Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Japanese Street Fashion

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese Street Fashion

Japanese Street Fashion

From Wikipedia
    Quote Quote:
    Japan began to emulate Western fashion during the middle of the 19th century. By the beginning of the 21st century it had altered into what is known today as 'street fashion'. The term 'street fashion' is used to describe fashion where the wearer customizes outfits by adopting a mixture of current and traditional trends. Such clothes are generally home-made with the use of material purchased at stores.

At present there are many styles of dress in Japan, created from a mix of both local and foreign labels. Some of these styles are extreme and avant-garde, similar to the haute couture seen on European catwalks. The rise and fall of many of these trends has been chronicled by Shoichi Aoki since 1997 in the fashion magazine FRUiTS, which is a notable magazine for the promotion of street fashion in Japan.

More recently, Japanese hip-hop, which has long been present among underground Tokyo's club scene, has influenced the mainstream fashion industry. The popularity of the music is so influential that Tokyo's youth are imitating their favorite hip hop stars from the way they dress with over-sized clothes to darkening their skin with ultraviolet rays, usually done by tanning. Many Japanese youth believe that tanning or being darker is a freedom of expression they are unable to experience in their circumscribed social role as 'Japanese'. The idea of darkening one's skin to more closely resemble an American hip-hop star or ethnic group may seem like a fad, but this subculture, the black facers, do not particularly set themselves apart from many other sub cultures that have emerged as a result of hip hop.

Modern Japanese street fashion
    Though the styles have changed over the years, street fashion is still prominent in Japan today. Young adults can often be found wearing subculture attire in large urban fashion districts such as Harajuku, Ginza, Odaiba, Shinjuku and Shibuya.

Lolita
    Containing many different styles and themes within its boundaries, Lolita has become one of the larger, more recognizable styles in Japanese street fashion. Now gaining interest worldwide, Lolita is seen as one of the many different styles that brings the "cute" in Japan. The more well-known styles within Lolita fashion are as follows:

• Gothic Lolita - is Lolita with a heavy influence from the Eastern and Victorian Goth style. Often characterized by dark colors, crosses, bats and spiders, as well as other popular gothic 'icons'. Victorian iron gates and architectural designs are also often seen in dress prints. Skirts are usually worn knee length with petticoats beneath for volume. Blouses or shirts are lace-trimmed or ruffled in the Victorian style. Knee length socks with boots, bonnets, brooches, and a parasol finish out this style of Lolita.

• Sweet Lolita - is the most childlike style, mostly characterized by baby animals, fairy tale themes and innocent, childlike attire. It is inspired by baby dolls and Hello Kitty, and is popular among the SweetLolis. Pastel colors are used, as well as other muted colors like black and dark reds and blues. Large headbows, cute purses, elegant parasols and stuffed animals are popular accessories for Sweet Lolita.

• Punk Lolita - An experimental style, mixing the influences of Punk with Lolita. It can sometimes look deconstructed or crazy, while keeping most of the 'Lolita silhouette'.

• Classic Lolita is very traditional. It is very mature, and business-like and focuses on light colors such as, blue, green, and red.

Ganguro
    The Ganguro street fashion became popular among Japanese girls in the early 2000s. A typical look for a "Ganguro Gal" is to wear brightly colored outfits, mini-skirts, and tie-dyed sarongs. The Ganguro style consists of bleached hair, a dark tan, fake eyelashes, black and white eyeliner, bracelets, earrings, rings, necklaces and platform shoes.

Kogal
    The kogal (kogyaru) look is based on a high school uniform, but with a shorter skirt, loose socks and often other modifications as well. The girls call themselves gyaru (gals). This style was prominent in the 1990s, but has since declined.

Bōsōzoku
    While bōsōzoku fashion has not been popular since the 1990s, the stereotypical bōsōzoku look is often portrayed, and even caricatured, in many forms of Japanese media such as anime, manga and films. The typical bōsōzoku member is often depicted in a uniform consisting of a jumpsuit like those worn by manual laborers or a tokko-fuku (特攻服), a type of military issued over-coat with kanji slogans. These are usually worn open, with no shirt underneath, showing off bandaged torsos and matching baggy pants tucked inside tall boots.

Visual Kei
    The style of Visual Kei consists of striking makeup, unusual hair styles and flamboyant costuming. Androgyny is a popular aspect of the style visually, especially within the entertainment field. Some of the more well-known and influential artist groups include X Japan, Malice Mizer and Dir En Grey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a thread to share and discuss about everything and anything related to Japanese Street Fashion; news, trends, stores, designers, models, etc. let’s talk about the J-Fashion World!

Here’s my first contribution to this thread ^_^:

Miura Haruma walks the runway for “KOBE Collection 2010 A/W”
    by Shiso

The “KOBE Collection 2010 AUTUMN/WINTER” fashion show was held on the 5th in Tokyo, and Miura Haruma showed up as special secret guest! This is the first time Haruma has ever attended this show, much less show up to walk the runway.

When Haruma showed up, the audience gave him the loudest cheers of the day, and he answered the audience with a big smile and a waving hand.

Other than Haruma, Takagaki Reiko, Marie, Yoshikawa Hinano, Kumada Yoko, and Fujimoto Miki also appeared as secret guests, and some artists, such as Kato Miliyah and Uemura Kana performed on the stage.

The “KOBE Collection 2010 AUTUMN/WINTER” was also held in Kobe last month, and the total number in attendance for both Kobe and Tokyo was 16,526.

Check out all the photos of the collection here!

Source: Oricon Style

Tokyo Girls Collection 2010 A/W – Fashion Brands

ShareOn Saturday, September 4th, the 11th Tokyo Girls Collection swept into the Saitama Super Arena.

Tokyo Girls Collection is a fashion event held semi-annually in the Tokyo area. Many of the hottest Japanese brands (along with a few international brands) show their collections alongside musical performances, charity auctions, and other fashion-related fun. TGC is famous for selling out all of its tickets far in advance, and approximately 30,000 fashion-hungry young Japanese women attended this edition of the event.

TGC organizers explain that their focus is on Japanese streetwear and “real clothes” rather than just “the ‘clothes as works of art’ format of conventional catwalk shows” – showcasing trends aimed not only at fashionistas, but also at the average Japanese young woman in her twenties and early thirties. Japanese celebrities and popular magazine trendsetters model the latest fashions from dozens of popular J-fashion brands, while attendees instantly buy the clothes via mobile phone. Some of the models at the event included Anna Tsuchiya, Maiko Takahashi, Riena, Karina, Rika Izumi, Kinoshita Yukina, Mai Miyagi, Sasaki Nozomi, Hasegawa Jun, Marie, Yamada Yu, Haruna Ai, Tsubasa Masuwaka, Fujimoto Miki, Yasuda Misako, and Wakatsuki Chinatsu.

This time around, the Highlight Stage featured the debut of the fashion brands AG by Aquagirl and Lovedrose. The main event included brands well-known to any girl who spends time shopping in Tokyo: Another Edition, Apuweiser-riche, BEAMS, blondy, CECIL McBEE, FREE’S MART, Heather, kitson, L’EST ROSE, LIZ LISA, MAISON GILFY, MERCURYDUO, muse muse by ROYAL PARTY, mystic, Smork, snidel, TOPSHOP, wc, 31 Sons de mode, and +Rich.

^ After looking at the pics of that fashion event, I must say I would buy a few pieces from that collection right away. The clothes were very cute, fun, interesting and they were focused not just on one style and one type of girl, there was a little something for every kind of girl.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; September 13, 2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Japanese Street Fashion

I bought two issues of popteen taiwanese edition at Hong Kong.

Oh my...the clothes are beautiful in the magazine. The make up tips are interesting, Japanese girls do indeed wear alot of make up. Those 'make your eyes look like dolly eyes' contacts are scary...and the amount of fake flashes...

I went to Liz Liza in Hong Kong, all I can say is EXPENSIVE. Despite it's averaged priced for Japanese standard. $100 for a frikkin skirt (in USD).

Oh just a tip to everyone. H&M has a fair amount of Japanese fashion nowadays since they're fairly popular in Japan, they ship some of the Japanese stock to other countries too. I managed to get a bunny ears headband (it's a piece of metal wire within a long piece of cloth) from H&M for £2. There was tons of those pannier styled skirts too.

I wanted a totally girly sigature...

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Certain Japanese brands can be expensive so hopefully the quality makes up for the price. There are still brands that are pretty cheap. I'll have to search for them to remember their names. :P

Popteen is a gyaru-magazine so the make-up, although interesting, is not really practical. XD

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The make up in Popteen is interesting...I'm sure you can tone down the make up.

One of the issues I got my hands on was about man made double eyelid. Let's just say I've been converted to use double eyelid glue (it's no where as scary as it looks), now I wear it everytime I get out of the house (minus going to my friend's house up the road). I can't believe I'm scared of the rain ruining my fake double eyelid...It doesn't help in the UK where it just randomly rains even if the morning had lovely sunshine. Now I have no idea whether I should use my double eye lid tape or glue...

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii
    Certain Japanese brands can be expensive so hopefully the quality makes up for the price.
    The quality is definitely better then chinese made ripoffs. But the difference between the pricing isn't worth it honestly. I could get good quality clothes from M&S for about 1/3 of the price of an average Japanese brand. Well...if you buy clothes in the children section of M&S. Age 12 fits me better then adult sizes @_@.

But sometimes Japanese designs are just too adorable. My friend bought this Japanese brand leg warmer...it's the most adorable/cute/moe/whatever legwarmer I have seen.

I'm hoping to get something from Hyperjapan, they're having a store for Baby the Star shines bright (Sweet Lolita brand). Hopefully I can a pair of socks or something....

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't mind my series of questions: How long does the process of double-eyelid glue take you? Do you feel anything afterwards? Are there any difference in appearance between the glue and tape? We would love to hear your first-hand account.

Two of the cheaper brands I remember are jampixy and indio. I linked to their homepage so it should give some idea about what kind of clothes they feature. In terms of style, I find indio to be similar to CECIL MCBEE.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Don't mind my series of questions: How long does the process of double-eyelid glue take you? Do you feel anything afterwards? Are there any difference in appearance between the glue and tape? We would love to hear your first-hand account.

Two of the cheaper brands I remember are jampixy and indio. I linked to their homepage so it should give some idea about what kind of clothes they feature. In terms of style, I find indio to be similar to CECIL MCBEE.
    As for the double eyelid glue, you just use the 'y fork' they included with the bottle to poke your eyelid lightly to get where you want the double eyelid line to be. Use the brush and add the glue to your eyelid, make sure you don't use too much. Wait 5-10 secs for the glue to semi-dry and poke your eyelid again. Takes about 20 seconds per eye. It's quick easy and clean. You just apply water to get rid of it.

At the start, about for a minute or two your eyes would feel slightly uncomfortable. Since your eyelid is glued, the time when your eyes are closed when you're blinking is shorter. So your eyes feels dry, but after a while the glue loosens up a little then you can blink perfect (but the eyelid looks perfectly fine). You cannot notice it. I actually got the glue on while typing this, I've worn my eyelid glue for about 12 hours now. Looks perfect. The tape would have got slightly moised now and looks terrible.

Glue is less noticable then tape. Tape is not perfect, you can always see the ends of it. Also, glue actually makes your eyes look larger then tape. Since the eyelid is pulled up. Also, due to the nature of my eyes, with tape I can only make a semi doublelid and with glue a full double eyelid. Semi doublelid is just a word I made up, it's where the doublelid goes from the corner of your eye while a full double eyelid is on top of your whole eye. If that makes sense, sorry for my terrible examples.

