Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Has The Internet Changed The Way You Think About Manga?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Has The Internet Changed The Way You Think About Manga?

I was wondering if anyone has read Jason Thompson's article on the manga publishing industry dying a while ago and how he talks about manga being pirated online affecting the industry.

Ever since I began using the Internet to find out more about manga, I realized that it's great for discovering new series, but at the same time, it gives off this illusion that things seem okay, when they aren't.

I know manga revenue went up this year, but I am skeptical about the future of manga. The Internet makes me wonder if manga will be a online-only phenomenon globally, meaning it will all be absorbed online while Japan still struggles to understand the Internet.

What do you guys think?

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has The Internet Changed The Way You Think About Manga?

without the internet, I wouldn't even know of manga's existence...

And I only first learned about anime, from it finally being aired on tv here in the U.S. some many years ago now... DBZ airing on tv here in the U.S. was my introduction to anime, and I was already a young adult then, missing out on a good many years of anime, sighs. Well, actually not really as anime never was (as far as I know or rather not had available) aired on tv priorly. So, I would have only beeen able to know about anime, again through the internet, prior to it being finally aired on tv in the U.S.

the internet is almost the only way to get foreign content, and also unless you're rich... you really can't afford it anyways... too

I agree with those who said this in other posts in different this one, businesses do need to adapt and understand the situation from our perspective... (not to mention the publicity-marketing they get thanks to the internet)

I think the cry of piracy is very disengenius, it's like the cry of celebrities over their loss of privacy... (anyone who knows - has taken a law class, knows what I mean with this argument, hehe).

Their (using-explaining my example of celebs for the non-legal readers) benefits-perks of publicity far outweighs the negative effects of their loss of privacy (barring extreme-criminal cases of course, like their children being targeted and/or stalking - peeping tom'ing, though this of celebrities, doesn't seem to incur the legal wrath that, that guy who took pictures-vids of that hot busty blonde sports reporter received, lol. As we've got tons of racy celeb content, but only the guy got the book thrown at him for that hot blonde busty sports news reporter, meh. As that hot busty blonde reporter's carreer has really skyrocketed now because of it... meh).
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 29, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I always think certain people hate the Internet because they can't fully control it to their hearts' content. Their cries are just saying "Damn it, I wish we could control it!"

Also, I like the quote you have from Charlie Brooker. Sums up how I feel about the Net sometimes.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the internet is the only reason I even discovered and continue to read manga.

However, about your worries, Japan is far from being stuck in the past haha. We all know about how successful Crunchyroll is right? A while ago they launched a website for purchasing digital manga as well. http://www.jmanga.com/

It's still relatively new, and the site is far from perfect, but it's happening. I also feel like the popularity of this stuff outside of Japan is constantly increasing, so even if it becomes an online-only phenomena, outside of Japan, the publishers are moving in the best possible direction IMO.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always realized that even though the Internet is very convenient for the Western world and all the countries having indulged in the pleasure of advanced technology, it does ruin industries such as music and book publishing because of privacy issues. Regarding Japan, I always thought they would be ahead of the game in terms of technology so I'm skeptical about them being left behind and the Japanese struggling to understand the Internet...Sure, Westerners probably have more exposure to the Internet, but that doesn't mean the Japanese are far behind in terms of understanding the workings of this phenomenon. From a sociological standpoint, I just think that many Japanese people are too busy with their work/school life to have much free time to spend on computers like we do in America.

In regards the manga industry, it stills seems to be going strong. Sometimes when I occasionally look over the figures of volume sales for some of the popular and not-so-popular manga series, I still get the feeling that there are millions of people who still appreciate the real substance rather than the digital translated copies we have over here.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The Internet has certainly helped me discover manga I otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to otherwise. I don't want to go to my bookstore, sit on a floor and read a manga volume to decide whether or not I want to purchase it. Not only is that embarrassing, it's also a waste of time. Publishers may complain about scanlations all they like, but if it wasn't for manga reading sites I wouldn't be buying the manga I do have.

The downsie is that I have to remind myself that the artwork is ten times prettier in ink because that's how they're supposed to read.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say yes and no. "Yes" to manga and "No" to anime.

When I was growing up, I have always loved the way anime has been animated, and have always preferred it to other cartoon styles (this is pre-Cartoon Network). My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa, and Leo the Lion were definitely anime I enjoyed immensely as a child. Before I had access to the internet, it would be my sisters who'd expose me to more "mature" titles like mecha anime, Macross, etc. They were the ones who introduced me and educated me about anime in the first place, so without them I don't think I would have even realized how vast and how varied the medium of anime is. In that sense, the internet hasn't really introduced me to anything new. It hasn't changed how I think about anime.

But the internet has changed my opinion on manga immensely. IMMENSELY. While I could still see anime on TV, even when I was growing up in a developing country, manga didn't exist to me. The most that was available were Archie comics and some Marvel/D.C. comics (and even then they were censored). So the whole idea of sequential art and comic books didn't even occur to me. It was only when I had access to the internet that I discovered manga, what it was, and how I could read it (like Asarii, manga scanlations are also the reason I buy manga it in the first place). I have never been much of a reader (to my family's chagrin), but manga made made me take an interest in reading and to a certain extent, it helped me focus on what I wanted to learn in university. Without the internet I feel like I would have been such a naive and narrow-minded person, growing up in third world country with very limited media input.

I think the internet is great, and no amount of piracy is going to change my view on it. Yes, we are totally over-saturated with information, about manga, about everything--but I would take the excessive over the limited any day.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    Well the internet is the only reason I even discovered and continue to read manga.

However, about your worries, Japan is far from being stuck in the past haha. We all know about how successful Crunchyroll is right? A while ago they launched a website for purchasing digital manga as well. http://www.jmanga.com/

It's still relatively new, and the site is far from perfect, but it's happening. I also feel like the popularity of this stuff outside of Japan is constantly increasing, so even if it becomes an online-only phenomena, outside of Japan, the publishers are moving in the best possible direction IMO.
    I know about JManga. I do hope that JManga opens up to other regions and becomes the source for digital manga. I think that's what some people are having problems with as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rudorofu View Post
    I've always realized that even though the Internet is very convenient for the Western world and all the countries having indulged in the pleasure of advanced technology, it does ruin industries such as music and book publishing because of privacy issues. Regarding Japan, I always thought they would be ahead of the game in terms of technology so I'm skeptical about them being left behind and the Japanese struggling to understand the Internet...Sure, Westerners probably have more exposure to the Internet, but that doesn't mean the Japanese are far behind in terms of understanding the workings of this phenomenon. From a sociological standpoint, I just think that many Japanese people are too busy with their work/school life to have much free time to spend on computers like we do in America.

In regards the manga industry, it stills seems to be going strong. Sometimes when I occasionally look over the figures of volume sales for some of the popular and not-so-popular manga series, I still get the feeling that there are millions of people who still appreciate the real substance rather than the digital translated copies we have over here.
    Yeah, it still seems that way. I think Japan loves to read physical books still, compared to the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    The Internet has certainly helped me discover manga I otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to otherwise. I don't want to go to my bookstore, sit on a floor and read a manga volume to decide whether or not I want to purchase it. Not only is that embarrassing, it's also a waste of time. Publishers may complain about scanlations all they like, but if it wasn't for manga reading sites I wouldn't be buying the manga I do have.

The downsie is that I have to remind myself that the artwork is ten times prettier in ink because that's how they're supposed to read.
    It would be even prettier with image technology. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I would say yes and no. "Yes" to manga and "No" to anime.

When I was growing up, I have always loved the way anime has been animated, and have always preferred it to other cartoon styles (this is pre-Cartoon Network). My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa, and Leo the Lion were definitely anime I enjoyed immensely as a child. Before I had access to the internet, it would be my sisters who'd expose me to more "mature" titles like mecha anime, Macross, etc. They were the ones who introduced me and educated me about anime in the first place, so without them I don't think I would have even realized how vast and how varied the medium of anime is. In that sense, the internet hasn't really introduced me to anything new. It hasn't changed how I think about anime.

But the internet has changed my opinion on manga immensely. IMMENSELY. While I could still see anime on TV, even when I was growing up in a developing country, manga didn't exist to me. The most that was available were Archie comics and some Marvel/D.C. comics (and even then they were censored). So the whole idea of sequential art and comic books didn't even occur to me. It was only when I had access to the internet that I discovered manga, what it was, and how I could read it (like Asarii, manga scanlations are also the reason I buy manga it in the first place). I have never been much of a reader (to my family's chagrin), but manga made made me take an interest in reading and to a certain extent, it helped me focus on what I wanted to learn in university. Without the internet I feel like I would have been such a naive and narrow-minded person, growing up in third world country with very limited media input.

I think the internet is great, and no amount of piracy is going to change my view on it. Yes, we are totally over-saturated with information, about manga, about everything--but I would take the excessive over the limited any day.
    Information is key, as long as it provides substance. I think certain manga titles have substance, no matter how excessive things get.
    Last edited by tonyyao82; February 01, 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Answering multiple posts

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't be reading manga if there is no online scanlation...simply don't have enough money or means to buy them.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    I won't be reading manga if there is no online scanlation...simply don't have enough money or means to buy them.
    Yikes, sorry to hear that. This is why I hope Japan realizes the vast world of manga readers out there.

If anyone wants to read some more thoughts on what I think, I posted up an entry at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/164...ts-about-manga

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply