Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Who's the Most Overrated Character?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Teresa

The results are hidden 0%
  • Awakened #2's

• Luciela

• Miria

• Rimulto

• Yoma Zaki

• Alicia and Beth

• Rachel

• Nike

• Riful

Thread Closed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Character

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore Most Overrated Character

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In the category

"Most Overrated Character"

The Gold Medal goes to...

~ Teresa ~

Silver:
    ~ Awakened #2's ~

Bronze:
    ~ Alicia and Beth ~

Spoiler: Nominations show
    Last edited by Miyagi; March 22, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Vengeance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Overrated Character

LMAO this topic is like fuel for a flame war. Anyway I'd have to say that Teresa is the most overrated character of the series. Even though she was killed outright by Priscilla people still want to praise her as being the most powerful character in the series ever to be introduced. When by comparison people like Priscilla, The Destroyer, & possibly the new AOs could take her down by simply overpowering her.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
    LMAO this topic is like fuel for a flame war. Anyway I'd have to say that Teresa is the most overrated character of the series. Even though she was killed outright by Priscilla people still want to praise her as being the most powerful character in the series ever to be introduced. When by comparison people like Priscilla, The Destroyer, & possibly the new AOs could take her down by simply overpowering her.
    I guess it works, though I think the main argument is that we've never really seen Teresa at full strength...she did a bit of transformation, but she didn't go all out, or at least as far as I remember, the beginning of the series is a bit hazy for me...
    I still don't know who to nominate though, cuz now that I think about it I sort of forgot a lot from this manga...I guess it's time to reread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no clue, everyone is kind of well-balanced. It's probably between Claire, Miria, Teresa and Pricilla though.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Leroid's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to say Teresa too. For all her power and fan-hype, she accomplished very little.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SaphG1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most overated: awakened No.2's
    Rigardo is my Nominee in terms of character's

Let not forget though Agatha and Rosemarie(I argue that she was only 1 in title, power wise closer to a 2)

As i've said in other threads awakened number two's have it so bad. Arguably They should be the most powerful things right after an Abyssal one. If what Yagi has lead us to believe about the scales of power (via his data book rankings on some awakened beings) someone whose roughly a 3X after awakening buffs up to a creature comparable with a No.1 or No.2 Claymore. That's a massive increase in power. Someone with true No.1 scale power becomes an Near unstoppable force that the Organization wouldn't even fathom sending an army of Claymore against. Yet somehow No.2's Like Rigardo and Agatha end up being easier to slay then a brain dead number 3 like Dauf...

They appear, get to be bad-ass for a chapter or two then die as plot device to show how powerful our main cast is becoming, and yet somehow we'll still see them struggle with far inferior awakened beings. I mean come on...
    Last edited by SaphG1; February 25, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^I think I will side with you on the Awakened #2's. I never even thought of that, but it is so true.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SaphG1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh already got a vote ^^ It's mind boggling in some cases.

Think about it this

Number four Ophelia (not counting Perception and spirit since they aren't reflected by the Awakening charts)

Ophelia Claymore:

Yoki: A
    Agility: A
    Muscular Strength: A
    Spirit: C
    Perception: B+
    Leadership: C

Awakened:

Yoki: SS
    Agility: SSS
    Strength: SS
    Invulnerability: S (Special Level of Ability)
    Intelligence: SS

Dauf:

Yoki: SSS+
    Agility: S (Special Level of Ability)
    Strength: SSS+
    Invulnerability: SSS
    Intelligence: C

Considering the sheer rise in power shown by Ophelia between Claymore and awakened, then factoring in how large a difference we see between her and Dauf (regardless of there particular attributes) Rigardo in theory might read something like:

Yoki: SSS+
    Agility: SSS
    Strength: SS
    Invulnerability: S+
    Intelligence: SSS

How on earth could Miria pre-time (Agility: A+ ) skip keep up with Rigardo awakened then seven years later struggle with an unawakened Hysteria (technique aside). She wasn't even close to being as fast as Ophelia awakened, Rigardo should have been impossible. After seven year of improve upon there attributes and learning to kill awakened beings; for the ghost's, all of them working in trained unison killing Agatha is possible. For a rag tag group of mixed numbers a kiling Rigardo without any practice at there weakest and tired from battle, complete nonsense.

No.2=epic plot device/system hole/cursed number

Known people to have held No.2 rank:

Rigardo: awakened/dead
    Agatha: awakened/dead
    Rosemary:awakened/dead
    Priscella: Awakened
    Irene: dead
    Roxanne: awakened
    Beth:awakened/dead

See a trend? number two are always pegged to be the next best thing and yet always meet some kind fate (most often very lame, sometimes cool).

alright i'm off to kiss some babies, remember:

Vote for(with) me
    Last edited by SaphG1; February 25, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

i wanna nominate Luciela. Abyssal of the South, she was so overhyped

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wickedsmile's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to nominate Rimulto. The man commands fear from his subordinate but in the end, he was too blind to see that Dae served only his own interest and Rubel basically maneuvered him into destroying the Organization.
    I don't want to die. Even if that makeshift family was all nothing more than an illusion, doomed to someday fall apart. I so wish, so wish, it could have lasted the tiniest bit longer. - Norihiro Yagi

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

lol
    It amazes me that it came to power levels instead of taking into account other factors like character development, dialogues (whether character was spouting nonsense or saying something witty or touching) or traits. But if we had to consider power levels only, Teresa is underpowered by many users if anything, not overpowered. She could easily defeat 80% Priscilla who is way above anything we've seen in a manga. If someone would like to discuss it there's a thread for that.

Anyway, I nominate Miria.
    Spoiler: long explanation show
    Short version:
    She's a plain character, just another idealist with no originality whatsoever. Her main trait is supposed to be being smart but if someone would like to analyse her behaviour it's nothing above average. The only reason she's still alive isn't because she was clever but because she has plot armour. Even her Pieta plan was rather stupid and worked only because Yagi wanted to move the plot forward in that direction. And that's the only example people are referring to to show how witty she is. The truth is she can't make a rational decision unless she has a lot of time (which in battle is deadly) and often she makes utterly stupid mistakes, like going after the Org alone and then being miraculously saved (again). The rest follows her for no reason really (Anastasia and the rest for example, I could understand they would help Deneve and the rest since they owed them their life but Miria was no one to her; not to mention Claymores who believed what Miria said in HQ). According to Deneve she saved them all but I don't see it at all. So far I only see she's endangering them more than MiB do. She uses people to exact her revenge because of Hilda.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The answer is Yagi. :P

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Leroid's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leroid View Post
    I'm gonna have to say Teresa too. For all her power and fan-hype, she accomplished very little.
    I think it would be in order for me to elaborate a bit better on why I choose Teresa.

First, about her development. When you look at it, all her development really boils down to is 'first she acts kinda like a jerk and then she doesn't'. That's really nothing special. I've seen ton of other characters in ton of other works who underwent that same cliched development.

Furthermore, that development was pretty much forced on her by another character. Teresa never would have changed if she haven't met Clare. Therefore Teresa gets 0% credit for her own development, all the credit goes to Clare. Why is this bad? Well think of it like this. Imagine there are two lazy good for nothings who sit around in front of a TV all day. And then one day one of them says 'Screw it. I'm gonna get a job' and goes out and finds one while the other is pressured into finding a job by whoever he lives with. Which one of them do you find more respectable. To me Teresa is just like that second one who needed to be pressured into changing.

Second, about her power. To put it shortly, she was god-modding for nothing. Have anyone ever noticed that fact that Teresa was overwhelmingly powerful had very little influence on the plot. Clare didn't inherit her power, the Organization doesn't know how powerful she was, it didn't even establish Priscilla as a serious threat because she beat her with a cheap shot. Than what's the purpose of her being all that powerful?

I know that this post will be very unpopular but these things really needed to be said.
    Last edited by Leroid; February 27, 2012 at 04:30 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ryus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^Agree with Leroid the most (but most of the names so far are good choices I can see good reasons behind) just due to overrated character being a hard argument in a series where just about everyone is important and too many place Clare's victories as solely due to Teresa and not her own merit. I get Goral's arguments as to why Miria should be considered (solely due to this latest arc) but disagree about Teresa's power level being an issue for another thread (how and why it was that strong is just as important imho). I also like the pointing out of awakened #2 (Rigardo was ok character wise but powerwise their power scaling is just too lopsided in favor of #1's, they could have at least made Dauf look like a joke in comparison but the didn't).

Disagree with Luciela of the South being one since she was used instead to influence Raphaela and thereby indirectly Clare. Her fight was unimportant since clearly Isley was going to have the upper had no mater what due to Priscilla being behind him. Best to use Luceila in some other manner, and Yagi did.

I'd like to throw out Isley's name into the pot too... solely due to how Yagi killed him off. I think he failed to capitalize on his character. IMHO Riful and Luciela had far better deaths that made more sense plot wise and had greater effects. He could have at least gotten more badass in the years after parting Raki and Priscilla and started in desperation eating towns whole like her to heal before the next attack... if not manipulated more events in a favor someway somehow even if he was no loger the strongest in the lands.

I'd also like to toss Hysteria the Elegant into the mix since the who whatsitsname hill thing was so poorly capitalized upon and felt so last second plot write in, at least Roxanne and Cassandra had a back history together and look like they'll be used to take out Hysteria followed by each other.
    Last edited by Ryus; February 27, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Yomi that ate Raki's big brother Zaki. He got beat by a girl. How pathetic.

trololololol

Thread Closed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast