Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: 7 - nin no Shakespeare by Harold Sakuishi

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

7 - nin no Shakespeare by Harold Sakuishi

7 - nin no Shakespeare
    By: Harold Sakuishi
    Genre: Historical
    Serialized In: Big Comic Spirits
    Publisher: Shogakukan
    Mangaupdates

As the name implies, the manga deals with the "light and darkness" of the 16th-century London actor, playwright, and troupe manager William Shakespeare.

By the Mangaka of Beck

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 7 - nin no Shakespeare by Harold Sakuishi

This is just surreal! Just when I was about to pick up some Shakespeare play to get my cognitive power going I see this, I wonder if this manga will explore some of the themes that are up for debate today, like his sexuality? With historical manga one can not be too sure of how the mangaka will stick to some historical facts but as long as they capture the character of William Shakespeare I am good.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Alright, read the first one! Already carving for more, I suppose they are in the process of catching up to this one, the release is 2010, damn it is just too beautiful! The bard is such a classy guy, he is really an inspirational man, love how he is portrayed here.

On the actual plot, conspiracy around everything it seems, from official torturers, to scam artists trying to earn a quick buck, or are they? The art is so juicy as well.

/excessive fanboying
    Last edited by Josef K.; February 09, 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

This is from the mangaka who made Beck so I will most definitely read this!

Edit: I've read it and so far it is interesting (obviously, I am biased at wits end when it comes to this mangaka). Juicy indeed.
    Last edited by Enn; February 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, some series are just a must try due to them being from a well respected mangaka with great works in the past. But when it comes to such mangaka and their manga it should be known they have potential. Even though historical manga are a challenge for any mangaka, experienced or not.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently discovered by me. I was thinking about doing a review on it but with so little chapters out, I have to wait for a decent number of releases before I could probably write one up. I have never read any of Mr. Shakespeare's work but since, I'm older, I'm more interested in them.

(Please read from right to left.)

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you in advance segua for doing the review. I too hope for a faster release of chapters and catching up to this series, such is the case with many of these hidden gems, but I wait patiently.

Also something I forgot to mention in my first post, I really love how the series starts off with exploring the theater as a place of sin, I too have spent time thinking about this, do people think of the theater as a place for evil, darkness, sin, in that sort of connotation or in one word bad influence, or more of an entertainment, enlightenment kind of view, a positive view a critique on society and such? I would love to see the manga explore those themes.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, puritanism was from the restriction of the church in letting ordinary people interpret their teachings. I like that Sakuishi is showing that theatre as an art is initially viewed as devious social progression that might be create dispute to authority.

I can only hope for faster release of chapters! This made me suddenly miss Shakespeare's works (his beautiful use of old english, to be precise).

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly! I think that official torturer guy will try to subvert the arts into the power of the church/monarchy though I think Elizabeth prefers Shakespeare, historically as well. They will try to input the teachings into the theater thus making it part of the whole order and thus ruining Shakespeare and getting the masses under their control as well.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and we don't know if that guy with a mark on his face is offering to publish true art or starting propaganda against it (in support of the authorities, replacing the said art to prevent it from being exposed to the public).

I also like the dynamic of how authority might turn out to be art/liberty vs. church vs. monarchy in the long run.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] 7 - nin no Shakespeare by Harold Sakuishi

A few chapters have emerged in the meantime, I am waiting for a volume to be scanned before continuing.

On the whole debate(without reading current chapters, but going from the second one.) Hm time shifts much? Not too keen on them this early, then again time shifts and introduction of another story line is of the most importance to be done well, that way we will know if the author went a bit ahead of himself. So far pushing it at the start is not the best idea, but we will see. As for liberty, I really want more Shakespeare witty phrases and action to prove his point.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I recognized Harold Sakuishi's art style when I saw your sig Josef K.! This seems like quite the interesting series, plus I loved BECK, so I'm definitely going to check this out!

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I thought I recognized Harold Sakuishi's art style when I saw your sig Josef K.! This seems like quite the interesting series, plus I loved BECK, so I'm definitely going to check this out!
    He has done an interesting choice with this one, his previous work is a bit different, though this one really feels like it captures that historical aspects a lot. It certainly is up there with other manga that have history mixed in them.

Btw, scans stopped about 2 months ago.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't hugely in to Beck, but this looks pretty cool. I really like how his art style's developed.
    Last edited by Galactic Tomahawk; September 16, 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

A little advertisement for Harold new shounen :
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...akuishi-Harold

I hope it will not affect 7 shakespeares schedule to much.

New Reply