Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: What if instinct is wrong

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What if instinct is wrong

In the world of HXH, instinct is almost never wrong. The only notable exception is when Gon says he's sure Kite's still alive (which turns out to be sort of true anyway). It is even more accurate than stuff like reading your memory (see Machi versus Pakunoda). Pitou pinpointed where Killua is based on nothing besides instinct.

But what if instinct is wrong? We know there is obviously no evidence of Pariston doing anything wrong. We don't even know if he's directly involved in his allged crimes. But it seems like eveyrone is sure he's doing these things, presumably because their Hunter instinct says so. What if it's the Hunters who are wrong all along? It's clear Pariston could be up to great evil if he wanted, but based on his latest conversation, it seems like he's only up to great evil if the Hunters failed to entertain him. I'm guessing in the end this is another case where instinct turns out to be right again, but instinct isn't supposed to be a substitute for proof, unless you're in detective manga.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What if instinct is wrong

when the instinct is wrong you are dead finished
    and gon must have a good instinct because he lived and played with animals in whale island

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunters usually have good instincts...it's part of their skills.
    As Kiba said, wrong instincts = dead

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Your instincts are greatly valued when you have experience, they both co-relate with one another. As we seen so far most of the hunters and antagonists show some sort of experience one way or another.Same with taking opportunities can also greatly value your luck. Both of these things have been shown in the Hunter world. Pariston shows much of these traits during the election. He knew he couldn't trust fully on his instincts or experience but also on luck. As shown in the HxH world your instincts make your path in life or can also hinder it. I like how Togashi portrays most of these ideas in his story which makes it really fun to read.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    instinct isn't supposed to be a substitute for proof, unless you're in detective manga.
    i would argue that instinct is more related to hunting and proof is more related to detectiving

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Pariston was evil before and maybe he still is but I think rather than already being a villain he will develop into a villain.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think on Pariston as villain anymore, actually. He's quite an interesting antagonist, which is not the same.

And if instincts are wrong then as was you're dead. Instincts represent the way character show their potential or how much obvious one thing is in the HxH world. I always remember Meleoron saying "Gon has no limits, He's just like staring at emptiness" or something among those lines. That did not implied He was THEN strong. Hisoka should felt the same way about him, thus allowing him to live when He had the chance. It's the certitude that things are gonna be like that.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not talking about whether instinct is important for whatever they're doing. Of course it is.

I'm talking about how a lot of decisions in HXH is based solely on instinct. For example, we know there is no proof that Pariston did anything wrong, but various Hunters swear he's behind it because that's what their instincts say. What if that's wrong?

The Spiders, after all, sided with Pakunoda's ability over Machi's instincts, and that's how you're supposed to approach things, even though Machi turned out to be right.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I'm not talking about whether instinct is important for whatever they're doing. Of course it is.

I'm talking about how a lot of decisions in HXH is based solely on instinct. For example, we know there is no proof that Pariston did anything wrong, but various Hunters swear he's behind it because that's what their instincts say. What if that's wrong?

The Spiders, after all, sided with Pakunoda's ability over Machi's instincts, and that's how you're supposed to approach things, even though Machi turned out to be right.
    I dunno if their hunter instincts played that big a part in their dislike and suspicion for paristion. He beat them to become vice...that's your number one reason as to why they disliked him. Secondly they couldn't read/predict Pariston...making them angry, feel inadequate and hence suspect him. Lastly there is the fact that during his time, a lot hunters disappeared. also he apparently kept opposing/causing problem to Netero, whom the zodiacs(except gin ofc) worship.

So yeah lots of factors why they disliked and suspected him.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hate to sound like a broken record, but like everyone before me I heavily believe in the world of hunter x hunter, much like in the vein of FMA, if your brain process or instincts are at all wrong or impaired, you're as good as dead.

this often makes me suprised that leorio isn't dead yet, given in the election he didn't even pay notice to nanika's aura *he could have ignored but but I doubt it* I'm glad he isn't dead because he's one of my favorite characters in the series, but still I gotta wonder. guess the comic relief trope saved him? *Hanzo K.O. punched*
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Noonealive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy3331 View Post
    hate to sound like a broken record, but like everyone before me I heavily believe in the world of hunter x hunter, much like in the vein of FMA, if your brain process or instincts are at all wrong or impaired, you're as good as dead.

this often makes me suprised that leorio isn't dead yet, given in the election he didn't even pay notice to nanika's aura *he could have ignored but but I doubt it* I'm glad he isn't dead because he's one of my favorite characters in the series, but still I gotta wonder. guess the comic relief trope saved him? *Hanzo K.O. punched*
    One thing i could say about Lerio not being dead is because he happend to be the person that doesn't directly get involved in any conflict. His friends such as Gon, Karupika, and i can say Killua helped him a lot. As for the York shin arc he was also indirectly involved, the Genrei Ryodan didn't have any idea who he was, so there isn't really any sort of thing that happened that would really get him in a situation that would put him in danger. As for the election there wasn't anyone there that was threatening or pointing out that he was such a target. So that could explain why he hasn't died... lol

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually the only one who felt Alluka were the ones surrounding the building and Gin. Pariston knew it by looking at Gin. So to be fair, Leorio has actually a good instinct. Proof of that is that He always spot on on his sayings and lectures to everybody else.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

New Reply