Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Moral of the Story

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The Moral of the Story

What do you think is the moral of this manga? From the very start I felt it had something to do with the development of Nao, it really will be strange if the author will not give us a moral here, considering this story is build on human emotion, interaction mostly stuff like greed and the basic instinct of survival. Though I suppose individualism vs working together is also touched. What do you think the moral of Lair Game is or will be?

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moral of the Story

Moral of the story? People are untrustworthy pieces of shit who need the few half decent human beings around to pull their weight. Ok, on a more serious note I can't say I have thought about this. Its not even that love, hugs and good will won the game, rather akiyama waits long enough for nao's mentality to sink in a bit so that he can manipulate it into winning the games on his terms.

As far as individualism vs working together, I would argue the manga points heavily towards individualism having the upperhand. Group work is usually taken out with a single move on either akiyama's or yokoya's part. More so, even when akiyama gets his group together and corners yokoya it is only because akiyama himself got the situation together, it is almost as if his leadership was more important than anything else... I don't think there will be a particular moral, rather we will see a focus on nao's growth after the whole thing.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would like the the really stupid players to get some sort of moral from this whole ordeal I am also eager to see Nao's development, she was just like them but it seem she has grown over the games, not much but still the others are the same as they entered. I think Akagi and Nerdo is something along the lines I would like to see the others be during the games later on. And we have yet to take a serious look into the personality of the LGT goons and higher ups.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nao does repeatedly spout a message that if people put aside blindly working for their own interests at the expense of everyone else and instead focus on the common good, then everyone is enriched. Despite what people might think, that view is actually pretty prevalent in the business world as people realize that screwing over business partners/rivals might result in a temporary profit but at a cost of future profits.

While that sounds like a potential moral of the story, I think the series has rightly noted that unless you can show people that it is in their best interest and in some cases force them to do what is in their best interest, blindly thinking that people will trust you is naive at best. You have to prove yourself before you can ask people to trust you.

Even though I think Liar Game's storytelling is heavy handed at times, I don't think that the author will not attempt to turn the series into something didactic or devolve into proselytizing for some world view by giving us an overly clean ending to the series with Nao's philosophy winning out.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say perhaps the morale could be that kindness does not guarantee trust. No matter how sweet and kind Nao may be and how she depicts herself, you can't get people to trust you through those words. The way you get people to trust you is through deception and epic sounding grand schemes that sound so overwhelming and amazing that you just want to be apart of it.

When people are kind regardless of the reason I think subconsciously people think that those kind people are just kind so they can get something out of them. They tend to feel more edgy towards trusting them rather then seeing it as genuine kindness.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oblivion's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i think there are a lot of morals to take away from the manga, but the one that resonates most with me is the one akiyama offered Nao very early (i paraphrase): "Don't be blind!!! Question and doubt everything. Don't be a naive fool." Seriously, this is one of the most important thing i say to everyone: Reflect upon your character, your action, the character of others and their action. THINK. Self-Reflection and questioning your surrounding will help you more them just being a sheep who follows orders and takes everything for granted. These people don't have the will to be true to themselves and thus grinded in the wheels of society.

This leads to different conclussion, three of those are represented by Nao, Yokoya and Harimoto.

Nao says that if people would come together and be willing to help each other everything would work out. but in order to do so they have to think for themselves. They have to realize this.

Yokoya on the other hand thinks about what fits him best and uses (is that a word?^^) others for his own agenda selfishly.

Harimoto uses the gullible masses to them his sheeps.

None of which is bar per se because each of em is true and honest to himself: what do they want and how they want it and but if they abuse your trust its your own damn fault for not seeing through their lies/hopes or at the very least not avoiding them all together.

Akiyama wants people to see what they are capable of and what not and see through the lies and deciet of others and realize how to best achieve their goals. Nao isn't very intelligent and she knows she can't take the liar game on her own, so just like many others, has to trust others. But just as akiyama says: beware who you put your trust on. Harimoto and Yokoya want to go a selfish route and will abuse your trust if you follow them blindly. Either you will be eaten from a wolf like yokoya and become a blind sheep of Harimoto. But may also vanquish together with Nao.

Reflect on yourself: Who am i? What do i want? What do i not want? How do i want to do something? With whom can i realize my goal? Do i really know them? Whom shall i go out of the way or beware of?

If you want to help not only yourself but also others no matter who they are and willing to maybe even lose coz not everyone participates? (nao) then go with her. But if you want to win so badly that you are willing to risk the happiness of others? (yokoya) then do it. But if you are willing to give up your freedom and character and only care about certain special ones like you harimoto might be the right fit. Maybe there is a fourth/fifth/etc. possibility for you: think and do it.

Nao had to learn to not blindly trust everyone while some other players have to learn no to mistrust everyone coz one of em might be the right fit for them. Think, all the time and everytime.
    Last edited by Oblivion; February 26, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Oblivion@Deviantart
    keep answers like mini skirts, short to keep it interesting, but enough to cover the subject!

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FaustXIII's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it wrong to be Foolishly Honest like Nao Kanzaki?

That's the moral I think
    [

New Reply