Just remember with the glue, wash it off lightly. Or else your eyes will get wrinkles quicker. It's a Japanese product, I'm *quite* sure it's safe.

My friend today just used lash glue to make a double eyelid, it is a great idea and it's waterproof. Didn't look as good as real double eyelid glue, but it'll fool the boys.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the explanation, LilaChan! <3 Based on the two photos, my eye is probably like the second one so I probably don't need the glue/tape. Your post is a really great reference regardless, and I'll definitely link it to anyone who might be interested. (If you don't mind of course!)

When I was younger, I collected various issues of SEVENTEEN. (It's unaffiliated with the American Seventeen magazine.) I really enjoyed it but by the time I got into college, I felt that I was ready to move on since it was targeted towards middle to high school students. I wasn't going to give up discovering Japanese trends so I moved on to ViVi.

I am absolutely in love with the fashion. Based on personal style, I'm inspired by the outfits Hasegawa Jun wears. (Sadly she left the magazine; I need my style icon!) She has a cool, boyish look so the stylist puts her in the clothes that fit her very well, and I like it! They're all something I would wear too.

Nearly all of the models are mixed, which emphasizes the magazine's influence from Western trendsetters such as Paris Hilton and Agyness Deyn. Although I don't have access to the brands that are featured, I love how I can find similar styles and clothes in my corner of Canada. The price range is obviously more expensive than SEVENTEEN since its demographic is older (university students to young OLs). The popular brands I've seen throughout are INGNI, EGOIST, MURUA, blondy, and ROSE BUD.

One problem is that there can be too much going on in one page. It's not bad when I'm simply flipping through, but if I'm looking at each page carefully, it can get tiresome for the eyes. Nevertheless, I really enjoy reading ViVi. Japanese trends can get old very quickly, but the issues I have from a year ago is still applicable right now.

(I've developed a girl crush on Jun so I'll probably saunter off to the magazine she's working with now. XD)

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to LunaNeko for the link!

Because anime is influenced by Japanese Street Fashion and vice-versa, Japanese Street Fashion is influenced by anime; here’s a link with the official shiki gothic lolita outfits:

http://www.laforet.ne.jp/harajuku/sp...iki/index.html

I must admit that there are a couple of pieces from that ^ collection that I would like to add to my wardrobe (pieces = algonquins & altelier-pierrot).
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you've really done your homework. I've always been interested in learning more about Japan. Thank you!

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Umm, I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to Japanese Street Fashion so I'll just ask here. Does anyone here have a wider knowledge of Japanese Men's Streetwear and/or where I can find stores who can ship to Europe? I'm not interested in particular style that stands out but perhaps a bit towards the "urban streetwear"...
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You should look for American urban clothing websites, they usually stock Japanese Urban brands too. In most cases, you'll find that the majority of urban brands are from America but design, produce and only supply the Japanese market with "custom", "one off" and rare editions and ranges. The problem is barely any major international clothing websites stock the same kind of clothes/ranges; which is ashame.

There are three websites I've found that I believe are pretty cool:

- http://www.osakanines.com/
    - http://www.shigotofashion.com/
    - http://www.angiehearts.net/

Blai, you should definitely check out the first website link. Osaka Nines may not post much material on a regular basis but when they do....it's awesome!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really inspired by the mori girl style. The simplicity really appeals to me, and the clothes all look really comfortable! I also like its sister: yama girl.

When I have money I like to get something from axes femme. I heard its clothes were otome-kei with a hint of lolita.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone uses Tumblr like I do, I suggest the following blogs for your viewing pleasure :

http://fuckyeahjapanfashion.tumblr.com/

http://harajuju.tumblr.com/

http://f-a-s-s-h-o-n.tumblr.com/

There are all sorts of outfits ranging from various styles so hopefully you can find inspiration.

New Reply