Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Young Jump (Shueisha)

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Young Jump (Shueisha)

Kokou no Hito holds a special place in my heart for its excellent tackling of the subject matter and conveyance of emotion. But I'll give this series a shot. I dunno if I'm gonna try to translate it weekly, but I'll try to do the tankoubans. And obviously I need a group to scanlate it once we get to that point. I might at least translate this first chapter from the issue scans though.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to go against the mood, I only read 2 chapters of Ascension and although this one is a French setting, the revolution period is not my cup of tea. So it will be wait and see on my side.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand it's a story about an executioner. It's not "about the French Revolution". It seems like it's another human drama, which is why I think I'd like it. We'll see.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanson is the executioner who killed Louis XVI and 3 000 other people during the French revolution so I seriously doubt this will be skipped...

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    From what I understand it's a story about an executioner. It's not "about the French Revolution". It seems like it's another human drama, which is why I think I'd like it. We'll see.
    Human drama has potential for psychological stuff as well, it seems it's more about the character that way than the historical event.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It will probably about the historical events seen from the point of view of this specific character. You can't escape them given who this guy is.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Stoneface13's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Summary of Innocent
    Quote Quote:
    フランス革命に生きた「処刑人」一族の数奇な運命を描く、歴史大河開幕――!!! 理想を求め、現代社会の出発点となった革命。その闇に生きた、もう一人の主人公「サンソン一族」とは……!? 悲運に苛まれながら、「自由」と「平等」を求め生きた男の壮絶な人生を圧倒的画力で描破する――!!!
    Can translate?

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've already translated most of chapter 1, but had to go to bed after working on other stuff all night.
    The tricky thing is it does involve a lot of French which is a mostly dead language only spoken by a few hundred people from what I know. And I don't know much. And its grammatical rules and means of logic are rather hard to decipher because nothing is spelled like it's said. Also all their men look like women, apparently. And they all have about 5 names with about 3 hyphens.

So it becomes this sort of odd conglomeration of "Taking Japanese that's supposed to be implied as to be in 18th Century French, and translating that into English." And so it feels like it should be written in an antiquated way but I can't write that way beyond specific word choices (fairly literal translation of flowery language and such). And when flowery language does occur it becomes harder to decipher and still retain the formal tone of the Japanese/French. So I'm just going to translate it like I normally would I guess. Which results in people using modern phraseology in an antiquated period. And people using phrases that probably only vaguely sound like formal French/English but are moreso just fairly literal translations of flowery Japanese. Also, apparently "Charlot" is a pet name for someone named "Charles" in French somehow.
    Last edited by kewl0210; January 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

11. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

According to this article :http://guillotine.voila.net/Bourreaux.html, charlot became a nickname for executionners because all Sanson where named Charles something.
    Nowadays charlot rather refer to Charlie Chaplin character. Un charlot is therefore a clown or someone unreliable.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    According to this article :http://guillotine.voila.net/Bourreaux.html, charlot became a nickname for executionners because all Sanson where named Charles something.
    Nowadays charlot rather refer to Charlie Chaplin character. Un charlot is therefore a clown or someone unreliable.
    I guess that is where the word charlatan comes from as well. Or those terms come from it.

If there is a scan out in the next few days of the first chapter, I will create a separate discussion thread for it in the seinen board, discussing one series in this general thread does not fit. But for now it's ok, just to discuss the RAW in spoiler tags.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to reserve it and specifically mark it to not be scanlated until there are volume raws out, due to the detail of the artwork it would really ruin it to run it through filters and such to get issue scanlations done. I'm doing issue 1 this week but I don't think I'm necessarily going to do it every week simply because I do way too many series already and allocating time every week is much harder than allocating some time once every 3 months to do tankoubons.

Plus I want to get more of a whole bunch of the long-running series I'm working on and am I'm behind on done. And I still don't have any reliable group to work on Kingdom once I get into that. But I'm working on it. Also I'm translating REAL apparently.

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the translation kewl! Everyone that wants to read it can go here: http://mangahelpers.com/t/kewl0210/releases/36887

Please discuss the series in spoiler tags here, if you have anything to say about the plot, and I can really see that this indeed is a hard series to translate. I do hope we get the volume releases done by some group that does pick it up.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aramire's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012-2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 4

Does anyone know when Miracle Jump would be out? It's supposed to be out this month, right?

// Seeing how Miracle JUMP is a spin-off from Weekly Young JUMP I decided to move your post to the respective thread. Don't think the release date has been announce yet though, but I'd assume some point mid February. -- Mr.Prince
    Last edited by Mr. Prince; February 01, 2013 at 10:52 AM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aramire View Post
    Does anyone know when Miracle Jump would be out? It's supposed to be out this month, right?
    The next issue is out on February 26.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Stoneface13's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Found interesting PV of manga Jashu (now printed in Miracle Jump)
    http://youtu.be/r9imQdAsL8M
    Unfortunately it does not translate!

New Reply
Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast