Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Chess Thread

Ghosted 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member godofthesunn's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

The Chess Thread

I was wondering if anyone at MH was an avid chess player.. I've been playing alot recently and thought I wonder if anyone at MH would like to discuss the beauty of the game with me.. Openings, pins, skewers, forks, etc
    Last edited by Iceiphoenix; November 25, 2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Added prefix
    How much heat can you take?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chess

Chess, eh? I was "in" to it for awhile, but lost interest. My favorite move was castling. I just found it delightful that I could switch the rook and the king like that. It almost felt like cheating.
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Chess Thread

e4 i say e4 and move my theread back to its rightful place in the sky please

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

hey godofthesunn,

I have moved the thread as you requested, and I do think it does appropriately belong in the GE section.

I played chess when I was in elementary school, but I lost the passion for it when I kept losing.

you guys must be really good. -_-

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I joined my chess club at my university. I was defeated in two games not easily though. I havent played alot of real people so this was a new experience... But soon i'll be of grandmaster status.

it seems no nerds at MH like chess, otaku typiclaly play video games I understand but chess is a beautiful game that allows one to stragetically out wit their opponent and continualy increase.. words cant match the joy of winning this game.. Come with MH .. come to the chess thread and let us discuss the intracity of the game
    Last edited by godofthesunn; February 12, 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

How bout putting the link on your sig, godofthesunn?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like playing it but never joined a club or anything. For openings I usually move my center pawns and then go from there. Pinning is my favorite tactic to use.
    frack.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm above average, but not a grandmaster (not even close!)

but I'd be interested if you can provide some lessons, i.e. openings, middle game and end game strategy.

Of course, if it's not too much trouble...I'd appreciate that.

my usual strategy (and since I don't know the terminologies, I'll just use plain english):

I try to protect my King by castling if possible.
    I try to maintain control of the center square
    I am agressive with the knights, and I use the bishops for defense (in the early and middle game, at least)
    In end game, I use bishop a little more aggressively, as well as rook.
    Opening strategy, I think, is probably the most important, as well as middle game.
    As long as I can maintain equal with my opponent up to middle game, I consider myself to be in good shape. End game, I just use common sense and intuition, and there's more creativity in end game, which I really like.

I avoid exchanging pieces, especially knight with bishop, vice versa (unless in some rare cases...value of pieces change in the course of the game, sometimes I just use intuition to determine if exchanging pieces is a good idea....I'm not yet very good at this though, sometimes I mess up)

the Queen is my best friend.

Usually, against a skilled opponent, I can last up until the middle game, then I tend to lose my head during end game. But generally, I'm above average. My uncle is a chess champion at his local village, I'm able to keep up with him up to middle game. I've beaten him once, out of 40 some games, lol.

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miyi View Post
    I'm above average, but not a grandmaster (not even close!)

but I'd be interested if you can provide some lessons, i.e. openings, middle game and end game strategy.

Of course, if it's not too much trouble...I'd appreciate that.

my usual strategy (and since I don't know the terminologies, I'll just use plain english):

I try to protect my King by castling if possible.
    I try to maintain control of the center square
    I am agressive with the knights, and I use the bishops for defense (in the early and middle game, at least)
    In end game, I use bishop a little more aggressively, as well as rook.
    Opening strategy, I think, is probably the most important, as well as middle game.
    As long as I can maintain equal with my opponent up to middle game, I consider myself to be in good shape. End game, I just use common sense and intuition, and there's more creativity in end game, which I really like.

I avoid exchanging pieces, especially knight with bishop, vice versa (unless in some rare cases...value of pieces change in the course of the game, sometimes I just use intuition to determine if exchanging pieces is a good idea....I'm not yet very good at this though, sometimes I mess up)

the Queen is my best friend.

Usually, against a skilled opponent, I can last up until the middle game, then I tend to lose my head during end game. But generally, I'm above average. My uncle is a chess champion at his local village, I'm able to keep up with him up to middle game. I've beaten him once, out of 40 some games, lol.
    You have a good strategy.. taking center devlopment.. i've never heard of biships for defense early on but i might consider that in my future games.

I've personally been a rut as of late... my openings have left me too vuranable and I'm stuck defending instead of attacking..

I cant give any lessons since well i'm not that great myself but if you like

www.chess.com is a good place to learn some basics.. Of course the best way to learn is to play.. I have Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition on PC which sort of tells me my faults as i play .. its helped alot but i'm still not very good..Generally I'm good at the beggening and depending on pawn devlopment i can do well in end gams but for some reason i'm just not a good at checkmate.. my moves are too obvious

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a website online where you can play other players for free. Most of the people on there are pretty good though. Or at least they crushed me =D
    http://www.instantchess.com/
    frack.

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

I made one bad move and lost my game.. at instant chess I was totally dominating some other guy.. he had a few checkmate chances but wasted them all

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to play at yahoo, but that was ages ago! My record was something like 400 wins, 100 losses, which is somewhat above average. but I hated playing because my connection was super slow, I'm much better playing live.

Thanks for the links, I guess I'll check it out, especially if I decide to play chess again.

Quote Quote:
    but for some reason i'm just not a good at checkmate
    I'm actually pretty good at end games, if I survive that long. and I'm decent with checkmates.

My problem has always been being too impatient and inattentive and being too cocky. I tend to underestimate my opponents 99 percent of the time. As a result, I rarely survive middle game when I'm playing against skilled opponents.

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finshed a remarkable game on my part. at www.instantchess.com however i think my opponent was a newb he could have fished the game by taking my queen after one of my blunders but instead he blocked with a knight.. I really wish i could find a way to play some people here at MH.. I'll consider making an account at instant chess but consider is the key word there

On another note... www.instantchess.com has some drawbacks. Yes it has a nice layout but at the same time its costs money to subscribe or one can write an essay saying how great he website is to get a year's subscription. After one playes enough games then you sort of blocked.. I don't know if its worth it or not

Alright your chess fans well me and maybe one more member of MH.. all you other folks are too busy with manga but that expectable.. anyways..

www.chess.com now has live chess so after you sign up you can play against other people although its still lin the beta phases of production I tried it and liked it.. If anyone wants a match against me feel free to pm me and we can set up a match ...
    Last edited by godofthesunn; February 23, 2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I play chess from time to time
    I usually have a good strategy:
    i move the pawn that is in front of the king one step forward, allowing my queen and my bishop to move
    then i would move one of my knights, provoking my opponent to make any wrong moves.
    but my problem is that i can not concentrate for a long time, if i am playing against a computer. so i would make really stupid moves

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

So now we have a new world champion, with Carlsen winning the championship match against Anand; and at the same very early age Kasparov did it before. How did you find the world championship match? It was really great, specially the 6th game. Carlsen did it really great in creating the f passed pawn in the endgame.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast