Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Retro series - Favorites and Suggestions

Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Retro series - Favorites and Suggestions

Thanks to Kaiten featuring one of the older seinen series in this week's suggestion I am really eager to discuss them here. I have really like the 90s seinen from what I have read, they had a really distinct art style even for their time. Do you have any favorites or some you might want to suggest to the readers? And discuss away about retro series in general as well.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Retro series - Favorites and Suggestions

wait, when you say Retro... you mean manga particularly in the 90s? or older?

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

maybe you have sample panels of the particular art style you are referring to?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In general, something along the lines what Kaiten featured with the series, Obrigado!. I prefer 90s though but it can be from anything, like awesome retro from the master himself, Osamu Tezuka, which is 60s stuff.

90s are known for the period of globalization of manga where thanks to Dragonball they got more popular, it was anime mostly, stuff like shojo was also getting attention but seinen was obscure, so the thread is to get attention to these series in this day and age.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Dance till Tomorrow is one of my favorites, and the oldest of Naoki Yamamoto's translated works. A really funny, sexy college comedy; typical 90's stuff.
    There's Kazan ('97), which I'm not sure is seinen, but it's definitely not your cliched shounen manga either: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4562
    Jiro Taniguchi's stuff spans all ages as well, and has to be read. Harukana Machi He is a good place to start.
    Kazuo Umezu is nuts, so read something of his as well. Read Fourteen for the most hilarious mindfuck of your life.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I just recently finished reading 'The Pushman and Other Stories' by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. It is a collection of short stories and was originally published in 1969. It's only one volume long and a good read.

I also just started 'Ode to Kirihito' by Osamu Tezuka. I am only half way through, but it is really good so far. It is my first Tezuka manga.

These are the two oldest manga I have read. The next oldest Seinen manga I have read would probably be Akira, which wasn't anything special IMO.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Akira, which wasn't anything special IMO.
    you are out of your mind, but that is your good right

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think anime, well the adaptation of some old series at the time, or even retro anime not based on manga have ruined the reputation of some hidden gems that might be as good as some of the works of Tezuka. I like older anime, but I think the 80s were filled with anime scfi-fi stuff just done for the sake of it. I think it might have left a bad impression on the generations that were not watching it at the time but are rather searching for some good old stuff.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well i read Tezuka's "Buddha" and it was a very entertaining read, one that i think could never translate well into animation since it was all very surreal. Although it was intended for shounen, it was quite a mindfuck and he really drew tits without censorship. All the characters were half naked 95% of the time, and half of them were female.

New Reply