Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Characters you like but the rest of the fandom detest

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Characters you like but the rest of the fandom detest

I’m currently reading/watching “Brave 10” and I’m enjoying reading/watching it very much. The female lead of the series is Isanami. Yes, I admit that the girl has her flaws, but she also has various good qualities that makes me like her and root for her. To my surprise upon reading some of the comments of my fellow Brave 10 fans I realized that not all the fandom shared my fondness for Isanami; in fact, a lot of fans dislike/hate her.

Even though part of the B10 fandom doesn’t like Isanami, I still do. *points to her avy*

Pondering about how I liked a character that the rest of the fandom seemed to dislike made me think that it would be an interesting idea to have a thread where we could discuss about the characters we like/love but that the rest of the fandom dislike/hates. So here's that thread. Let's discuss about the character we love that the rest of the fandom detest.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; January 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Characters you like but the rest of the fandom detest

Well a lot of people dislike Raki and Shirou Emiya, but I have a crush on both of them.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of die-hard L fans seem to hate Near for basically being L the II. Mello -whom I also like- is disliked to a certain extent, but he's gets support from more fans.

Kyoko and Haru also hat a lot of hate in the Reborn fandom, which saddens me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MisaoFan's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really a single character but I love Naruto X Sakura. However, many people hate this couple, especially when being SasuSaku fans.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    A lot of die-hard L fans seem to hate Near for basically being L the II.
    Yeah I never got that too. If anything, I actually liked Near more because he succeeded where L failed.

I also think its amusing when a relatively popular character gets perceived as being disliked when on the internet. An example that fits this is Lenalee from D.Gray-man. Boy, does that girl get a lot of unnecessary hate! But despite what the internet fandom think of her, she's been the 4th most popular character in D.Gray-man since the beginning.

I think the hate for Lenalee is really weird, because a lot of the reasons people list are the same reasons they'll like Allen, or a male character. She had trouble opening up her feelings at the beginning, and people will describe that behavior as bitchy. No one would dare describe an emotionally- closed-up male character the same way. If she cries "all the time", then so does Allen, but no one complains about that. Someone even counted how many times Lenalee cried, and it turned out she and Allen have cried the same amount! It's the hate that's tied to double standards that gets me. If someone could describes their dislike of Lenalee without resorting to a double standard, I would understand and accept that.

/end rant

Another character, also from D.Gray-man is Johnny. The dislike people feel for him is enough to put them off of the manga, and that says a lot. I love Johnny a lot, even if he is a bit unrealistic (he's a normal human, and yet survived multiple stabs to the chest.....yeah).

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MisaoFan's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Kirino from Oreimo is another female character rarely loved by few and hated by most people. The same go for Index.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sakura from Naruto

I've always wanted to see her character live up to her potential but I think most fans just wish she would go away.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Sakura and shinji(from NGE) gotta to be the two most popularly hated characters, both of whom i like, specially shinji. I also like Naruto, who has quite a large hater-dom too.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Orihime from Bleach so much. Poor girl gets harsh word from the fandom and a lot of Ichigo X whoever shippers.

Lenalee from D.Greyman. All the Allen x Road shippers hate her lol.

Seiya from Saint Seiya since most of the fandom hates him.

A whole bunch more I'll end up adding later on.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I don't exactly like Sakura, I think she's much better than what people give her credit for. They're unfairly judging her based on few panels, and it kinda shows she's bad at love. However, she's a tough woman and was an asskicker in the first arc of the second part. It's a shame Kishi messed her up unfairly.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, I don't read Naruto, but from what I can tell, people also hate Sakura because she "unrealistically" loves Sasuke. From what I've seen, her love for him has put her under extreme distress and emotional turmoil...it seems really unfair to hate her because of something she can't control. Love is a powerful emotion, but its not always a problem solver - it can create problems too. That is something that makes Sakura sympathetic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlink310 View Post
    Orihime from Bleach so much. Poor girl gets harsh word from the fandom and a lot of Ichigo X whoever shippers.

Lenalee from D.Greyman. All the Allen x Road shippers hate her lol.
    Oh, Orihime. I like her too, but the amount of hate she gets is unbearable! You'd think she's sold her soul and made a pact with Mayuri or something, from the amount of disproportionate hate she gets. I still remember when someone tweeted to Kubo Tite about it and got a royal smackdown.

I wouldn't say its just the Allen/Road shippers who hate her. I've seen an Allen/Lenalee shipper hate her too. .__. Life is cruel like that.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Uchiha Sasuke. I'm not a big fan of him myself but the hate he receives is ridiculous. All this "emo" and "Sasugay" talk is over the top and not justified.

And how about we talk about characters we hate but the rest of the fandom loves too?

Personally I dislike Hibari from KHR a lot, he's such a simplistic character and I never got what's so cool about him.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    Now, I don't read Naruto, but from what I can tell, people also hate Sakura because she "unrealistically" loves Sasuke. From what I've seen, her love for him has put her under extreme distress and emotional turmoil...it seems really unfair to hate her because of something she can't control. Love is a powerful emotion, but its not always a problem solver - it can create problems too. That is something that makes Sakura sympathetic to me.
    I think that is a definite part of the fandom's hatred of Sakura but I think fans have a greater criticism of her; and that is that she is useless. And as much I like the base character, I have to admit they have a point.

She used be a reinforcing character for Naruto and Sasuke, as well as fellow student with dreams of being a great ninja.

Unfortunately, she has utterly failed to keep up with Naruto and Sasuke in terms of strength and abilities which makes her a very average shinobi at best. And the narrative has taken both Naruto and Sasuke to a point where neither seems to want or need her emotional support anymore. To make matters worse instead of addressing her character's deficiencies what Kishimoto did was use her as plot device, over and over. She doesn't mature or grow. She's just this character that is completely dependent on others in big moments.

The thing that drives me nuts is that her teacher is this amazing character that showcases what she could achieve if the series actually moved her along. Such a tease....
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shimao from Natsuyuki Rendezvous.

He is my favorite character from that series but the majority of the fandom hates him, detest him and some of them with great passion.

Shimao wasn’t a saint, in fact, he had tons of flaws. But it was the complexity of his character what captivated me. He was a very interesting character and there were many layers around him, and the more I knew about him and the more those layers were peeled off the more I liked him.

Unfortunately, most of the fandom doesn’t agree with me and just sees him as the bad guy when in reality he is much more than that.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; September 23, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize everyone hated orihime until after sould society, and I couldn't quite get why, but what I can say for her now is that I don't hate her, but she's pretty much wasted potential, and leave it at that.

I know there are a fair amount of Touma haters from Index (which the titular character gets worse of, whom I don't hate but I'm not exactly a huge fan) I can understand that his speeches can sometimes get annoying, but I'm less about it sounding like he has an answer to everything and more towards, he needs to shut up and fight already, and the people he fights generally START this. Besides, speeches aside, most of the villians for whatever reason are clrearly bringing about unnessesary crap, especially Vento who I was so glad got that punch. Overall I like how he's the regular down on his luck chump that can still kick ass, with a pretty cool power if you ask me. I know people like railgun and accelarator, but Touma's my favorite character to follow the plot on.

I can't think of anyone else off hand, I used to feel as though I'll come back if I can think of any.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast