Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: The Hardsuit Design Threat(Project)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SwissGantzer's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hardsuit Design Threat(Project)

Hi community o/

About myself first:
    Im from Switzerland and im 21 years old. I work as a engineer (machine industry).
    Im not very confident about my English skills, I beg your pardon.
    I'm a huge fan of Gantz, for over a decade \o/
    This is the first project(of this kind) I've ever done, <- no experience in such stuff at all^^

I'm a huge fan of game / movie / manga props so i've decided to make one myself

I've checked the internet for a while and I'ver never found any Cosplay / props form the Gantz Hardsuit. Since the Hardsuit itself is rare in the Manga itself(well it gets shown more frequently now(Osaka arc Oka )), its hard to get into Detail with it. I've checked the Osaka Hardsuit(Oka) so far, and it does seem to have a slight diffrent appearance than the ones we see now in the current arc.

On the web there is a very nicely made Sculpture(Toysize) of a Hardsuit, it looks very nice but ofc, the one I'm gonna build will be a "real" one in terms of size 1:1 and yes, one to move arround(Cosplay). "With lights" \o/

So whats this Post about?
    There are so many details on a Hardsuit its very hard to get them all. The prop I want to create(wich will take several months) should get as detailed as possible, get as close to the original as possible.

The Hardsuit itself can be devided into several sub-parts like: Normal Suit, Hardparts(Upper Torso, Helmet, Arms, Shoulders, Armblades, Hands), Softparts(lower Torso, Legs(hybrid), Shoes(hybrid). (There are few more)

I want to go at this like an open Project, people can join and help, just watch, or give advices liek they think its right.

That project follows a certain structure:

Information gathering(gathering Details(pics and stuff) -> Decide(wich solution should be picked, since the Hardsuit itself evolved in shape and detail a bit), Design it(I've got acces to a 3D engineer Software), produce it(Use the Designs to produce a Moveable Hardsuit), Finish it(all the remaining Work).

So for now im starting gathering the Information i need to proceed, this includes, measurements and Details like the Hardsuit Helmet wich is desplayed rarely with full Details on it.

Ill start from Top downwards to the boots. Gonna go for the Head yeah!

Anyone whos intrested in helping out, discussing, advices or hints can post it in this threat. Ill create a Dropbox where the gathered Information will be stored in and accesable for the ones helping out

Firestartes: The Backpart of the Hardsuit is covered in most of the shown frames, has anyone an idea, how the back acutally looks like? The Shoulders seem to be symethrical on front/back, but the Backpart of the Suit itself is a mystery :S

Well then I hope we can have a lot of fun and creative ideas

/greetings SwissGantzer

* Update 07.02.2012*

preview about a part I'm designing atm. Anyone got an appropriate name for it? = function(like normal suit) power?I guess :3

*Update 08.02.2012*
    Found some nice pics of the Shoulderparts, took some time to get some realistic measurements, well here a very early preview of to ongoing work "Shoulders" "Note: its not the Final shape and yes the backside is completly diffrent than the frontside, ill add that later

Moar fuel for the timekilling machine Oo

*Update 09.02.2012*
    hm hard to decide wich version looks better. The Oka(osaka) Hardsuit had a *round* shape with less energycells on the suit itself. The new ones from the final arc got much more energycells(shoulders as example). I dont know wich one I should choose, well both look good ;D
    Ealy pic shoulders with energycells(final arc style)
    Last edited by SwissGantzer; February 09, 2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Update 09.02.2012
    "The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things!" "Puppetmaster *Gits*"

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Hardsuit Design Threat(Project)

i am not confident to say im in, i have to prepare my exam for like 2 months, at least.
    Don't count me in yet, but here i share some random ideas because i have the same thought.

there's no real hardsuit simply because it's hard to make isnt it?
    the Helmet,shoulders,shoe..etc. should be relatively easy when compare with the hand and arm, these parts need brainpower

The arm part is extended down to the bottom but when you move your fingers, the fingers move accordingly. Any idea?
    the internal could be as "complex" as this thinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5wqDWEaPFA
    (only the arm part of course)

also, ideally, not only the fingers, the wrist,arm should be able to move and rotate to some degree, if the internal has such skelecton thing installed.

i hope that i was just stupid and there's other better ways to do this, giving up the movement of fingers part should be the last resort
    Last edited by lolnameless; February 08, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner firebo14's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: The Hardsuit Design Threat(Project)

I just want to say...

Welcome, SwissGantzer.

Last edited by firebo14; April 12, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by SwissGantzer; February 09, 2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Not Threat Topic related discussion
    "The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things!" "Puppetmaster *Gits*"

Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm its weekend and I've found some time to gather stuff about the Hardsuit. In Chapter 316 there is a short fightscene where one guy in a "only Arms" version of the suit, fights some aliens. This time much more detailed, but diffrent again. So I would like to hear some opionions wich Hardsuit style is your favourite one?
    There are 4 Styles:

1 - Osaka Oka Hardsuit (the first known Hardsuit)
    - shape is generally "round" almost no edges
    - fewer amout of batterycells on the suit itself(then the other two)

2 - The Italy Hardsuit, not enough to make a judgement.

3 - Chapter 316 Hardsuit
    - arms only
    - very bulky neck
    - more Batterycells
    - longest armblades
    - round / sharp style, mix of 1 and 4

4 - Final arc Hardsuit
    - most batterycells of all suits
    - Very sharp edges
    - most detailed pictures youll get of a Hardsuit

well, whats your favourite, whats your opionion. I think the the style of the suit evolved while the sotry progressed. Personally I dont think there are diffrent versions of the Hardsuit, only one, and that one changed in shape in on or the other way.

"The shoulderparts you can see in the OP are based on the latest pictures."

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner firebo14's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: The Hardsuit Design Threat(Project)

Which chapter is this Hard Suit from?:

Nicely colored...

I very like this one, it is not a hard suit, it does not have a name... but i like to call it Super Suit, powered by hydrogen-fueled engine and something power assistance.

From c340 p1

Epic...
    Last edited by firebo14; February 13, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwissGantzer View Post
    Hm its weekend and I've found some time to gather stuff about the Hardsuit. In Chapter 316 there is a short fightscene where one guy in a "only Arms" version of the suit, fights some aliens. This time much more detailed, but diffrent again. So I would like to hear some opionions wich Hardsuit style is your favourite one?
    There are 4 Styles:

1 - Osaka Oka Hardsuit (the first known Hardsuit)
    - shape is generally "round" almost no edges
    - fewer amout of batterycells on the suit itself(then the other two)

2 - The Italy Hardsuit, not enough to make a judgement.

3 - Chapter 316 Hardsuit
    - arms only
    - very bulky neck
    - more Batterycells
    - longest armblades
    - round / sharp style, mix of 1 and 4

4 - Final arc Hardsuit
    - most batterycells of all suits
    - Very sharp edges
    - most detailed pictures youll get of a Hardsuit

well, whats your favourite, whats your opionion. I think the the style of the suit evolved while the sotry progressed. Personally I dont think there are diffrent versions of the Hardsuit, only one, and that one changed in shape in on or the other way.

"The shoulderparts you can see in the OP are based on the latest pictures."
    well, what exactly is 4
    how about the two guys who lost badly on chapter 349. Are they 100% the same as kei's suit(final arc suit) by design? i think so.
    if that's the case, we can sketch the back part of suit with less imagination.
    when one of them is dead, the lower half of the back is clearly shown.
    the back of shoulderpart is shown on cover (the guy who stand behind the word "GANTZ")

*about OP's image
    i know,it's a sample and incomplete,i just mention it, just in case you mislooked sth.
    the shoulderparts have four more cells on top (2 above the largecell, 2 mirrored along the axis of symmetry),
    if not mistaken (in chapter 349), there're 2 small cells on top(instead of 3), which are also symmetric(but closer to the axis of symmetry) and there's no small cell on the axis of symmetry

there's a "cell-like" cylinder on bottom(there're probably two, see kei's suit), which is longer then any cell

lastly, i think, large cell should be larger,
    on top view, the parallel part is shorter,
    and on front view, the bottom line between the large cell to small cell is not that straight, it's curved
    Last edited by lolnameless; February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lolnameless View Post
    well, what exactly is 4
    how about the two guys who lost badly on chapter 349. Are they 100% the same as kei's suit(final arc suit) by design? i think so.
    if that's the case, we can sketch the back part of suit with less imagination.
    when one of them is dead, the lower half of the back is clearly shown.
    the back of shoulderpart is shown on cover (the guy who stand behind the word "GANTZ")

*about OP's image
    i know,it's a sample and incomplete,i just mention it, just in case you mislooked sth.
    the shoulderparts have four more cells on top (2 above the largecell, 2 mirrored along the axis of symmetry),
    if not mistaken (in chapter 349), there're 2 small cells on top(instead of 3), which are also symmetric(but closer to the axis of symmetry) and there's no small cell on the axis of symmetry

there's a "cell-like" cylinder on bottom(there're probably two, see kei's suit), which is longer then any cell

lastly, i think, large cell should be larger,
    on top view, the parallel part is shorter,
    and on front view, the bottom line between the large cell to small cell is not that straight, it's curved
    Well the issue about the cells. The one suit(arms only) shows some bigger diffrences in the details. There seems to be 2x2 small cells o top in one shot, and we can clearly see no big cells ontop of the shoulders, and in the next one we see the standard 3 big cells orderd about 90°each.

About the Pics ive uploaded so far, its a rough shapescetch just to get a feeling of dimensions. You were right about the slight angle of the shoulders and the *roundness* of the edgepart (not a straight line). The straigt outline is from the final arc suit, wich is the sharpest of all.

Axis: If you stand infront of a Person: His from bottom to Top is he Y axis. The Head can turn(when looking left to right) turn on the Y Axis. The x axis would go from shoulder to shouler. When holding you rarms infront of you(paralell to the surface you stand on) your arms rotated 90° on the X Axizs. There is a Z axis, well cover that later.

An important fact about getting the right design is to know about the movements the suit actually can perform. From the stuff ive gathered so far the arms of the suit can only rotate a few degrees on the x axis(shoulders).because they block further movement with the shap itself.

There is this Arc like shape behind the Head of the Hardsuit arms-only user. Check those out if you got some time, nice details

In chapters 316 and 317 you can see some awsome movementshots of the suit itself.

About Suitstyle 4
    Yes those two shown Hardsuits and the Kei Hardsuit seem to be the same. The Backpart is a lot diffrent from the Original Osaka suit. You can see the back of the Osaka suit in one picture, when the suit got destroyed and ripped in half(flying thorugh the air). The final arc ones are not as detailed as the Osaka one.

Quote Originally Posted by firebo14 View Post
    [COLOR="black"][FONT="Tahoma"]Which chapter is this Hard Suit from?:

Nicely colored...
    Its one of the first Fullpic of a Hardsuit. This pic is from the cover of chapter 270 epic one of my favourites

Thanks for the replys, ill change the basic shape a bit, the update will follow in the op as usual

---------- Post added February 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was February 13, 2012 at 01:18 PM ----------

I've cut myself in the hand this monday, cant use the computer very good right now, ill do an update of the ongoing work soon :/
    Last edited by SwissGantzer; February 13, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

^ The exposed shoe has quite a high heel!

Edit: And I find it very unappealing.
    Last edited by Enn; February 17, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.mangareader.net/gantz/349/3

For the back?

And more in the next few pages.
    Last edited by Damura; April 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

New Reply