Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paradise to New World Parallelisms

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Paradise to New World Parallelisms

I'm quite interested to how Oda will continue doing these (even though I really am not sure if he intends it in the first place or is doing it coincidentally) parallelisms between Paradise (for those who don't know, this is the first half of the Grand Line which started in the place where they met Laboon) and New World. Though I'm also considering the somewhat prologue of those two points which is East Blue/Arlong Park and Sabaody/Fishman Island, respectively.

So let's start. On Issue 39 2010 (Aug. 30) of WSJ, it was announced that Oda will have a 4-week hiatus marking the end of the first half of the series. When One Piece came back Issue 44 (Oct. 4), it had the Lead CP and cover of the mag... The spread Oda made in that issue was this:

Spoiler show

Looks familiar, eh? Yeah, it's exactly based on the very first color spread Oda made for the debut serialization of OP.

Spoiler show

This was also done in both the covers of Volume 1 and 61 with the titles "Romance Dawn" and "Romance Dawn for the New World" respectively.
    Spoiler show

After that, I noticed some (a bit more subtle and not really direct) parallelisms in the story that I'll just point out without further elaboration (it's up to you to not really consider it if you like):
    • Luffy's departures:
      Spoiler: East Blue show

Spoiler: Sabaody Archipelago show

• Main villains before entering Paradise/New World happen to be a discriminate Fishmen who both has strong hatred towards humans.
    • When defeating this villains, Luffy was forced to destroy something important at the same time. The main tower of Arlong Park (where Nami's maps were) and the ancient arc Noah (which is very essential for FI's dream to be on the surface).
    • After this arc, they are finally advancing to the important points of their journey. Funny thing is, there happened to be a mountain whale(s) in both of their arrival.
      http://www.mangareader.net/103-2209-...apter-102.html
      http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/654/17
    • The first main boss they encountered in both points were through Den Den Mushi only and are members of formidable groups in the Grandline (Crocodile=Shichibukai, Big Mom=Yonkou).

So yeah, I might have skipped some (feel free to post). The reason for this thread is to compile this types of things that might happen as the story goes on. You could also post predictions like: When they reach Raftel (comparing to when they reached Sabaody), the SH will, instead of separating first, be facing a great war (parallel to the War of the Best) then be separated once again (this time, the disbandment of the crew which marks the end of the series). Though this might get out of hand so I need the mods help.

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 9 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paradise to New World Parallelisms

Well I think it's pretty obvious that there will be another 2 or even more important deaths at NW's great war. Shanks, Ray, Kuma, Dragon, and/or one of SH's crews would be a likely candidate for it (though I'd hate the latter idea).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So what your saying is, Luffy meeting this Dragon at Punk Hazard, could be a parallel of him meeting his father in Rouge Town? That works right?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    So what your saying is, Luffy meeting this Dragon at Punk Hazard, could be a parallel of him meeting his father in Rouge Town? That works right?
    how could that be parallel? besides, it happened before he entered paradise, while luffy meeting dragon happened after he entered NW.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kukriblades View Post
    how could that be parallel? besides, it happened before he entered paradise, while luffy meeting dragon happened after he entered NW.
    I know, but I just figured he met his father after defeating a fishman and now he is meeting a real Dragon, after defeating a fishman. And if you want to get into the details, Smoker made his appearance in the chapters leading up to Luffy meeting his father, and although they haven't met presently Smoker has appeared in the same chapter that Luffy met this Dragon. Coincidence? Most likely, but it's late and I feel like being a conspiracy theorist before I go to bed.

7. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member UnknownMugiwara's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

- The color spread and the volume cover was obviously planned by Oda.
    - The Fishmen was probably not, since it has been in OP in a long time. Even tho Oda plans way, way a head, I do not think it was planned that there would be fishmen before paradise/NW.
    - The whales are most likely planned aswell.
    - The "I'm going to be king of the pirates" is just something Luffy says all the time ;P
    - And the Yonkou/Shichibukai, is probably planned for the story and not really for parallelisms with Paradise
    Brook wanted: DEAD OR ALIVE!
    Yohohohohohohoho! Marine Joke!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kukriblades View Post
    In this case the cover from East blue count even less.
    I agree with the Dragon, I even thought the same thing. But the nicest one for me was the Laboon, it was a really nice way to make them reappear. Maybe we will see them in Raftel next time.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Think like said before, stuff like the whales, the covers, etc were planned, it's definitely an Oda thing. The others might just be a bit more coincidence or for the story. Not sure we'll see any major plot points as references. In some ways i hope not, would make things too predictable which would make OP less interesting imo.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a lot of things that was similar. I don't know by you, but the whirlpool+whale stuff remind me CLEARLY the Inverse Mountain. Not just the whale.

I don't think though there will be more, since I'm sure Oda is planning surprises for us all and don't want to be predictable.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Aikidoka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not from Paradise, but since the King of Pirates panels (East Blue/Sabaody) were shown...this was something I noticed back during the FI arc:

Quote Originally Posted by Aikidoka View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I noticed a parallel between the last page and the panel where Zoro is shown for the very first time with his swords.

Coincidence, or intentional imagery by Oda? To be fair, he is facing the opposite direction, and has different arm positions...
    Granted, it's a bit of a stretch, but with Oda you never know.
    Rest in Peace, Pwncrow. You will be missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmyg View Post
    PS: Urial, how did you become a mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Blackmailing and whoring. It's easy.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ledoke's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Hyouzo show attacking Zoros back before this panel? If so then it could be that Zoro blocked him like the marines and then turned around while uncrossing his hands to repel Hyouzos swords.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the parallel with zoro was rather the frog and well ( with mihawk and hyouzou)

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

The sleeping gas and the party aren't somewhat the same? :S
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    In this case the cover from East blue count even less.
    I agree with the Dragon, I even thought the same thing. But the nicest one for me was the Laboon, it was a really nice way to make them reappear. Maybe we will see them in Raftel next time.
    I think it would be a fitting way if something like that occurs. Maybe, in the run up towards Raftel or I think it would be better if they appear again while they're heading towards the final island.

You never know...the whales may lead the Sunny-Go to that legendary island. xDDDD~

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really Paradise to NW but I just wanted to post this here simce I really find it interesting and cool, though I already stated this in the previous chapter thread...

Spoiler: Ryuuma show

Spoiler: Zoro show

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast