Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Complete absolute remake of the Gantz movies by the U.S. (United States/America)?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner firebo14's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Complete absolute remake of the Gantz movies by the U.S. (United States/America)?

A complete remake uncensored... full story of the manga, same characters, same everything!.. well not everything but maybe better than the manga a little by the U.S., release many movies after the previous:

Examples:

Gantz 1: Onion, tanaka, and buddha

Gantz 2: The Chibi Aliens and the Dinosaur mission

Gantz 3: Ring Aliens, Tae Hunt mission, and Oni Aliens mission

Gantz 4: Nurarihyon

Gantz 5?

I hope the U.S. gets it right. . In order to do so, they need alot of $$$ .. I am highly sure the U.S. special effects will be just beyond epicism.

It might never happen...
    Last edited by firebo14; April 12, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete absolute remake of the Gantz movies by the U.S?

dude I would be for anything that rectifies those atrocities they call "gantz" movies.

Yes, calling them an atrocity is unfair, they weren't that bad. But Gantz is so amazing, that anything short of perfect is simply a waste of our time. The tanka fight was missing the bird boss which was fucking awful, and the buddah mission seemed like a complete joke. Killing the monsters in practically single blasts.

The only way I think a gantz movie can be done correctly is if its completely CG.

The japanese make AMAZING CG movies, FF advent children was amazing, and I feel that they could do it justice this way.

I really hated how they portrayed the suits powering up. It was just a ballon effect.

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

Actually they really were that bad... terrible writing, terrible characters, bad acting, terrible overall story, action scenes traded in for shitty TaexKei romance/drama... random manga characters either shoehorned into minor roles or merged and warped together in weird ways that never really amount to anything in the story.. The second film actually completely removed aliens. It came down to humans basically fighting humans... poor idea. They just didn't know what they wanted to do with those movies... To be honest a US remake would be amazing. Either they do it well and that's awesome, or they do it so badly it becomes a thousand times worse than the Japanese version, and that would still be fun to see.
    Last edited by Damura; February 08, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete absolute remake of the Gantz movies by the U.S. (United States/America)?

actors are the hard part

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SwissGantzer's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete absolute remake of the Gantz movies by the U.S. (United States/America)?

I wouldnt mind a sequal, but if its done it should be done right. Not like that weird Godzilla(?) thing they threw at us o_o

Well take the expandables, put em into Gantzsuits and let them fight Avatars, would make my brain bleed xD
    "The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things!" "Puppetmaster *Gits*"

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    Actually they really were that bad... terrible writing, terrible characters, bad acting, terrible overall story, action scenes traded in for shitty TaexKei romance/drama... random manga characters either shoehorned into minor roles or merged and warped together in weird ways that never really amount to anything in the story.. The second film actually completely removed aliens. It came down to humans basically fighting humans... poor idea. They just didn't know what they wanted to do with those movies... To be honest a US remake would be amazing. Either they do it well and that's awesome, or they do it so badly it becomes a thousand times worse than the Japanese version, and that would still be fun to see.
    Right, there wasn't even a hint of Kurono in the live action characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by lolnameless View Post
    actors are the hard part
    Agreed. Didn't US make a live action of Dragon Ball? Even the trailer looked terrible.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

Haha wasn't it like 90% Japanese/asian(?) cast, and then they made Goku a skinny white highschool boy?

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    ^

Haha wasn't it like 90% Japanese/asian(?) cast, and then they made Goku a skinny white highschool boy?
    I believe my brain refuses to allow me to remember that theres an live action american dragon ball movie.

That being said, America is incapable of creating a good live action gantz.

Americans dont make movies for the fans, they make the movies in a way that will allow them to make as much money as possible.

That being said, I hope to never see an american gantz rendition lol

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

They try to make movies that will allow them to make as much money as possible. I think the audience is smarter than they give them credit for. That said, even if a movie is obviously shit people are still often willing to go see it. Like Gantz, for example.

I seriously hope there isn't a demographic out there that DBZ appealed to. That would be quite worrying.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Otaku400's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand correctly that the U.S. want to make a new gantz Movies?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku400 View Post
    I understand correctly that the U.S. want to make a new gantz Movies?
    I think this is a hypothetical conversation.

I do not want to see Gantz made in america, because it will be produced in order to obtain the biggest appeal possible.

Which can only be done by destroying the story line.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Even Japan destroyed Gantz's story line, I'm sure US can make more damage to the same (or make the worst damage ever).

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood shouldn't do a Gantz remake.

They should do an ORIGINAL Gantz movie instead.

The great thing about Gantz is that its premise alone is good enough to carry any story. Heck, Hollywood writers could team up with Oku Hiroya and come up with a Gantz story that happened in America around the same time that Kurono's story happened in Japan. We would have all new characters (though some could be loosely based on characters from the manga), all new aliens, all new story arcs. There is a lot of potential for it to be really awesome and also unpredictable to fans since we would not know the story ahead of time.

If they decided to adapt the original story instead, I can see why people would be upset. It's pretty obvious that all westernized changes to the original story would just result in fan disappointment. That is why they need to do an original story in the Gantz universe.

I really hope that someone picks up the rights to a western version of Gantz, and that they choose to make it canonical this way.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol I can only imagine how Gantz would be if it was Americanized. just think unlikeable horror characters from movies like Cabin Fever, Hostel, Feart dot com and place them into Gantz. If Oku was involved he would prolly have it where the characters were as unlikeable as possible with over the top American personality that show the bad side of America such as prolly 3 Jersey Shore type characters, 2 Kardashian like characters and Justin Beiber as someone who died but was spared by Gantz to be a relation to a celebrity like Reika, but of course the worse possible choice ever.

Let's not forget we'll have a lot of sex scenes to show the ugly side of society and leave no room for likeable characters, let's just make it where we shove in a bunch of bad cliches and watch as they slowly die til the group is no more.
    ------------

It would be nice if perhaps a Gantz movie was made in america we had more likeable or relatable characters in the manner of.
    -A foreign student who moved from China to help his family, he died after a mugger shot him when he asked for his walltet.
    (While you create a likeable character you allow the dark side of humanity to show itself since situations like this can occur in life and the lack of
    communication might lead one to get themselves killed because they are unable to understand the whole situation)

-High school student who ODed on drugs since he can't deal with personal issues at home, finds himself having addiction craves during
    the game causing himself to be less effective to help his comrades

-Home schooled student who killed herself (Kishimoto like suicidie) unable to deal with her emotions and the tyranny of her family

That's all that comes to mind atm, but at least in these 3 examples you can somewhat create real and relatable characters rather then doing something over the top. A student who ODs is not unheard of and it's also not unheard of that said causes of drug addiction is to subside their personal problems.

Murder happens all the time, and foreign students who move in to America do have it hard at times as they find themselves having to play the adult role at an early age but even then tragedy can strike since the unknown factor of a thief can occur to anyone.

Of course suicide when things become to much sometimes it's the only answer people see, for a home school student who isn't properly nurtured in social forms may find themselves to want to escape from it all, that's not to say that all homeschool students are like this but for the most part Gantz does tend to focus on damaged people in society when choosing them and for a Hollywood setting we would most likely see damaged characters for the most part rather then people with no problems.

So ya, I can see a live action working if it was a standalone and had characters that could be relatable or understood but if it turns out anything like horror movie characters the movie would definitely be dead on arrival.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner firebo14's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, true. The only reason why i like the American version is because only the video and sound effects... they far exceed any other country in making..

Though, the downside is the story, they suck at creating one, hopefully they will keep the original story from the manga... but maybe only if Oku Hiroya fully directed the movie, that would be epic. Imagine him sitting on the director's chair screaming when the actor/actress fails to act, "NO NO NO NO... U ARE DOING IT WRONG.. DO IT AGAIN PL0X!!111 OR ELSE I WILL LET THE SNAKES REAP CHUUZ!111"

lool

25. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast