Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Translation error in the manga over here?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Translation error in the manga over here?

Well, by "over here" I mean Brazil, just in case anyone's curious. In volume 27, the translation note for Godspeed says "Shinsoku, in the original". Translation error, or is Shinsoku some kind of alternate spelling?

Also, when Killua is about to fight Yupi, he says "What I'm about to do now... is just to discount my frustration, OK?", roughly, instead of "What I'm about to do now... is hit you 8 times, OK?" that I've seen in the translations on the net.

I'm almost sure the first case is an error, but I'm not sure about the second case. If those are really translation error, can someone that roughly knows Japanese please explain how did those mistakes happen?

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Translation error in the manga over here?

Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post
    Well, by "over here" I mean Brazil, just in case anyone's curious. In volume 27, the translation note for Godspeed says "Shinsoku, in the original". Translation error, or is Shinsoku some kind of alternate spelling?

Also, when Killua is about to fight Yupi, he says "What I'm about to do now... is just to discount my frustration, OK?", roughly, instead of "What I'm about to do now... is hit you 8 times, OK?" that I've seen in the translations on the net.

I'm almost sure the first case is an error, but I'm not sure about the second case. If those are really translation error, can someone that roughly knows Japanese please explain how did those mistakes happen?
    I checked Kanmuru and it's made from the same kanji as Shinsoku...so shinsoku is just a different reading of the same kanji used in kanmuru...in fact shin and soku are the most frequent readings of 神 and 速

About the other one...I don't have a raw, but if someone could provide me the raw page I could try to explain...but honestly I cannot think of a believable explanation for such a translation difference...the only thing I can think of is maybe the second version could be an expression that has a reference and meaning something else, and the meaning would be the first line you posted...

I need to see the raw though...and I can't find it

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick answer! I've been trying to find a raw too, but no luck so far.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post

Actually, your translation is correct. All of Killua's attacks are spoken differently from how they're read. Though his attacks are written with Kanji that mean "Thunderbolt," "Lightning Palm," and "Godspeed," (Shinsoku) the ways in which those attacks are said (Narukami, Izutsushi, Kanmuru) are completely different words in Japanese that have nothing to do with the Kanji underneath. I have no idea what those three words mean, but Narukami at least seems to be referencing a Kabuki play.

Togashi does this for almost every attack in the manga. For instance, Hisoka's Bungee Gum, though spoken that way and written that way in the furigana, is written with the Kanji for "Elastic Love." The second case you mentioned is also correct in your volume and wrong online.

The scans on the net are filled with mistranslations; sometimes it's almost like night and day how different they are.

6. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answer! I kind of suspected that was the case, since I had doubts on how professional translators would make such huge mistakes compared to a regular Joe in the Internet.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost all special moves in HXH are read differently compared to what their character would indicate. For example Kurapika's move reads as Absolute Time but is read as Emperor Time.

In the case of Yupi, my copy says the same thing about frustration. I take it to mean, 'No hard feelings, I just want to beat you up because I'm having a bad day since Gon was yelling at me'. Remember, Killua is probably the nicest guy out of the main characters right now. He feels bad killing anyone who isn't just pure evil reincarnate. Since Yupi is fairly neutral character in terms of worldview, there's really no reason for Killua to fight him after he stunned him once. After all, Killua seems to be quite aware that he can't actually hurt Yupi (wasn't surprised that he didn't do any meaningful damage), so he literally was just punching Yupi for the heck of it.

Yupi estimated his enemies as less than 1/10 of his total power. Killua is definitely the best at estimating such things out of the main characters, so presumably he's aware of the power disparity too.
    Last edited by Phantron; January 28, 2012 at 03:08 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I figured out that made much more sense, because it's totally in character with what he was doing. He was just punching Yupi to let off some steam.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    In the case of Yupi, my copy says the same thing about frustration. I take it to mean, 'No hard feelings, I just want to beat you up because I'm having a bad day since Gon was yelling at me'. Remember, Killua is probably the nicest guy out of the main characters right now. He feels bad killing anyone who isn't just pure evil reincarnate. Since Yupi is fairly neutral character in terms of worldview, there's really no reason for Killua to fight him after he stunned him once. After all, Killua seems to be quite aware that he can't actually hurt Yupi (wasn't surprised that he didn't do any meaningful damage), so he literally was just punching Yupi for the heck of it.

Yupi estimated his enemies as less than 1/10 of his total power. Killua is definitely the best at estimating such things out of the main characters, so presumably he's aware of the power disparity too.
    I really liked this post--it shows just how much attention you pay to the series. You've got Killua's character down to a T.

New Reply