Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Why are all hollow names in Spanish?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are all hollow names in Spanish?

did anyone ever wonder what is up with every thing in "hell" (hueco mundo) being named and spoken in spanish? i was wondering if this was some underlying joke by kubo tite about everyone in hell speaking spanish or something of that nature or maybe perhaps discrimination of people who speak spanish

i realize that hueco mundo translates in to hollow world or world of the hollows, but in the mythology of bleach i am assuming it is the closest thing to hell
    Last edited by Miyagi; February 21, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are all hollow names in Spanish?

Welcome to the Bleach forum, Kisame Hoshigaki. Making thread titles succinct can help other members understand what the thread is about and participate if they're interested. Also using caps and punctuation marks whenever necessary makes the thread titles more readable.

As for thread topic, there's a separate Hell dimension in Bleach world, a place where hollows are sent if they were evil in their former lives. IIRC many arrancar were named after famous people, for example Grimmjow's name originated from an English architect Nicholas Grimshaw. The reason for Spanish theme in names is something only Kubo can know but I think it's better to have it that way. IMHO Barragan sounds better than, for example, Hans or François.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

sure makes sense i just remember an old joke or something about everyone in hell speaking spanish
    perhaps attwmpting to draw a parralell was reaching a bit

i love the site so far

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spanish is indeed a running theme in Hollow-related things in Bleach.
    I'm guessing Kubo just really likes the language.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's simply a Motif, it's easier to compile information on one subject when it shares a recurring theme, like all hollows having a spanish ring to them and the arrancars being named after architects for the most part.

If you want to look into it deeper however, the reason why hollows take on a spanish motif could be because of how Mexicans have a special day designated to remember the dead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

As for Arrancar they could be named after architect because of how they are produced. While sure it's named after a famous architect the person is only the name in which he has many people who support and work to produce the buildings he conceptualized. In the same concept an arrancar is one being created from multiple hollows to create one entity that you could say dominates the rest of the other hollows.

In the same sense while you see an architects name you never hear or I don't think you ever hear of all the people behind him who put up the cement, paved the ground, made the rooms and setup the building. The architect gets the recognition for producing the piece of work while they rely on the support of the team to put it together.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression that it was only arrancar that had that spanish theme to them. Are normal hollows being given spanish names? I don't quite recall that. Anyways, kubo simply likes to have a language associated with different factions. Arrancar had spanish, shinigami Japanese, fullbringers had english and the quincy have had german associated to them for a while now. I don't think kubo means to tell anyone that anything associated with spanish is hell or anything of the sort.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo was always about what sounds cool...it's just something he thought it was "cool" to add to the Arrancars....also I think we even have an exception...Wonderweiss doesn't sound spanish at all...Starrk also, although he has a spanish release...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nor does Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck, but be happy this arc has a german/dutch touch to it. I don't think he's trying to put any culture in a bad light, it just sounds good to him and may have some relations to the theme of the arc.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, actual arrancar names were rarely in spanish (or at all), I think each arrancar was named after an architect although that might not be entirely accurate (at least a few of them were though). It was always their zampakuto and technique names which were in spanish.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Alderney
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Nor does Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck, but be happy this arc has a german/dutch touch to it. I don't think he's trying to put any culture in a bad light, it just sounds good to him and may have some relations to the theme of the arc.
    He has always been using German for the Quincy, remember the Seele Schneider and the technique Quincy: Letzt Stil. And no, it is not a Dutch theme. It is clearly German. It is also a bit ironic, there is an American town named Quincy founded by German immigrants.

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Kubo was always about what sounds cool...it's just something he thought it was "cool" to add to the Arrancars....also I think we even have an exception...Wonderweiss doesn't sound spanish at all...Starrk also, although he has a spanish release...
    Seconded. Its not just what sounds cool, Bleach has wonderful character designs. The Spanish theme was befitting and felt a bit refreshing. I guess Kubo likes to blend other cultural themes in his work.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nieuwsgierig View Post
    He has always been using German for the Quincy, remember the Seele Schneider and the technique Quincy: Letzt Stil. And no, it is not a Dutch theme. It is clearly German. It is also a bit ironic, there is an American town named Quincy founded by German immigrants.
    As a german I knew this the very first second I read one of their attacks. Even if they sound a bit broken, why not ask some of his assistants, if he has some, to use google for a good grammatic right translation, or it's just the translators failing at doing it right? Seelenschneider is just a literal translation of Zanpakatou without the "sword" after all.

It would be funny if he tried to implement some tribal folk like some african or american natives somehow, but that would probably be to much. I hope we don't have to wait mroe than a year for the revelation of the Spirit King and the structure of their government.
    Last edited by Schabrak; March 02, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

New Reply