; April 11, 2012 at 01:11 AM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    So not true. He just got more screentime than them. Didn't really develop that much. Akutsu got way more development than both of them.

EDIT: Scratch that, he actually did get more development than them. I forgot about Sanada's role in NPoT.
    You were right as we were referring back to Part I and not NPoT.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

He didnt really get more than Yukimura. Yukimura's back story and even Akutsu's was just as deep as Sanada's.
    In fact, we knew everything about Yuki by the time we saw him play.
    His illness, almost dying, how tennis is his life just like Sanada's.

Also, from his intro, the moment we found out Sanada was only vice-captain, we kinda it wouldnt end just there and that he wasnt the final boss.
    Also, because we saw Sanada in Regionals and the main goal of the manga was to reach Nationals, we knew there would be someone after the boss of the regionals.

Although I dont really like Sanada, Im not pissed he's getting loads of screentime despite his lack of popularity, im annoyed coz so many more popular characters have yet to be seen swing a racket. Had we seen some more Shuffles or just other popular characters get their ass kicked or show one new technique or ability it would be fine.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

You were right as we were referring back to Part I and not NPoT.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

He didnt really get more than Yukimura. Yukimura's back story and even Akutsu's was just as deep as Sanada's.
    In fact, we knew everything about Yuki by the time we saw him play.
    His illness, almost dying, how tennis is his life just like Sanada's.

Also, from his intro, the moment we found out Sanada was only vice-captain, we kinda it wouldnt end just there and that he wasnt the final boss.
    Also, because we saw Sanada in Regionals and the main goal of the manga was to reach Nationals, we knew there would be someone after the boss of the regionals.

Although I dont really like Sanada, Im not pissed he's getting loads of screentime despite his lack of popularity, im annoyed coz so many more popular characters have yet to be seen swing a racket. Had we seen some more Shuffles or just other popular characters get their ass kicked or show one new technique or ability it would be fine.
    He deserves it, a player like Sanada who was Echizen strongest rival apart from Yukimura, the player who defeated Tezuka, he deserves it, even if he does not have that much popularity, he's improving at a very fast rate, so it's natural that we'll see him get a huge spotlight in his next match against a top 5.

I know he isn't very popular and all, but he became one of Echizen's friends in Npot, from a rival, to a friend, they went together through the hell. Maybe sounds a bit crazy, but he deserves screentime.
    Last edited by LetalHawk; April 13, 2012 at 09:45 AM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LetalHawk View Post
    He deserves it, a player like Sanada who was Echizen strongest rival apart from Yukimura, the player who defeated Tezuka, he deserves it, even if he does not have that much popularity, he's improving at a very fast rate, so it's natural that we'll see him get a huge spotlight in his next match against a top 5.

I know he isn't very popular and all, but he became one of Echizen's friends in Npot, from a rival, to a friend, they went together through the hell. Maybe sounds a bit crazy, but he deserves screentime.
    At the expense of the many players who are more popular than him?
    And so what, he wasnt the ONLY rival to Echizen. There was Atobe, Akutsu, Yukimura, Fuji and Kirihara. His improvement is due to his unnecessary screentime.
    Other players were in the mountains besides Sanada who went through hell.
    If you'd rather constantly see Sanada instead of Fuji then fair enough.

I honestly wouldnt mind all this sudden Emperor of Tennis manga, if Fuji had had a match by now or other more popular characters showed us some improvement. But no.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

At the expense of the many players who are more popular than him?
    Yeah because we need to see more fodder like Kenya, Hiyoshi, Shishido, and Cancer just because they ranked higher than Sanada in a character poll? Why yes, yes at the expense of the players more popular than him. Just because someone is more popular than Sanada doesn't mean he wouldn't beat the crap out of them in tennis. The best players will always have screentime.

Quote Quote:
    His improvement is due to his unnecessary screentime.
    Unnecessary? By what standard? Konomi can do whatever the hell he wants.

Quote Quote:
    If you'd rather constantly see Sanada instead of Fuji then fair enough.
    Sanada would wipe his ass with Fuji. So yes, I would rather see Sanada.

Quote Quote:
    I honestly wouldnt mind all this sudden Emperor of Tennis manga.
    Smartest thing you said all day.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah because we need to see more fodder like Kenya, Hiyoshi, Shishido, and Cancer just because they ranked higher than Sanada in a character poll? Why yes, yes at the expense of the players more popular than him. Just because someone is more popular than Sanada doesn't mean he wouldn't beat the crap out of them in tennis. The best players will always have screentime.
    Not even what I said, I never said that he wont beat the crap out of them in tennis. Just talking about screentime. Wasnt talking about Kenya or Shishido but more importantly Marui the 5th popular character, Shiraishi and Fuji also.
    Fuji is amongst the best players yet he has had little screentime so your slightly flawed here.

Unnecessary? By what standard? Konomi can do whatever the hell he wants.
    We're talking about how most mangaka's do things. Making the popular characters get screentime IS the norm. No shit Konomi already does whatever the hell he wants by having DBZ tennis.

Sanada would wipe his ass with Fuji. So yes, I would rather see Sanada.
    Your personal opinion against the hundreds and perhaps even thousands of the Japanese audience which is what matters to Konomi. Just dont get how the most popular characters who werent even fodder (Shiraishi and Fuji) can just get placed on the sidlines. Never seen a mangaka do that but I guess there is a first time for everything.

Smartest thing you said all day.
    Well it is what it is hahaa. Although it pisses me off since Konomi has brought 52 MSers and showed... less than 20 in action. I still cant see why so much fodder was brought into U-17 Camp to do nothing. And so much High School fodder to do nothing. We can no longer predict the path of the manga at all. All guesses on MH have sucked eggs. Platypus eggs at that.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I feel like Akutsu's character was much more developed than Sanada and Yukimura. It's kinda hard to say though, as Konomi did a good job with both of them. By developing Sanada, Konomi developed the whole Rikkai team. They all founght for him. We saw how much they strived for victory. With Akutsu, we met a character that gave even our shorty sue Ryoma the chills. Not to mention he had ties with Takamura. Then we get into Akutsu's ties with tennis itself. And then you have Akutsu inspiring Dan. And then you have Banji encouraging Akutsu's future with tennis. It was more than just one guy beating another guy; it was about how tennis changed a youth's life around.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I feel like Akutsu's character was much more developed than Sanada and Yukimura. It's kinda hard to say though, as Konomi did a good job with both of them. By developing Sanada, Konomi developed the whole Rikkai team. They all founght for him.
    Actually they were all fighting for Yukimura even more. So saying Sanada had more background would be totally wrong. Konomi has done a fantastic job with the characters in Part I, being careful with how he fodderized people.
    (An example being St.Rudolph as they were fodderized nice and easy without stunning anyone as konomi carefully threw them away)

With Akutsu, we met a character that gave even our shorty sue Ryoma the chills. Not to mention he had ties with Takamura. Then we get into Akutsu's ties with tennis itself. And then you have Akutsu inspiring Dan. And then you have Banji encouraging Akutsu's future with tennis. It was more than just one guy beating another guy; it was about how tennis changed a youth's life around.
    Totally agree. Which is why I say Ryoma had LOADS of Rivals to challenge. For Konomi to just focus on Sanada isnt like Shounen Jump Mangakas at all.

I also feel Shiraishi and Kirihara are heading for the fodder can. As Kirihara was once one of Ryoma's rivals.

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast