Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Heart vs Mind?

Grenze MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Heart vs Mind?

It is a common theme in this manga, I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on the author handling this theme? To me it is a very nice view on this theme, though it was not as much in the light till Harimoto came along I suppose it has some roots in The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe. Though here it is simply a way to appeal to people unlike in Goethe's work where the themes of New vs Old also collide. Do you think this will be an important theme till the end?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heart vs Mind?

Well... so far in this manga, we really have two protagonist and two antagonist:

Yokoya - Evil Mind
    Harimoto - Evil Heart

Akiyama - Good Mind
    Kanzaki - Good Heart

So yeah...
    I'm pretty sure that the Heart vs Mind thing will definitely be a main theme until the end of the manga I think.

I think that for the first part of the manga (before Harimoto arrived), it was only a game of mind.
    Basically, it was Akiyama vs Yokoya (and the other antagonist before him).

During that time, Kanzaki learned the rules of the game and started to understand how to play it.
    And since Harimato arrived, the manga changed to a game of mind and heart.

So, basically, that means that, from now on, Akiyama will not be alone in the fight.
    Kanzaki will be there and she will take a lead role.

We already saw how she was able to reach some people, and I think she will eventually end up defeating the whole "system" by herself.
    Last edited by THM Nindo; February 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the LGT is more close to the heart theme, that is why it was really hidden for a long period of time, it is the way to defeat them more easily than using mind. Though I suppose appeal to the heart may be near to impossible with the current line up of players. The LGT just hopes that Nao will not get more skilful with her natural(it seems) ability to appeal to people with good using the technique Harimoto is also using with evil ways. Maybe the author will give his opinion on which technique is better with the display of which is better to defeat the LGT, so far it is suggested that they fear the heart more.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The way is see it, it's like this:

- The MIND can make you WIN the game.
    - The HEART can make you DEFEAT the system.

So, yeah, they definitely fear the heart more than the mind!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, but I suppose Nao and Akiyama would have to start having a good balance of the two, like Nao to get smarter, not that she is not, but I think she on her way, slowly, she has to do that. And Akiyama not to be so stiff at times, maybe this will be a good chance for Fukunaga to show his/her feelings to him? Maybe he is the way to get Akiyama that balance.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the whole mind vs heart thing as manipulating the rules of the game (making a strategy and such) vs manipulating people (mindrape) into acting stupider (lets face it, no one outside of akiyama, yokoya or harimoto has ever done something smart intentionally). Using the mind implies a deep understanding of the rules so as to take advantage of them and their loopholes and perhaps even find a way to cheat based on said rules or loopholes. The heart implies getting people to act completely on their emotions and have people act in unpredictable ways.

Using the "mind" has its perks and disadvantages. Using the mind (as in understanding the game and taking advantage of the rules and opportunities) is a systematic process. It requires serious analysis and the smarts to put together a coherent plan. In turn, the mind is also predictable. It is based on the rules meaning that someone analytical enough can see it coming a mile away.

The heart is different from the mind in that it is unpredictable. There is nothing systematic about it. It can turn the game in a direction no one can see coming simply because there is no way to reflect such direction in the rules. There is also a great element of chance into this, its not quite about careful planning. You can't guarantee someone will do as you wanted them too.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply