Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Favorite satire anime/manga

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite satire anime/manga

I am really fond of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and I really wanted to see if anyone else likes satire manga here. Do you have any favorite satire manga, or do you like to comment on satire manga or anime in general that you watched? What did you like about them?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite satire anime/manga

My first thought was SZS too! There are countless of satire in North America, but there aren't as many in Japan. That's why I love SZS for not being afraid of making fun of Japanese society: the country has a lot of problems and it's good to be honest with it.

Although Air Gear isn't satire, there was that one scene with "Barack Obama"; I'm not sure if it counts though.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well sad to see the series end though, nothing really comes close to it, all of the manga/anime world can really be seen through SZS's eyes, sad to see it end. It is like the South Park of Japan.

Another good one is Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, it parodies and satirizes fighting, shounen, martial arts, superhero manga and such. Really a parody on the shounen stuff mostly.

Sadly with SZS there are not that many popular satires running in the magazines, damn I have to search the net for hidden gems.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Weeeell, Gintama has satirized the otaku culture on several occasions. Hell, there was a whole chapter poking fun at Densha otoko. There was another satire that was on the whole 'gal game' sub culture, and even a few pokes at shounen manga as a whole. Sure it's not on the level of SZS, but it's definitely one to think of when talking about satire manga, though its raison d'tre isn't completely satire.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it is difficult to tell about Gintama really, I do think it uses satire but not all of it is satire, it is not that direct in the irony and sarcasm that it provides. Like Genshiken is also something that may appear as a satire on the otakus and stuff but it embraces them and is not critical towards them, though it uses some things that can be seen as satirical but that is just for the comedy effect. Otakus have to be made fun of either way. The mangaka uses the thrill of the moment.

Pani Poni is a series I thought was embracing all the things that it showed, and yet I was not paying attention to the exaggerations to realize it was making fun of them.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

How could I forget Hetalia: Axis Powers? It's one of those "only in Japan" type of creations because I don't think anywhere else would dare to have entire nations be anthropomorphized into human characters.

Surprisingly it can also be educational. The manga, at least, has notes that describe which events/cultural customs the yonkoma was referring to.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to try that one, I know it is popular but I hate popularity. Though I always felt it never was satire, going from just seeing it here and there, Hetalia was something close to shoujo to me. Not a seinen satire. xD

New Reply