Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paradise to New World Parallelisms

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paradise to New World Parallelisms

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    So what your saying is, Luffy meeting this Dragon at Punk Hazard, could be a parallel of him meeting his father in Rouge Town? That works right?
    If there was a parallel like that, I think it's more like:

* Luffy "met" his father in Loguetown who helped him escape from Smoker.
    * Luffy met his father's best friend Ivankov in Impel Down who helped him escape from Magellan (who has a similar "just" character like "Smoker" IMHO).

Both are connected to Luffy's brother Sabo, too.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

grandline/east blue

1. welcomed by whale
    2. monkey d. dragon
    3. smoker
    4. strawhats captured / separated

new world

1. welcomed by whales
    2. met a dragon
    3. smoker
    4. separated and caught two different teams.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AluminumTough's Avatar
    Country
    Sikkim
    Post Thanks / Like

To me I don't think it's intentional but rather it is a product of the same characters living in the same world, with reoccurring characters clashing to make similar stories. However, it is very interesting to see Fishmen Arcs starting off two major points in the story. But when it boils down to it...it's just grasping at straws. Sure we started with a Fishmen Arc and the Straw Hats "saved" the towns people from the chaos caused by the fishmen pirates. Also the same happened from the New Fishmen Pirates. But this again is the product of hatred between fishmen and humans which is part of the story line. When you look closely there is nothing else that is really similar that doesn't happen in every or most arcs. Destroying something important happens in almost every arc, that's just the way Luffy and gang conduct themselves.

One the other hand, it would be interesting to see if we get new crew members in the same manor as before such as: rescuing Zoro versus rescuing a samurai or someone else on Punk Hazard. (which is something all the Straw Hats have in common Luffy saved them from something). So if we see someone that is tied up like Zoro and Luffy saves this person-I might speculate that we are getting a new crew member. But, I'm not going to be shocked if this does not play out.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Laif's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone i don't know if this is going to be a good thread to post this but, if not, please mods place it somewhere else..
    So.. actually i'm re-reading One Piece (again xD) and i found something intresting. Remember when before Sky Piea arc Luffy went to the town to get back the gold binami took?? Well.. he came with some "extra".
    , with Hercules.. and now let's compare this to Usopp's master who trained him in those 2 years. this time it's Heracles. Similarity? Coincidence? I Wonder
    Last edited by Laif; March 22, 2012 at 09:13 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

parallelisms in recruiment.

EAST BLUE ---- GRAND LINE

1. roronoa zoro --- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (3 katanas)
    1. tony tony chopper ---- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (hiluluk's flag)

2. cat burglar nami ---- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (arlong pirates)
    2. nico robin -------------- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (CP9)

****gaimon -------------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
    ****nefertari vivi ------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities

3. captain ussop ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
    3. cyborg franky ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.

4. black leg sanji ----- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
    4. dead bones brook -- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, it's not that easy. In the plainness of you parallels, you twist what actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by beck26 View Post
    1. roronoa zoro --- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (3 katanas)
    1. tony tony chopper ---- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (hiluluk's flag)
    Zoro didn't join because of the swords, but because Luffy made him believe that Luffy can become PK while Zoro becomes the best swordsman. That's much more of a motivation than "he brought Zoro's swords back".

And Luffy didn't only save Hiluluk's flag but also defeated Wapol and became Chopper's first friend after Hiluluk. Again, a different motivation.

2. cat burglar nami ---- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (arlong pirates)
    2. nico robin -------------- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (CP9)
    Nami joined him for a partnership of convenience. That was clear from the beginning. Later she rejoined to fulfull her dream.

Luffy saved Robin already in Arabasta from certain death so she turned it the way that he owes her one for denying her wish for death - and before even that Robin saved Luffy in the desert of Rainbase where she already turned out to be interested in the Will of D. She was then appealed by the spirit of adventure (as Robin said to Zoro).

****gaimon -------------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
    ****nefertari vivi ------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
    Gaimon stayed to be the Forest Guardian - and totally declined going with Luffy. Vivi stayed because she knew she can't leave her country at that time, but she also asked if the Straw Hats would take her with them when they would come back once again in the future. (Vivi is also counted as Nakama, Gaimon isn't)

3. captain ussop ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
    3. cyborg franky ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
    Franky didn't ask to join the Straw Hats. He was more or less forced to by the Franky Family after the Marines put a bounty on his head.

Usopp wanted to leave home to become a great warrior of the sea without any force. He later rejoins after being the first to seriously argue with Luffy which results in separation from him.

4. black leg sanji ----- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
    4. dead bones brook -- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
    Actually, Brook did join Luffy right away when they met on the Ghost Ship. He only said he couldn't when they happen to approach Thriller Bark. Sanji did not want to join at all. He even drove Luffy to say that Sanji needs to ask him. Luffy on the other hand asked Brook a second time who willingly accepted.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laif View Post
    Hi everyone i don't know if this is going to be a good thread to post this but, if not, please mods place it somewhere else..
    So.. actually i'm re-reading One Piece (again xD) and i found something intresting. Remember when before Sky Piea arc Luffy went to the town to get back the gold binami took?? Well.. he came with some "extra".
    , with Hercules.. and now let's compare this to Usopp's master who trained him in those 2 years. this time it's Heracles. Similarity? Coincidence? I Wonder
    catching hercules beetles is a kids' pasttime in japan

they have a huge fascination with the design of the beetles, how its head looks like samurai armour (which might be based on the beetles in the first place)

it's like an american comic showing burgers twice, it's nothing much to read into, it's just something that's deeply ingrained in american culture and happens to appear in various forms time and again

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Oh, it's not that easy. In the plainness of you parallels, you twist what actually happened.

Zoro didn't join because of the swords, but because Luffy made him believe that Luffy can become PK while Zoro becomes the best swordsman. That's much more of a motivation than "he brought Zoro's swords back".

And Luffy didn't only save Hiluluk's flag but also defeated Wapol and became Chopper's first friend after Hiluluk. Again, a different motivation.

Nami joined him for a partnership of convenience. That was clear from the beginning. Later she rejoined to fulfull her dream.

Luffy saved Robin already in Arabasta from certain death so she turned it the way that he owes her one for denying her wish for death - and before even that Robin saved Luffy in the desert of Rainbase where she already turned out to be interested in the Will of D. She was then appealed by the spirit of adventure (as Robin said to Zoro).

Gaimon stayed to be the Forest Guardian - and totally declined going with Luffy. Vivi stayed because she knew she can't leave her country at that time, but she also asked if the Straw Hats would take her with them when they would come back once again in the future. (Vivi is also counted as Nakama, Gaimon isn't)

Franky didn't ask to join the Straw Hats. He was more or less forced to by the Franky Family after the Marines put a bounty on his head.

Usopp wanted to leave home to become a great warrior of the sea without any force. He later rejoins after being the first to seriously argue with Luffy which results in separation from him.

Actually, Brook did join Luffy right away when they met on the Ghost Ship. He only said he couldn't when they happen to approach Thriller Bark. Sanji did not want to join at all. He even drove Luffy to say that Sanji needs to ask him. Luffy on the other hand asked Brook a second time who willingly accepted.

umm...im just talking about the pattern...you explained it in full detail...of course oda would mix the things here and there....my whole point is the pattern of recruiting...

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

And all I am saying is, your view is much too plain - and please do not lose yourself into comparing too much too plain. You could even go much more out of any details by saying: Luffy is recruiting persons whose dreams are compatible to his own, so they can support each other. Or at a certain plot development at each arc, the Straw Hat Pirates split in two or three groups and have a battle on their own...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    And all I am saying is, your view is much too plain - and please do not lose yourself into comparing too much too plain. You could even go much more out of any details by saying: Luffy is recruiting persons whose dreams are compatible to his own, so they can support each other. Or at a certain plot development at each arc, the Straw Hat Pirates split in two or three groups and have a battle on their own...
    that's the point...the parallelisms are just too simple and plain...so the author can mix it up here and there...im not saying im entirely true or oda is really doing it or accidentally...i think its a genius work for an artist to insert parallelisms or easter eggs in his works...its a compliment to oda.

artistic parallelisms or easter eggs is like sending a message to the audience and leaving clues, or maybe i just like conspiracies...well, either way, i respect your opinion coz im just throwing theories anyways.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Laif's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@hyper_megaman

I didn't know that. Thank you for that beetle info
    But i think it was still worth mentioning

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2