Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Hawk scanlations Recieves DMCA notice

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red Hawk scanlations Recieves DMCA notice

Shueisha co-owns VIZ, they are junior partner though. Shogakukan founded VIZ, Shueisha became a partner in 2002 or so. The promotional work they wanted done for Shounen Jump (including the magazine) was so expensive it made more sense to sell them half the company. While they are equal partners, Shogakukan is the more dominant of the two. The CEO of Shogakukan and President of VIZ are apparently friends from college. Because Weekly Jump is so popular it is easy to forget that Shogakukan is a larger publisher than Shueisha. Kodansha is the largest Japanese publisher at the moment, Shogakukan is a close second.

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Shueisha co-owns VIZ, they are junior partner though. Shogakukan founded VIZ, Shueisha became a partner in 2002 or so. The promotional work they wanted done for Shounen Jump (including the magazine) was so expensive it made more sense to sell them half the company. While they are equal partners, Shogakukan is the more dominant of the two. The CEO of Shogakukan and President of VIZ are apparently friends from college. Because Weekly Jump is so popular it is easy to forget that Shogakukan is a larger publisher than Shueisha. Kodansha is the largest Japanese publisher at the moment, Shogakukan is a close second.
    Well that's something new I just learned. I thought Viz was just an independent American based publisher.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Wow. Gotta hand it to Viz....like 'em or leave 'em, they're on a vendetta. Though does this mean a Beelze license is in the air? Or are they just acting in interest of Shuiesha? Though I wouldn't want them to get Beelze since there's a good chance it'll get dropped at volume 23.....(If it doesn't end by then.) Or volumes 8, 9, 14 and 19 will be unavailble after I actually decide I want to buy them. *sigh* Nice to see that Red hawk isn't going to drop it, cause I like their translations of the series when I do occasionally read them.
    You follow Beelzebub's translations? :O

I really do wonder about Beelzebub getting licensed. And as for Viz cancelling Gintama...its just plain unfortunate. Their translations were actually good, too! I'm not sure how much localization went on, but it was great while it lasted.

Then again, I wonder how well comedy manga sell in the U.S. anyway. Its like they expect it to be an unfunny TV sitcom, perfect for American audiences right out of the bat. Maybe if they market it like Teen Mom, it'll sell?

As for scanlations, I can't help but agree with Kaiten. I could live without online manga readers. Though I wonder if IRC channels are immune from Cease&Desist threats.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    You follow Beelzebub's translations? :O

I really do wonder about Beelzebub getting licensed. And as for Viz cancelling Gintama...its just plain unfortunate. Their translations were actually good, too! I'm not sure how much localization went on, but it was great while it lasted.

Then again, I wonder how well comedy manga sell in the U.S. anyway. Its like they expect it to be an unfunny TV sitcom, perfect for American audiences right out of the bat. Maybe if they market it like Teen Mom, it'll sell?

As for scanlations, I can't help but agree with Kaiten. I could live without online manga readers. Though I wonder if IRC channels are immune from Cease&Desist threats.
    I do follow Beelze's translations....shadow skill does a nice job of localizing them to maximize comedic value. Or in laymans terms, he makes them funnier. I actually prefer when a translator manages to stay true to the script but put a bit of himself (or herself) in the script. I don't have anything against straight translations with no additions or subtractions, but I prefer localization.

Yeah, I mean online readers are great for testing out whether something is good or bad, but they've become far too commonplace. I've said it many times now, but Viz is fighting a war on convinence. They know they'd never win if they took on scantlation as a whole, but if they can set fire to a few of the sites offering their biggest products they can at least recoup the effort it took to launch SJA. Not that....I'll be using it.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

They're both still part of the Hitotsubashi Group (along with Shodensha and Hakusensha), and Shueisha was founded by Shogakukan. So while they operate mostly independently, they still have interlocking business relationships and shareholders. This only makes them both owning Viz more obvious.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shueisha was founded specifically to publish magazines, it is hardly surprising that they publish the most popular manga magazine. Hakusensha is also part of the Hitotsubashi Group and founded by Shueisha.

Muda Scantrad has dropped Rosaria to Vampire Season II: http://mudascantradreleases.blogspot...ouncement.html. This appears to be a voluntary move done to avoid receiving a cease and desist order.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Shueisha was founded specifically to publish magazines, it is hardly surprising that they publish the most popular manga magazine. Hakusensha is also part of the Hitotsubashi Group and founded by Shueisha.
    Yeah, as well as Shodensha

Shogakukan actually started entertainment magazines because of Shueisha, and that's when they became rivals prior to them being grouped together.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

\

I don't think redhawk is going to stop scanlating all together but its likely the reader will cease to exist.

I never really went through the old ways, all the exposure I got from manga was from the readers. Surely everything back to IRC might be good but
    manga popularity might drop(on the net anyway) . With mangastream down, I think the day when mf and mr gets take down is sooner than we think.
    Only problem with Alpha is that it is in the US only + huge time lag , other than that I would really support it.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't see a point why mf and mr should be put down, which would be the case if they were registed in the us or europe. but with acta coming up it isn't important which the resident of the provider is anymore, so let's hope the us congress don't do something stupid, which would be hated by the people.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like ACTA is going to collapse anyway, so that hardly matters. Germany has refused to ratify the bill, along with Poland, Bulgaria, and the Netherlands (as of the most recent article I read). Without German support the bill is basically dead in the water.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    \

I don't think redhawk is going to stop scanlating all together but its likely the reader will cease to exist.

I never really went through the old ways, all the exposure I got from manga was from the readers. Surely everything back to IRC might be good but
    manga popularity might drop(on the net anyway) . With mangastream down, I think the day when mf and mr gets take down is sooner than we think.
    Only problem with Alpha is that it is in the US only + huge time lag , other than that I would really support it.
    They are still posting new chapters to Batoto. No more files on their server, which hopefully means that VIZ can not file suit.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing against that, but do you really think germans vote is that important against other "giants" like french, britain and the whole usa? besides germany has something against the current acta, not against the thought in generally. it's a wonder that our goverment is currently against acta, something i didn't thought that it would happen at all.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The US has already passed ACTA, we are out of the equation. Not all European Union states have ratified the treaty yet, which means that the treaty can not be presented to the European Parliament and Council. With so many countries stopping the process of ratification it appears that Europe will not take part in the treaty, essentially rendering it dead. Germany is the most powerful state in the EU, as can be seen in the Greece bailout crisis, Germany can to some degree dictate policy course in Europe.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Germany is the most powerful state in the EU, as can be seen in the Greece bailout crisis, Germany can to some degree dictate policy course in Europe.
    Germany is now the powerful state in the EU, but with the greece bailout can a powerfullness very difficult.

Anyway, ACTA is a little good thing, but the details is very fuzzy/unclear.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Germany is the most powerful state in the EU, as can be seen in the Greece bailout crisis, Germany can to some degree dictate policy course in Europe.
    That's something you can't compare that easily. Great Britain doesn't has the Euro, so they don't count. France was the only powerful left, who had a lot of problems itself, that it merely followed germanys decisions. something that wold change, if they and britain were totally against it. but to end the "what if" scenario, the treaty won't pass in europe this time... but is that really important? if it passed in the us, then later (maybe in 5 or 10 years) will it be used in europe as well, if it shows to be successful resultion for the piracy problem.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, I might be new, but can we keep politics out of this since it's irrelevant to the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    i don't see a point why mf and mr should be put down, which would be the case if they were registed in the us or europe. but with acta coming up it isn't important which the resident of the provider is anymore, so let's hope the us congress don't do something stupid, which would be hated by the people.
    It doesn't matter, Japan still owns the copyright and has the right to send a C&D letter to the scanslators, Berne convention anyone? If I am right to believe ACTA is simply a way to enforce the copyright.

The reason why everyone hates mangafox is that as far as I know they make a nice profit out of hosting other people's work, fan translations were never about profit, usually it was to promote the series and hopefuly see it licensed, I know that sadly that hasn't been the case in a while.

They are still posting new chapters to Batoto. No more files on their server, which hopefully means that VIZ can not file suit.
    Yes they can, they're still violating the copyright. Seriously, I've been around for ages and back in the early days everyone knew that this stuff wasn't legal. The more people flaunt scanslations with online readers etc. the more reason the japanese publishers and the licensors will have to go after the scanslators.

I thought batoto was about being a nicer alternative, why the heck post scans there if a licensor sent a C&D letter...

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast