Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Who stole the chapter?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pariston

24 51.06%
  • Gon

23 48.94%
New Reply
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter 334 Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 334 Discussion / 335 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by heron bpv View Post
    For someone as manipulative as him, have people come to talk to him and ask things is actually a best case scenario. It just means he will have that much more pawns to do his bindings and advance his plans, as long as he manages to manipulate the circunstances to his favor. Which seens to be his specialty, as the manga showed so far. And to make matters worst, each time he succefully does this, his image of a caring and passionate chairman will increase, to the demise of those people who are trying to actually confront him and bring his "evil" down.
    And saying that Netero is a dictator... it's blaphemy! =P
    On the contrary, as the manga shows during the hunter exam and quimera ants arc, as well as during his funeral, he was greatly respected by quite the majority of the hunters.
    Let's say the temp Hunters are on strike and demand a 50% increase in wage and better benefits.

If it's Netero or Gin as chairman he'd probably just brush them off, if he'd even bother with such a thing like that.

But Pariston, who is clearly a great negotiator, probably would be expected to work his magic to those guys.

Now of course that also represents an opportunity, but I think his plans go beyond just getting a few more votes at this point. He's obviously planning for something big but due to his area of expertise (politics) and his image, he'd have a hard time saying 'no' even to rather mundane things.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Some more thoughts on Pariston...

It's obvious bureaucracy was what give him his power in the first place (he stood up for all the weak guys to have the power he has today), but at some point he's going to move to bigger things than just winning support of some random no name Hunters. Basically right now he's like someone who just won a lottery and all his friends come out from nowhere expecting favors. His power base is obviously quite large and all these guys would be planning to cash in on Pariston's victory. Yet the weak guys who are his power base obviously don't further his plans at this point (the fact he got the cocoons suggest he's looking for beings with more power now).

Given his past history, he can't just ignore those guys and would have to expand considerable energy just to reassure all his existing followers that's he's still supporting them. This is a pretty significant disadvantage consider the Hunters normally are some kind of oligarchy, i.e. it's expected people at the top (Zodiacs, Netero, etc) get to have everything their way, but this doesn't apply to Pariston because of how he got up there.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

You just forgot the 18 missing hunters, right Phan?
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to figure out what Pariston wants to do with 5000 ants. From the clues in the last few chapters I'm currently mulling over 2 possibilities:

1) Pariston wants to modify the hunter exam so that Chimera Ants can participate to become Hunters. The Ants in this case would be considered on a par with Humans.

2) Pariston wants to modify the hunter exam so that Chimera Ants are one of the stages. New hunters have to overcome an Ant as part of the exam. The Ants in this case would simply be testing materials.

The two examples above would result in very different and diverging storylines. Also, if Pariston doesn't get his way, would he release 5000 Ants into the general population, or would he use them against the Hunter Organization itself? I think we are likely going to find out just how evil Pariston can be in future chapters.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Pariston would need to modify the exam? All those cocoons are already ideal for hunting. And Mind you, there is already monster like creatures living with humans already so that wouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by Uriel; February 04, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There are rules governing the hunter exam. I'm not sure what he wants to modify, but at present, I've only seen humans participating, even though there are some non-human intelligent beings on this world.

In the first case, a rule change might be needed to allow non-human participants in the exam.
    In the second case, a rule might be needed to allow the use of the Ants as a benchmark for future hunters abilities.

Pariston was the one bringing up the Hunter Exam though, not me. True, he brushed it off when it was no longer needed, since Gon showed up but I think he still has some plans for it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuts Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 334 Discussion / 335 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sanji View Post
    The end of democracy is when the power goes from the people to one person, family or institution. Anyway, this is fairly off topic, but my statement is that even though the hunters association is a democracy it won't hinder Pariston from taking over, since that has happened so many times before in our history.
    Actually, Togashi is clearly leading his readers to that sort of debate!

As you said, Pariston is a charismatic politician, who thinks of the system as a tool for his ambition. It seems he already controls large parts of the hunter bureaucracy thru simple means of influence.

However the hunter association was tailored for Netero. He was a personnality 'above the parties', because he was too strong; the same way some contries organized themselves around heroes with undisputed legitimacy after a national crisis (De Gaulle, Putin, Mao Zedong, etc.)

The succession to that sort of people is problematic. Netero probably frustrated a lot of people during his 'reign', but their interests are not compatible. Pariston can't hope to replace him, therefore he will need to share the power, and also adapt a few aspects of the organization to reach his goal.

The possibilities are limitless here, but my personnal favourite would be that he is an agent of the world's States, and he ultimately wants to put an end to the Hunter Association (ie end its independance, make it a tool for the States and favour chaos).

What would remain would be an entity very favourable to temp hunters, and Pariston backed by the States leading it, apparently obedient but in reality with more freedom. I could imagine that the ants crisis would decide country leaders of the opportunity to control a tool like the HA ^^

I have no proof at all, just think it would fit the character

Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sanji View Post
    It's actually not a matter of being evil
    I was just reacting to the term 'worst' dictators, Seemed to me History probably produced a thousand guys democratically elected and with a worse record than Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by heron bpv View Post
    And saying that Netero is a dictator... it's blaphemy! =P
    Hehe that's true! Nice illustration of a typical cult of personality =p

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Actually those 3 achieved their power through deliquescent democracies. And democracy is really a nice term for the roman republic and the directoire, oligarchy is more close to the truth
    They used circumstances more than actual deliquescence of the system itself. Aristotle showed that any system based on an election is a government by the oligarchy (the only ones who have the means and the knowledge to effectively run the election, and govern). In times of crisis, countless modern examples show that democratic systems are no more than tools in the hands of a few.

For example, a lot of democracies fundamental law/constitution leave open the possibility of extended powers to their president for a limited time, in case of national crisis. That's surely not based on the belief one man can save the day if given the means. Isn't it more beyond that an expression of the confidence that the oligarchy has the means to use the state more efficiently, once a few barriers are removed?

Sorry for the long OT, but again Togashi himself asks for it

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    You just forgot the 18 missing hunters, right Phan?
    That's a different subplot though. I'm just saying in general, as a chairman, Pariston would have to put up with a lot of guys who will be like, "hey Mr. Chairman, I voted for you, how about some favors!" He'd have relatively little to gain from those guys, but he'd definitely have to spend a lot of time to deal with those guys.

Again it's not that he'll stop his evil ways, but that his position will cause him to lose a lot of time & energy he otherwise could've devoted to his evil ways.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

Why Pariston would need to modify the exam? All those cocoons are already ideal for hunting. And Mind you, there is already monster like creatures living with humans already so that wouldn't be an issue.
    I think he wants the cocoon guys to become Hunters, not hunted.

It can be inferred that his powerbase probably doesn't specialize in overwhelming physical ability. I'm sure Pariston would like to add a bunch of loyal, super powerful (physically speaking) under his command. He may be shrewd, but I'm sure he knows at some point he needs a credible force on his side too. You can't just sweet talk and scheme your way out of everything. At some point, you'll need people under your command who can fight too.

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what Pariston wants to do with 5000 ants. From the clues in the last few chapters I'm currently mulling over 2 possibilities:

1) Pariston wants to modify the hunter exam so that Chimera Ants can participate to become Hunters. The Ants in this case would be considered on a par with Humans.

2) Pariston wants to modify the hunter exam so that Chimera Ants are one of the stages. New hunters have to overcome an Ant as part of the exam. The Ants in this case would simply be testing materials.

The two examples above would result in very different and diverging storylines. Also, if Pariston doesn't get his way, would he release 5000 Ants into the general population, or would he use them against the Hunter Organization itself? I think we are likely going to find out just how evil Pariston can be in future chapters.
    Fighting those 5000 soldiers would be borderline suicide even for veteran Hunters, let alone newbies taking the exam. Presumably these soldiers are supposed to be the 'new and improved' version of Ants. While we won't expect them to be as strong as Royals, they should be at least as strong as the regular Ant soldiers, if not close to the Commander level. To put things in perspective, even the Spiders took damage 1 on 1 against the grunts, and remember there are 5000 of those guys so we're not looking at a fair 1 on 1 fight. In particular, if the soldiers have the Ants' common 'continue fighting while dead' trait, they'd prove to be very formidable even to killing machines like Hisoka or Ilumi, because now killing your opponent no longer stops their attack. Look at Hisoka's fight, if the guy can make one more attack after taking a deathblow from Hisoka, he might have gone down too. Now normal humans don't continue fighting after having their throat slit, but we know Ants can basically continue fighting having their head chopped off.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

just read the chapter, and this page (too lazy to scroll back). So... Nobody excited about Ging's meeting with Gon?

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

When I said Hunting I meant like the profession. They're ideal to be Hunters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    That's a different subplot though.
    It's the way He deals with someone annoying, apparently. So it's not a different subplot which is unrelated with how He deals with weaklings without relevance.
    Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    just read the chapter, and this page (too lazy to scroll back). So... Nobody excited about Ging's meeting with Gon?
    To be honest...nope :P
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest...nope :P
    huh. I do have a feeling that it's going to be anticlimactic as usual. The mangaka's always been like that about Ging and Gon. So... i guess I don't have high hopes for it either. :/

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not only that. Ging is a jerk and Gon is kinda simple. As characters I assume their meeting wont be as deep and emotional as I like to read re-encounters.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Though I bet it'll be hilarious =P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teubier's Avatar
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet that there will be some severe family bonding fistfight. I guess that's how it would probably happen between a jerk father and a kinda simple son. Hopefully there will be a random hit to Pariston at the same time, to see him lose his composure.
    Last edited by Teubier; February 05, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
    ~Oscar!http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168684_18.gif!rascO~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not only that. Ging is a jerk and Gon is kinda simple. As characters I assume their meeting wont be as deep and emotional as I like to read re-encounters.
    I agree with you. Now that they're about to reunite, I'm looking forward to Ging's reaction due to him being not comfortable in front of a crowd.

Credits:Shinsatsu

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hunted's Avatar
    Country
    Bhutan
    Post Thanks / Like

may be gon ignore his father and do as what he
    said to kaito at the begining of the ant arc and continue hunting him...
    or gon run towards him and call father then gin run also and say son with
    both spreading their arms then gon say jan ken pon ...

New Reply
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast