Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Was Tobi trolling Deidara?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Tobi trolling Deidara?

think about it, when tobi was first appearing and "trying to become the newest akatsuki member" (while actually running things behind the scenes) he seemed to be intentionally trying to irritate deidra and get a reaction out of him and constantly calling him "senpai" in a somewhat smartass little tone (on the anime)

just curious to see if you guys feel like this may be a glimpse of tobi's sense of humor

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: was tobi trolling deidra?

actually i believe that he was just trying to make it seem like he was an idiot to keep is identity under control. If it meant acting like an idiot infront of deidera and constantly irratating him, then he did it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tret16 View Post
    actually i believe that he was just trying to make it seem like he was an idiot to keep is identity under control. If it meant acting like an idiot infront of deidera and constantly irratating him, then he did it.
    yea that is what i figured, but you know , even though he is all about taking over the world, he had to get some entertainment out of getting under deidra's skin, i could just see him smirking behing that mask every time deidra got mad at him LOL

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

have you just noticed that??? .
    Lol,of course he was trolling. but it wasn't made for trolling madara,but for making tobi seem an idiot,instead of the true baddass he was.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LnDRash's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Tobi had to play some different personality to hide his true identity... basically he was just waiting and killing time until the right opportunity appeared to set his plans into motion. And whats the best way to kill some time? Of course having fun! So he was just enjoying himself, pissing off as many people as he can by playing the role of an dumbass.

At least thats exactly what I would have done if I was in Tobi's shoes...
    Click here for what I consider the definition of "simply brilliant"

Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    He was once a very charismatic, kind, special and inspiring person. LnDRash was a premium brand, now this brand is called LnDTRash!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

And it's not like he had to worry about who pissed off after all. None of them had the power too kill him, so you could say that this was kishi's way of showing how strong tobi was at this point of the manga.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    have you just noticed that??? .
    Lol,of course he was trolling. but it wasn't made for trolling madara,but for making tobi seem an idiot,instead of the true baddass he was.
    no i didnt just notice that, but i did just join this site....
    i thought about it as soon as i realized who tobi was and that he was behind the akatsuki

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tret16 View Post
    And it's not like he had to worry about who pissed off after all. None of them had the power too kill him, so you could say that this was kishi's way of showing how strong tobi was at this point of the manga.
    very good point, yes i believe this was showing how strong he was , or at least how damn elusive he is to know that no one in the group could harm him

however i bet if pain or itachi got serious they could have given him a battle

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

They definitely could have been a threat. Although I would say that itachi would be more of a threat then Nagato. The only time Nagato is a threat is if you don't know his secret, and tobi knew his secret so not much of a threat there. Itachi on the otherhand already knew who tobi really was and was already taking precautions so and itachi could be said to be as smart as minato so it wouldn't be too far fetched.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes as badass as kisame was , his style wouldnt have matched up well with tobi

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    no i didnt just notice that, but i did just join this site....
    i thought about it as soon as i realized who tobi was and that he was behind the akatsuki
    it remains a fact nonetheless. I'm not blaming you for making this thread,I'm not blaming youfor soemthing else either. I just don't know what to answer to a thread as this,except "of course". it's like saying "was itachi good?" Man,after volume 43 anyone knows that,but if you ask it after volumes 50(that is some time after the plot twist) everyone finds any answer useless

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was Tobi trolling Deidara?

i just found it comical, that deidra always seemed to be losing his cool with tobi especially the one time when pain interveined and told tobi that he was angering his senpai and told tobi that he needed to control his temper or whatever

tobi just doesnt seem like the type that would have a sense of humor

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think tobi meant to specifically troll deidara, I think the whole thing was just about staying in character. I don't think it was in tobi's best interest to catch the attention of anyone in particular, even his own organization hence he came up with an easy to ignore guy who by his comrades perception could die and be easily replaced. I do think he even went as far as caring for his fellow akatsuki, he did kinda mourn them a bit a while back when he was talking to zetsu and revealed the whole moons eye thingy.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tobi initially was nothing more than comic-relief (e.g. Hidan and Kakuzu). Him being the one running things from behind is a last-minute revamping of his character. Back then Zetsu had a debate with himself on whether Tobi should be allowed to join and the author placed a big emphasis on the Akatsuki rings. Since then it somehow turns out Tobi is responsible for 90% of bad things that have occurred and the author could careless now how many rings the Akatsuki remnant loses. Quite frankly Tobi being retconned into an Aizen-like figure is one of the main contributions for the quagmire that is Part II

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    i just found it comical, that deidra always seemed to be losing his cool with tobi especially the one time when pain interveined and told tobi that he was angering his senpai and told tobi that he needed to control his temper or whatever

tobi just doesnt seem like the type that would have a sense of humor
    tobi,pain,konan and zetsu were in league from the very beginning. they acted as if tobi wasn't the boss,not to be discovered by the others members. that's why Zetsu and Pain said "sasuke and tobi had died,due to deidara's explosion". but that was just to hide things from kisame but especially from Itachi,imo. in fact,when itachi died,tobi revealed his identity to kisame.
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; March 03, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Suzaku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franckie View Post
    Tobi initially was nothing more than comic-relief (e.g. Hidan and Kakuzu). Him being the one running things from behind is a last-minute revamping of his character. Back then Zetsu had a debate with himself on whether Tobi should be allowed to join and the author placed a big emphasis on the Akatsuki rings. Since then it somehow turns out Tobi is responsible for 90% of bad things that have occurred and the author could careless now how many rings the Akatsuki remnant loses. Quite frankly Tobi being retconned into an Aizen-like figure is one of the main contributions for the quagmire that is Part II
    I'm pretty sure your theory that Tobi is a "retcon" is completely incorrect. It seems to me that Kishimoto always intended him to be the man behind the scenes, and that Zetsu was simply playing along with his act (Tobi and Zetsu are stated in the official character relationship charts to be "comrades"). When he first appeared, it always gave the impression that Tobi was actually already employing the organization as its client or benefactor, but wanted to get into the action despite possibly not being up to par with the other members.

As for the rings, they only mattered in as much as they were required to use the Gedo Mazo extraction and sealing technique on the Tailed Beasts, and were likely only needed because directly synchronizing with the statue normally places a tremendous strain on the user. Even missing just a few members would increase the extraction time to a number of days, as I recall.

When Kishimoto gets into exploring the origins of the Gedo Mazo (probably tied into the Sage of the Six Paths and the Ten Tailed Beast), it will probably explain what the rings are and where they came from.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast