Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gon is Delusional

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gon is Delusional

'Delusional'? why this choice of word really? 'Delusion' means false belief, not affected by culture, not changable through clear logic. So what is the false belief that gon harbors? I can't think of any.

About gon being insane/crazy, sure he is not normal. But that doesn't make him twisted or anything...he's excited by battle, he likes to take challenges...but not to an unheathy extent...like in case of Hisoka.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    I don't think Killua's psyche is normal either. He kills without batting an eye. That's not normal for a 12 year old.
    Fabela kids would argue that. But considering that He was thought that since kid, He has a real perspective about death. Ok, I understand your point. But it's not exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Killua, with ALL his circumstances, is able to make FAIR and SANE judgement in THE WHOLE series.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Noonealive View Post
    Wow, really nice analysis. From seeing this.. Gon isn't Black and White he's definitely a thousands shades of gray. It must have taken you a great deal of time. I really much appreciate your post. Most people don't realize all these subtleties which actually does a lot on how the character is developed. Theres a lot to digest in HxH so most things can get overlooked. I honestly read through HxH so fast that i didn't seem to recognize most of these attributes. Which i'm at fault because i am an impatient guy when it comes to great manga's such as HxH. Thx again for your post!! =]
    Thank you for reading my post. I really appreciate it, that was really tough for me to write it down since English isn't my mother tongue.

Hunter X Hunter is full of that, I think, I noticed it for the first time, when Kurapica was about to exchange Kuroro for Gon and Killua. But I became later aware of their complexities, when the King questioned his own existence. That's where I started to think how complex characters like himself, Gon, Killua, Kurapica and the other characters such as Morau, Shoot and Knuckle are. But Togashi took it on another level with Pariston and Ging. He outdid himself with these two.

Credits:Shinsatsu

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon and Hisoka are basically the same. They take chances for no obvious gains whatsoever. What if after Hisoka lost his second arm against Kastro, Kastro just said, "You can't fool me! Arms don't regrow themselves!" and just fought calmly? How does Hisoka defeat an calm Reinforcement user with NO arms? His trap didn't require him losing his second arm, as Machi pointed out. It's not done for strategic value.

That said Gon's apparent boldness is usually a bit more thought out than Hisoka, who literally takes risks merely for the sake of amusement. This is reflected in the dialogue after they escaped from Pitou. Killua said they need to become stronger, and figure out Pitou's ability to form a plan. Gon said he agrees with the first part, but he doesn't care about learning Pitou's ability. Killua said all that does is increase the risk, and Gon replied it's natural to have no idea what your enemy's ability is. In the fight against Gensuru, presumably it was Killua's plan to use the gasoline/rock and the trap. That means they have to dig a hole first (take time), and they also took advantage of the unique characteristic of GI to summon the props they need on demand. I've yet to see anybody with a power that'd allow you to get a tank of gasoline to pour it on your opponent on demand in any place outside of GI. So while Killua has a good plan, it needs very specific props and conditions to pull.

Gon's plan, however, is something you can do with no preparation. It might have worked too. If he ran into Gensuru outside of GI, that reckless plan is a lot better than Killua's plan, because you can't conjure a tank of gasoline outside of GI. Sure, he's still crazy, but there's actually a reason to his craziness.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon's a reinforcement user, ie he's got a candid and stable character.
    Hisoka is manipulative and deceiptive.

They both love adversity and uncertainty to test themselves, but their beliefs are very different. Well, Gon's not a serial killer.

Common traits: fighting is a game, testing oneself is fun in itself, they love risks.

Differences: motivations are different. Of course transcending himself is a pleasure, but Gon snaps due to his stubborness, his goals are quests. It involves leaps of faith, sacrifices (arm, nen) his reaction to kaito being dead is almost religious in nature (he gives up on everything, 'gives himself' to the obsession of killing this 'angel of death' that is Pitou. His ideals are more important than himself. His insanity comes from that self abandon to his cause, whatever the consequences.

Hisoka's goals are amusement and testing himself, apparently (if he doesn't have other goals, since we actually don't know much about him). But we're pretty sure he's too selfish to be a fanatic. He's ready to give up on two arms, maybe because he wants to add uncertainty to a fight where he knows he's stronger (in the york shin ark, togashi explains his behaviour with 'he's understood he's the strongest')

In a word they are pretty different, in my humble opinion.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2