Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

  1. #61
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    I was gonna say, the fight seems kinda ridiculous if you think about it, but at the same time its not like Kurapika wasn't going to lose poorly if he didn't have Chain Jail. Without Chain Jail I think Kurapika (using emperor's time) would have eventually been splattered two or three direct hits later. And this is assuming Uvo isn't at the 100% top of his game. Simply put to say he tanked that punch is a bit of a stretch to me.

  2. #62
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    I didn't read every post. To answer why kurapika did not use zetsu because he wanted to see how strong Uvon really is, bear in mind his got 12 other members to deal with. In addition he did not take full hit he evaded, he must've sensed the power Uvon had in his punch and i dont believe he mustered all his nen just to defend that attack that would only make his chain go away(ko, i think that was the nen technique).

  3. #63
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    I never answered NFW post! :O After so long I may have forgotten my points. Let's see.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoFreakingWay View Post
    Posts like these are the reason I feel like I'm talking to a wall.
    Well, you're talking to a plain surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoFreakingWay View Post
    In HxH, once you reach the Hatsu Level cap, there remains 3 ways to "take it further".
    You're assuming that there is level caps. I'm assuming there is not level cap of Hatsu. Which means we're debating two different perspective that probably wont match ever. Let's give it a try.

    Quote Quote:
    1. Do Ten and Ren everyday to increase AOP and POP. This is for pumping more aura in your Nen-apps.
    For reinforcement users this applies as well as Hatsu training.

    Quote Quote:
    2. Show your determination and the intensity of your emotions by putting more restrictions and conditions in your Hatsu so that you'll give it more Mystery Points
    I was thinking that MP are kinda hard to predict. You say that it's applied only once at Emperor Time and I say it's applied twice as Emperor Time and Circumstances against Spiders. (One by birth, one by life experiences)

    Quote Quote:
    3. With your accumulated knowledge and experience, use your Hatsu creatively to get more out of it (i.e. Hisoka's way of using Bungee Gum and Deceitful Texture).
    I kinda agree and disagree. My point is easier to see with conjuration, emission and manipulation users: Hatsu as it increases allows you to make more with your aura. This means that even if you have a lot of aura not always you're able to make it work properly. Let's see Kastro example: He as a reinforcement user tried to make a doppelganger that He control fully. Then we have Morel who can make at least 50 strong Smoke Warriors. Let's make a review on "Nen-based" creatures that uses manipulation:
    Quantity:
    Morel controls at least 216. (Manipulation) 50 with more complex techniques.
    Shachmono controls 11 (Emission)
    Goreinu controls 2 (Emission)
    Razor controls 14 (Emission) (The techniques is named 14 Devils)
    Kastro controls just 1 (Intensification)
    Quality:
    Morel -> Mid-Advanced Fighting with 50 Smoke Troopers.
    Shachmono controls 11 (Emission) - > Mid-Low Fighting Shadow Troopers.
    Goreinu controls 2 (Emission) - > High Figthing-Special Gorillas.
    Razor -> Mid-High since one can even talk and remember rules. #13 even matches the strength of Gon.
    Kastro controls just 1 (Intensification) - > Mid (Since it requires he being focused and nearby) Fighting Doppelganger.

    Notice that there is three users of Nen there of the same school and the five can illustrate clearly the Nen diagram. Even if Sachmono control more troopers they're useless at best: They can't be used in serious fighting. In the other hand 2 Gorillas with MORE complex orders and special abilities. Razor control at least 8 simultaneous troopers. They have complex abilities, since they can play a game quite easy and take decisions quick.
    We have here three users of the same school: Beginner Shachmono, Mid Goreinu, High Razor. This illustrates with quantity and quality of the beasts.
    And then we have a Morel, who is a High Nen user as Razor and He can do 5 times more to say the least. With mid-complex orders, who says a lot. This illustrates that you CAN level hatsu without a cap and that wont affect the difference with each school.

    I don't know if this illustrates enough, but I can expand on this if you want me to be more clear.

    Quote Quote:
    1 and 2 are the measurable ways of bringing your Hatsu beyond the Hatsu Level cap. 3 is immeasurable. All 3 do not have anything to do with Hatsu Levels anyway. I have been pointing 1 and 2 out so many times in the past few posts and I am utterly baffled why you keep ignoring it. I guess you don't have much time to digest everything in those long posts.
    This is what happens when you start to discuss a premise without pointing the difference. My bad, anyway, since I should notice this earlier.

    Quote Quote:
    What? Gyo and Aura Balance? What the hell? It's clearly written there. "Shu and Kou".
    Not "Gyo and Aura Balance". What are you even talking about?
    Which are two ways to name Gyo and Aura Balance :P Kou is Gyo with Zetsu. So you need to balance your aura to use it properly.

    Quote Quote:
    And why single out Reinforcement? Training Ten and Ren increases your AOP and POP. With a bigger amount of AOP and POP you have more Aura to pump your Nen-Apps with. With more AOP and POP, you have more Aura to maintain Ten and Ren longer. With more AOP and POP, you have more Aura to maintain things like Shu and get a stronger Kou. With more AOP and POP, you have more Aura to put longer hours into "specific Hatsu training" of Reinforcement, Transformation, Emission, Manipulation and Materialization. This is why Biscuit pointed out that you can't neglect basic training (Ten and Ren), because it makes you train other apps longer. No reason why you should single out Reinforcement.
    Yes, AOP and POP are trained with basic techniques.
    I did not singled them out, I said that training Ten and Ren works as Hatsu training with Reinforcement since this school in particular just applies basic techniques.

    Quote Quote:
    Level 10 is not limited. That's just your opinion. You underestimate what I meant by Level 10 too much. I have said in an earlier post that 100% of Level 10 takes a very long time to reach. Level 10 100% is to HxH as Level 99 is to Diablo 2. Most people won't reach it.
    See that Kurapika is pictured as level 10 conjuration user. Seeing all the Nen users shown after Kurapika fight I think it's clear that level 10 is way too short.

    Caps exist. At least, for Hatsu Levels. There aren't any caps for AOP/POP. These are what I've been repeatedly saying. You just have to read harder, and you have to ask yourself practical questions.

    Quote Quote:
    The four clues to the Hatsu Level caps are:
    1. The Hatsu Level (represented by things like Emission Level 4, Materialization Level 10 in D)
    2. The Level Percentage (represented by the "40%" of Emission Level 4 in D)
    3. Sens Points (represented by "100% in Reinforcement for Reinforcement users" and "60% in Reinforcement for Materialization users" in B)
    4. The word "maximize", used by Kurapika's master in B.
    1) Hatsu level of Kurapika...A beginner in Nen.
    2) Level percentage means how much you're able to use proficiently the aura in a foreign school.
    3) I don't know what you're talking about, please explain :O
    4) Hum, this could be the point. The word in japanese is?

    Quote Quote:
    2. If there were no Hatsu Level caps, would this accurately explain how Kurapika only suffered a fracture from BBI?
    Let's use your example. Let's put Kurapika at Level 5 Reinforcement, and Ubo at Level 17.
    Let's also give sample Conditions. Let's put Kurapika at 90% and Ubo at 80%.
    Then let's use the Damage Reduction formula used by Kurapika's master.
    (80 + 170) - (90 + 50)
    = (250) - (140)
    = 110% Damage.
    Let's take this a step forward and give sample numbers for BBI and Kurapika's defensive Nen-App.
    Ubo is way more experienced than Kurapika at Nen. He should therefore have a lot of AOP/POP and he should have a lot of aura packed in BBI, as demonstrated when he carved a crater and tore Worm into shreds. Let's give his BBI a modest 6000 Aura. Why? BBI certainly couldn't have been weaker than Chimera Ant-era normal Gon Jan Ken Guu (i.e. the one he used on Knuckle and the Owl-Gorilla and Bat chimera Ants).
    That formula misses condition and you're completely ignoring that while Emperor Time, Kurapika uses all schools proficiently. Also, this numbers doesn't reflect exhaustion properly, since it should be a number that affects the ending result.
    I can't discuss this since I can't agree with your premise here as well, which is the formula you're using that the Master only used it to teach basic Nen fightings before knowing the details of Emperor Time.

    Quote Quote:
    Kurapika is relatively new to Nen. He should have a lot less AOP/POP than Ubo. Add to that the fact that he is from Materialization so that his Reinforcement Hatsu training speed is low. Add to that the chance that he concentrated more time training for Materialization. Let's say the amount that his defensive Nen-App can reduce is around 500.
    Emperor Time.
    And He's new to Nen but his bow is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strict and allows him to use it as a more levelled nen user. Which was the original point.

    Quote Quote:
    You say it "doesn't affects the levels", so Emperor Time stays at Level 5, but it's just raised to 100% of Level 5.
    Bringing Reinforcement to 100% Level 5 from whatever it's at won't do much to buffer the damage. There's still an undeniably monstrous difference which, in this example, would amount to 6100, since I've already assumed in this example that Kurapika is at 100% of Level 5. A fracture shouldn't be an accurate reflection of this number.
    In this formula you should add the circumstances in which:
    - Uvo is not at his top.
    - Kurapika has waited this moment nearly half his life.

    A fracture THEN is a reflection of this number.

    You should ask yourself this: If Hatsus have caps, how it is that more experienced Nen users can do better in foreign schools than beginners native of that school.
    And to be honest I didn't read the rest because I've to go to work, but if any of this answer what I said please remind me so.

    Anyway, we're ausing two different system to explain the fight and I actually see both of them viable. Also, I can't see in the manga anything but the word "maximize" which I honestly put in question since Togashi changed the Nen system a lot since then.
    Last edited by Uriel; August 06, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #64
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    I notice HXH has a tendency of getting people to think breaking an arm is no big deal. Although it's not as bad as breaking an arm in real life, in HXH only two characters can recover from this kind of damage in midfight, namely Pitou and Kurapika. All other characters would definiately have the usage of that arm out for the remainder of the battle. The come back from behind cases where a guy has a broken arm more or less require extremely good tactics plus the opponent being dumb. So the fact that Kurapika can withstand a Big Bang with only a broken arm isn't that amazing in itself. Ubogin wasn't surprised that Kurapika could tank his damage, and honestly if he didn't pull a 'never heard of Gyo' level of mistake, it's unlikely he'd have given enough time for Kurapika to heal his arm in mid fight, and then he'd have a rather significant advantage since Kurapika will be down to one arm. Even though I do believe in "Reinforcement always wins", that doesn't mean a single hit from a Reinforcement user is supposed to blow up the opponent. If you disable someone's arm in one good hit, that's more than enough to win in the long run assuming you make no unusual mistake.

  6. #65
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    In this case I believe Togashi made the mistake but it's only natural since it was a developing system.

    We have Machi who re-attached an arm. And Biscuit can deal with exhaustion so I BELIEVE (Notice that i'm just speculating) that it could have other healing abilities. In the other hand, we don't have known any Nen user focused on healing.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  7. #66
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    In this case I believe Togashi made the mistake but it's only natural since it was a developing system.

    We have Machi who re-attached an arm. And Biscuit can deal with exhaustion so I BELIEVE (Notice that i'm just speculating) that it could have other healing abilities. In the other hand, we don't have known any Nen user focused on healing.
    Machi warned Hisoka to not get involved in vigorous exercise so there's no way his reattached arm is usable in mid combat even if you somehow were able to call a time out to reattach your arm. It's actually pretty bogus that Hisoka was able to hurt Kastro at all after both of his arms were separated since there's no way he can exert significant force on an arm that's basically just duct-taped together. That is, Kastro should've immediately noticed that Hisoka's punches were doing basically no damage because he can't apply force to them in that state, and easily see through the trick.

