Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Character Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Character Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    That's my issue. He was standing straight there, I've gone over this various times. In other scenes too.

Irie cries about his height, but he is only two centimetres under 6feet tall?? How is that too tiny for tennis?
    Confused on that issue. 178cm is definetely not short. Making him taller than Matsudaira Chikahiko I believe. Yet the manga portrayed otherwise.
    Ochi is like 22X cm so I see no contradiction there.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

That's my issue. He was standing straight there, I've gone over this various times. In other scenes too.

Irie cries about his height, but he is only two centimetres under 6feet tall?? How is that too tiny for tennis?
    Confused on that issue. 178cm is definetely not short. Making him taller than Matsudaira Chikahiko I believe. Yet the manga portrayed otherwise.
    Well, he was joking about being too short. We also know height has nothing to do with skills. Remember how Dan Taichi thinks tennis is played with height and Echizen goes, "So tennis is a game played with height?"

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TheShiraishi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    LOL you're really going to compare anyone with Ochi in terms of height?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just because it looks as if Irie's looking up at him, perhaps Irie's just looking at the sky and Atobe always looks down at his opponents. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if I were you. I had thought Irie was like 170-172 or so, but it's all the same.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Irie is apparently 178cm, I believe that was a translation error now.

He is looking upwards at Atobe who is just 175cm.
    I thought the same when I read he was 178 cm tall, he looks way smaller compared to other players.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    I know it's tough on you jose...imagine me
    fapfapfap

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Well, he was joking about being too short. We also know height has nothing to do with skills. Remember how Dan Taichi thinks tennis is played with height and Echizen goes, "So tennis is a game played with height?"
    I don't get what you're trying to say.
    I'm saying, why would Irie cry about height, if he is 178cm tall. 178cm is in fact a good height.

What's Ochi got to do with itl.

Ochi was portrayed as 226cm tall very well. He looked down at everybody and stood out as tall.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Just because it looks as if Irie's looking up at him, perhaps Irie's just looking at the sky and Atobe always looks down at his opponents. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if I were you. I had thought Irie was like 170-172 or so, but it's all the same.
    How is 178 which is significantly taller than Atobe, ''all the same''?.
    Re-read the chapter. He is clearly looking at Atobe.
    Last edited by Airgrimes; April 01, 2013 at 04:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Given Irie is clearly G10 material, and we see some ridiculously tall guys in the G10, I see nothing wrong with him saying he's too short compared to the guys in G10 that ought to be playing basketball.

And being tall does have its advantage in tennis. That particular scene shows a lob Irie he initially can't reach, so the implication is pretty clear that if he was taller he can reach the ball. Of course Irie reached the ball anyway because it's just an act, but there's nothing wrong with the assumption of 'tall = greater reach = advantage'.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Given Irie is clearly G10 material, and we see some ridiculously tall guys in the G10, I see nothing wrong with him saying he's too short compared to the guys in G10 that ought to be playing basketball.

And being tall does have its advantage in tennis. That particular scene shows a lob Irie he initially can't reach, so the implication is pretty clear that if he was taller he can reach the ball. Of course Irie reached the ball anyway because it's just an act, but there's nothing wrong with the assumption of 'tall = greater reach = advantage'.
    But he is taller than several other HS candidates. He wouldn't have even been the smallest in the 1st String had he been in it.
    So saying he is ''too small'' made little sense. But you're right there is Ochi who is 226cm.

But using Ochi as an example blows everybody out of the water lol.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But he is taller than several other HS candidates. He wouldn't have even been the smallest in the 1st String had he been in it.
    So saying he is ''too small'' made little sense. But you're right there is Ochi who is 226cm.

But using Ochi as an example blows everybody out of the water lol.
    There seems to be some kind of implicit assumption that being tall is advantageous. Irie was also talking about world class players, so it's not just the G20. If we assume POT's world is similar to the real one where the Japanese are definitely not the tallest guys around, we can assume the world-class players are probably even taller so there's nothing wrong with Irie's assertion that he is short. Not that it mattered in anyway whatsoever since it was all an act.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be some kind of implicit assumption that being tall is advantageous. Irie was also talking about world class players, so it's not just the G20. If we assume POT's world is similar to the real one where the Japanese are definitely not the tallest guys around, we can assume the world-class players are probably even taller so there's nothing wrong with Irie's assertion that he is short. Not that it mattered in anyway whatsoever since it was all an act.
    You're arguing an argument that nobody even started.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

You're basically saying there's a taller person than Ochi in SPOT world? I'd love to see that.

Being tall is disadvantageous, for a person that tall maybe he can run faster and all, but with motricity and moving actions is more difficult, a really tall person in tennis doesn't mean that is always good, it just depends on what height. A real life player with Ochi's height would have problems to move around the tennis court.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

@Phantron,
    In a way for you to understand Phantron, it means as small as Irie seems to be, he is all but two measly cm shorter than Sanada and one cm shorter than Tezuka.
    Unless you would like to tell me how the two I have mentioned are at disadvantage in height too.

I just remembered "Hara" is a type of Stomach Painting in Japan used at festive times and entertainment and comedy purposes.

This shows that Hara Tetsuya was meant be nothing but a comedian from the very start.
    He even had a Stomach Painting lol.
    The fodder is strong within him.
    Last edited by Airgrimes; August 24, 2013 at 06:51 AM.

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5