Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
I'm quite interested to how Oda will continue doing these (even though I really am not sure if he intends it in the first place or is doing it coincidentally) parallelisms between Paradise (for those who don't know, this is the first half of the Grand Line which started in the place where they met Laboon) and New World. Though I'm also considering the somewhat prologue of those two points which is East Blue/Arlong Park and Sabaody/Fishman Island, respectively.
So let's start. On Issue 39 2010 (Aug. 30) of WSJ, it was announced that Oda will have a 4-week hiatus marking the end of the first half of the series. When One Piece came back Issue 44 (Oct. 4), it had the Lead CP and cover of the mag... The spread Oda made in that issue was this:
Looks familiar, eh? Yeah, it's exactly based on the very first color spread Oda made for the debut serialization of OP.
This was also done in both the covers of Volume 1 and 61 with the titles "Romance Dawn" and "Romance Dawn for the New World" respectively.
After that, I noticed some (a bit more subtle and not really direct) parallelisms in the story that I'll just point out without further elaboration (it's up to you to not really consider it if you like):
- Luffy's departures:
- Main villains before entering Paradise/New World happen to be a discriminate Fishmen who both has strong hatred towards humans.
- When defeating this villains, Luffy was forced to destroy something important at the same time. The main tower of Arlong Park (where Nami's maps were) and the ancient arc Noah (which is very essential for FI's dream to be on the surface).
- After this arc, they are finally advancing to the important points of their journey. Funny thing is, there happened to be a mountain whale(s) in both of their arrival.
- The first main boss they encountered in both points were through Den Den Mushi only and are members of formidable groups in the Grandline (Crocodile=Shichibukai, Big Mom=Yonkou).
So yeah, I might have skipped some (feel free to post). The reason for this thread is to compile this types of things that might happen as the story goes on. You could also post predictions like: When they reach Raftel (comparing to when they reached Sabaody), the SH will, instead of separating first, be facing a great war (parallel to the War of the Best) then be separated once again (this time, the disbandment of the crew which marks the end of the series). Though this might get out of hand so I need the mods help.
Well I think it's pretty obvious that there will be another 2 or even more important deaths at NW's great war. Shanks, Ray, Kuma, Dragon, and/or one of SH's crews would be a likely candidate for it (though I'd hate the latter idea).
So what your saying is, Luffy meeting this Dragon at Punk Hazard, could be a parallel of him meeting his father in Rouge Town? That works right?
- The color spread and the volume cover was obviously planned by Oda.
- The Fishmen was probably not, since it has been in OP in a long time. Even tho Oda plans way, way a head, I do not think it was planned that there would be fishmen before paradise/NW.
- The whales are most likely planned aswell.
- The "I'm going to be king of the pirates" is just something Luffy says all the time ;P
- And the Yonkou/Shichibukai, is probably planned for the story and not really for parallelisms with Paradise
Think like said before, stuff like the whales, the covers, etc were planned, it's definitely an Oda thing. The others might just be a bit more coincidence or for the story. Not sure we'll see any major plot points as references. In some ways i hope not, would make things too predictable which would make OP less interesting imo.
There was a lot of things that was similar. I don't know by you, but the whirlpool+whale stuff remind me CLEARLY the Inverse Mountain. Not just the whale.
I don't think though there will be more, since I'm sure Oda is planning surprises for us all and don't want to be predictable.
Wasn't Hyouzo show attacking Zoros back before this panel? If so then it could be that Zoro blocked him like the marines and then turned around while uncrossing his hands to repel Hyouzos swords.
I think the parallel with zoro was rather the frog and well ( with mihawk and hyouzou)
The sleeping gas and the party aren't somewhat the same? :S
You never know...the whales may lead the Sunny-Go to that legendary island. xDDDD~