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #67
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I notice HXH has a tendency of getting people to think breaking an arm is no big deal. Although it's not as bad as breaking an arm in real life, in HXH only two characters can recover from this kind of damage in midfight, namely Pitou and Kurapika. All other characters would definiately have the usage of that arm out for the remainder of the battle. The come back from behind cases where a guy has a broken arm more or less require extremely good tactics plus the opponent being dumb. So the fact that Kurapika can withstand a Big Bang with only a broken arm isn't that amazing in itself. Ubogin wasn't surprised that Kurapika could tank his damage, and honestly if he didn't pull a 'never heard of Gyo' level of mistake, it's unlikely he'd have given enough time for Kurapika to heal his arm in mid fight, and then he'd have a rather significant advantage since Kurapika will be down to one arm. Even though I do believe in "Reinforcement always wins", that doesn't mean a single hit from a Reinforcement user is supposed to blow up the opponent. If you disable someone's arm in one good hit, that's more than enough to win in the long run assuming you make no unusual mistake.
    Single hit of Reinforcement isn't the same as a Hatsu Ko punch of a Reinforcement user. Remember, Ubo was surprised his 20% regular punch didn't break Kurapika's arm, that's when he noticed he's tougher than it appears he should be. He then used a 100% Big Bang Impact punch, which should be several times stronger, but it didn't surprise him that he didn't rip his arm off because he saw how strong Kurapika was. The only way the defense could work is if Kurapika used Ko on his arm, even though it's extremely risky, that's the only way the fight can make any sense, in my opinion.

  10. #68
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    Also, Uvo attacks were easily predictable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Machi warned Hisoka to not get involved in vigorous exercise so there's no way his reattached arm is usable in mid combat even if you somehow were able to call a time out to reattach your arm. It's actually pretty bogus that Hisoka was able to hurt Kastro at all after both of his arms were separated since there's no way he can exert significant force on an arm that's basically just duct-taped together. That is, Kastro should've immediately noticed that Hisoka's punches were doing basically no damage because he can't apply force to them in that state, and easily see through the trick.
    Yes, yes.
    Another thing why Kastro sucks.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  11. #69
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post
    Single hit of Reinforcement isn't the same as a Hatsu Ko punch of a Reinforcement user. Remember, Ubo was surprised his 20% regular punch didn't break Kurapika's arm, that's when he noticed he's tougher than it appears he should be. He then used a 100% Big Bang Impact punch, which should be several times stronger, but it didn't surprise him that he didn't rip his arm off because he saw how strong Kurapika was. The only way the defense could work is if Kurapika used Ko on his arm, even though it's extremely risky, that's the only way the fight can make any sense, in my opinion.
    Until Kurapika revealed his power Ubogin was never sure what type of user Kurapika is. This suggests it is not impossible for someone that isn't Reinforcement to Guard against his Big Bang, and I do use the word 'Guard' very loosely here. If Ubogin didn't make the newbie mistake of not using Gyo against an opponent whose power he is obviously unsure, he'd still be in a commanding position even if Kurapika was able to heal his arm (and most likely he can't, because it's not like Ubogin will just watch him heal himself).

    I think people really underestimate how damage done by Reinforcement users put them in a commanding position due to the numerous 'came back from an arm behind' victories. Kurapika is roughly equivlaent of an Emission in terms of Reinforcement strength (lower base, but Emperor Time boosts it) so we'll say his overall strength is roughly like Franklin or Hisoka. Say Ubogin's power output is roughly equal of Ko, and an opponent with Hisoka/Franklin level of overall strength defended with Ken (remember, defend Ko with Ko is way too risky) and broke an arm. Who has the upper hand? It's not game over but that guy better have a really awesome comeback. The only reason Kastro and Ubogin lost while being 'an arm up' is because they're dumb to the level of 'too dumb to live'. How is someone like Ubogin who clearly must have fought many fights to the death don't even realize he's supposed to keep Gyo up on his eyes against a guy who he obviously has no idea what his abilities are? And connecting one hit to put you up in a serious advantage against an enemy with Hisoka level of skill is pretty advantageous. Remember, Kastro only connected 2 strong hits, and the first one took Hisoka's arm and it's not clear if he could've avoided this one. Just because Kastro somehow lost while being 2 arms ahead doesn't mean a normal person is supposed to do the same.

    The reason why Reinforcement is strong and don't even need real Hatsus is that just connecting a Ko usually does significant damage, and as long as you don't make a terrible mistake, you can easily ride the advantage of being an arm up to victory even against guys with very special abilities. And if someone's special ability is so good that they can overcome being an arm down while you making no mistakes, then that just means you ran into some kind of Emperor Time level of hax abilities and anybody would be pretty screwed there.

  12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #70
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MegamanX195's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    Let's say Ubo fought another Ubo. U1 uses Big Bang Impact, while U2 defends with regular Ken-powered arm. If the damage is anything short of a broken arm, U1 put himself at a huge risk for minimal gain, which defeats the entire purpose of a Ko-like attack. Ko is supposed to be a very powerful attack that has serious drawbacks, mainly that being you make a mistake and you're dead. You can't simply go "lol I died, oh well" and have another shot, you die and that's it. That's why it should be seldom used. Besides, that's also not counting that BBI > Ko, which from what I've read from your posts you don't believe is true. Correct me if I'm mistaken on the last point.

    Back to Kurapika, he is inferior to Ubo in every way: aura-wise, physically (specially so), etc. The only reason he can keep up with Ubo (or any other Spider) is because of direct implied power boost against Spiders, Scarlet eyes boosting every physical attribute AND aura size significantly, and of course Emperor Time's properties. Even so, he's inferior. His attacks do 0 damage against 50% Ubo. Ubo's 100% BBI should be absolutely overkill, for all the reasons stated above. Kurapika is NOT Ubo's equal.

    Actually, after re-reading the story I'm not confused by this anymore. It's somewhat hand-waved as Kurapika's arm being totally destroyed instead of just broken, Ubo wasn't at perfect conditions, and so on.

    Also, on Ubo's "clumsiness", I don't think Ubo made a noob mistake, Kurapika just made use of some clever, simple thinking that no experienced Nen-user would expect. It's the classic "expert falling for simple tactics", which is seen time and time again, simply because it's something so simple that one often forgets of it. Besides, there was no cue to use Gyo. By the time he used Gyo (if you believe Kurapika had him in the chains for a while), Kurapika could have "activated" Chain Jail any time he wanted and the fight would be over anyway.

    I admire the way you analyze HxH's world, Phantron. I just usually disagree with it because nothing in HxH's world is ever set in stone, and you see everything too "cleanly cut", where each and every situation has an obvious outcome every time, which goes against the entire point of much of HxH, specially so when it's Nen-related, by occasionally reading too much into some lines and not enough in others. I probably won't respond to your next post unless I'm able to fit my answer in a few lines or I feel like there's something I absolutely, but you can be sure I'll enjoy reading it.

  14. #71
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How did Kurapika tank Uvogin's Big Bang Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by MegamanX195 View Post
    Let's say Ubo fought another Ubo. U1 uses Big Bang Impact, while U2 defends with regular Ken-powered arm. If the damage is anything short of a broken arm, U1 put himself at a huge risk for minimal gain, which defeats the entire purpose of a Ko-like attack. Ko is supposed to be a very powerful attack that has serious drawbacks, mainly that being you make a mistake and you're dead. You can't simply go "lol I died, oh well" and have another shot, you die and that's it. That's why it should be seldom used. Besides, that's also not counting that BBI > Ko, which from what I've read from your posts you don't believe is true. Correct me if I'm mistaken on the last point.

    Back to Kurapika, he is inferior to Ubo in every way: aura-wise, physically (specially so), etc. The only reason he can keep up with Ubo (or any other Spider) is because of direct implied power boost against Spiders, Scarlet eyes boosting every physical attribute AND aura size significantly, and of course Emperor Time's properties. Even so, he's inferior. His attacks do 0 damage against 50% Ubo. Ubo's 100% BBI should be absolutely overkill, for all the reasons stated above. Kurapika is NOT Ubo's equal.

    Actually, after re-reading the story I'm not confused by this anymore. It's somewhat hand-waved as Kurapika's arm being totally destroyed instead of just broken, Ubo wasn't at perfect conditions, and so on.

    Also, on Ubo's "clumsiness", I don't think Ubo made a noob mistake, Kurapika just made use of some clever, simple thinking that no experienced Nen-user would expect. It's the classic "expert falling for simple tactics", which is seen time and time again, simply because it's something so simple that one often forgets of it. Besides, there was no cue to use Gyo. By the time he used Gyo (if you believe Kurapika had him in the chains for a while), Kurapika could have "activated" Chain Jail any time he wanted and the fight would be over anyway.

    I admire the way you analyze HxH's world, Phantron. I just usually disagree with it because nothing in HxH's world is ever set in stone, and you see everything too "cleanly cut", where each and every situation has an obvious outcome every time, which goes against the entire point of much of HxH, specially so when it's Nen-related, by occasionally reading too much into some lines and not enough in others. I probably won't respond to your next post unless I'm able to fit my answer in a few lines or I feel like there's something I absolutely, but you can be sure I'll enjoy reading it.
    The whole 'nothing is clear cut' is just a convenient excuse that fans and Togashi himself uses when his stuff stops making sense. It's funny because Killua criticized this in the manga himself, saying that '1% chance to win is not good odds'. Basically Togashi wants you to believe that odds don't really matter but if having 99% chance to win on paper doesn't mean anything then why even discussing the fights at all? The guy with 99% chance to win should win 99% of the time. You can't assume he's going to be extra dumb or the weaker guy is going to be extra lucky or that he's due for a Togashi bailout.

    If UboA fought UboB, and UboA attacked with Big Bang, if UboB sees it coming he'd just pound the ground for sharpnel and killing UboA instantly because he's in a near-Ko state and cannot possibly guard against a wide area attack. If UboB does not see Ubo A's Big Bang on time he'd be forced to take Big Bang with Ken (we'll assume Ubogin isn't as crazy as Gon) which will do significant but not enough damage to say break an arm (because he's just as strong as UboA). The reason why you can't constantly attack with Ko is that one of these days the other guy will see it coming and just do a ranged area effect attack and thus killing you instantly (you can't guard against such attacks even if they're weak because you're using Ko). Note that Ubogin hid his aura and sneaked up on Kurapika before using Big Bang. He has to because Kurapika obviously can do ranged attacks. Of course Ko-level output has significant risk, but crippling someone's arm is more than enough to secure a victory assuming no huge mistake was made by the Reinforcement user, so it's a good risk to take, and as far as we know Reinforcement Ko on any non Reinforcement user will generally lead to a crippling hit.

    The baseline stats of HXH characters are nearly identical. Kurapika fought Hisoka to a draw in the final exam and there's no reason to believe Hisoka purposely held back. Sure he didn't use aura but Kurapika can't even use aura so it's still an even fight. Gon snapped Ilumi's arm when he was angry in the same exam. For whatever reason Kurapika's physical strength can be considered on par with top fighters of HXH world, and any lack of training on the aura department is made up his heritage giving him vastly greater aura abilities than any normal people could.

    The 'fall for simple tactic' doesn't apply here. If you don't know how to deal with In you're literally too dumb to live in the world of HXH if you're at all involved in combat. Of course from that we get the conclusion that at least 3 members of the Spiders are too dumb to live (Machi and Shizuku needed to be reminded by Kuroro to use Gyo). I mean if In works on Chain Jail, it should definitely also work on say, Franklin's Aura Machinegun, so if you don't use Gyo you'd just get shot by stuff you can't even see and die when fighting an Emission user. I think early on Togashi want to make the Gyo versus In a big deal, but eventually realized that anyone who would fall for In would just be too dumb to live which is why you don't see In used ever again. How do you know when to use Gyo? The answer is always. For example we see that Hisoka raised his hand toward Kastro and used the bungee gum on his chin, and hid the aura with In and that's supposed to be clever. But what if Hisoka was an Emission user and threw an aura blast at Kastro's face while still using In? Since Kastro didn't activate Gyo, that'd mean he'd just have his face blown off and die because he won't see the aura blast either, and that sure is a lot more effective than whatever clever trick Hisoka did. So how on earth does anyone survive past their first encounter with anybody who can do a decent Emission attack if they didn't know to keep Gyo on at all times?
    Last edited by Phantron; August 06, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

  15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts