Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idioms

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Idioms

I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread for sharing idioms and see the equivalent in the different languages.
    So here is a proposal format :

Meaning
    Language:Original idioms (word to word English translation)

Example :
    To say it rains a lot
    English : It's raining cats and dogs
    French : Il pleut des cordes (It's raining ropes)

Of course it's possible that the idiom has no equivalent in other languages. We have a very funny one in French:

Et la marmotte, elle met le chocolat dans le papier alu (and the mamot, she puts the chocolate in the aluminium foil)
    You said that to someone who tells you something crazy seriously. This comes from a Milka chocolate ads from the 80's, it was so successful that the catch phrase became an idiom. I remember when reading the translation of Dreamland, the translator was quite puzzled when the hero said that.

---------- Post added March 07, 2012 at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was February 22, 2012 at 05:11 PM ----------

Since we have an oscar winner, let's see some French idioms with casser

French:Casser quelqu'un (break someone) means to diss someone. It's quite slang and to be use within friends

French:Ne pas casser 3 pattes à un canard (to not break 3 legs to a duck) means to make something not really exceptional

---------- Post added March 09, 2012 at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was March 07, 2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

In Direct Matin, the other day, there was one which I wonder if it exist in other languages:

French: Prendre son pied (to take his foot) means to take pleasure in what you are currently doing... And yes it is mostly used as a reference to orgasm :-). In every day life it can be modified in, <a situation>, c'est le pied (that's the foot).

For info, the foot in question refers to the imperial system measurement and apparently pirate used to took their foot when they share their loots.
    Last edited by k-dom; February 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

2. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idioms

I've got a common British one, which many probably have heard of. I'll try and think/find some rarer ones or local sayings too.

Right up your street

Meaning: If something is right up your street, it would be perfect for you or ideal for your skills and interests.

For example:
    • "I've found a job that should be right up Humphrey's street. It's writing for a cricket magazine, so he could use his writing skills and his knowledge of cricket."
    • "I thought a tour of German castles would be right up your street, Sarah."

Note: The idioms "right down your alley" and "right up your alley" have the same meaning, but they're used more in American English.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks goldb, that is an interesting one.
    In French we have the idiom "aller comme un gant" (to fit like a glove) which could have a similar meaning. Though it's mainly used for clothes but it can sometime be used for something more abstract.
    Last edited by goldb; March 13, 2012 at 08:18 AM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Thanks goldb, that is an interesting one.
    In French we have the idiom "aller comme un gant" (to fit like a glove) which could have a similar meaning. Though it's mainly used for clothes but it can sometime be used for something more abstract.
    Ahh aller comme un gant; I understand how that's similar, yes

I've got another one:

Fair Crack of the Whip

If everybody has a fair crack of the whip, they all have equal opportunities to do something.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the equivalent for this one would be (se battre) à armes égales ((to fight) with equivalent weapons).

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Stiff Upper Lip

If you keep your emotions to yourself and don't let others know how you feel when something bad happens, you keep a stiff upper lip.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Adorien's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that one. I learned it from Dexter's Lab. xD Also, AC/DC's 'Stiff Upper Lip" is a very nice song.

I think the equivalent for that here is "горе главата", which literally means "up the head". It means to hold your head up high and not be in a bad mood. That's something you say to others. "Keep your head up!"

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Adorien for the precision, I thought at first it was used for people timid and secretive when in the end it's kinda the opposite :-)
    In French you can also "Keep your head up" (garder la tête haute), it means that you keep a dignified and proud behaviour even in bad situation.
    Something similar is garder la tête froide (Keep a cool head) with the same meaning as in English.
    This expression is kinda funny, because the expression "keep cool" has travelled to France, but only half of it was translated and it became "reste cool". We lost the direct reference to temperature (which I only notice now that I look for it) whereas we had it already in a similar expression. That's the magic of languages :-)

And I'm glad we internationalize little by little
    Last edited by k-dom; March 15, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it was in the actuality yesterday.
    Love as first sight is said 'coup de foudre' (lightning stroke) in French, but I don't think we are the only one to say it that it that way

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a long time since i didn't post one so here are 2 which both mean 'not doing thing halfway'
    Ne pas y a aller avec le dos de la cuillère (to not do it with the back of the spoon)
    Ne pas y aller de main morte (to not do it with a dead hand)

I think the first one comes from the spoon you use in cocktail. When you use the back of the spoon, you do thing carefully. I'm not sure about the second one.

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Slight bump up~

A Slap on the wrist: To get a very mild punishment or get off lightly. "That sentence was a slap on the wrist, it should've been a lot greater"

Anything similar in your languages?

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we have a similar one in French. You can have a tap on the fingers (se faire taper sur les doigts) but it just mean to get a punition without severity connotation

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner carlosgmsousa's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    I've got a common British one, which many probably have heard of. I'll try and think/find some rarer ones or local sayings too.

Right up your street

Meaning: If something is right up your street, it would be perfect for you or ideal for your skills and interests.

For example:
    • "I've found a job that should be right up Humphrey's street. It's writing for a cricket magazine, so he could use his writing skills and his knowledge of cricket."
    • "I thought a tour of German castles would be right up your street, Sarah."

Note: The idioms "right down your alley" and "right up your alley" have the same meaning, but they're used more in American English.
    In Portugal the expression we use is "à tua medida" which translated literally would be something like tailored to your measure/size.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

I've just remebered an expression we use in Portugal "nem que chovessem canivetes", which translated would be something like "even if it were raining pocket knives". This is an expression used to denote that someone is determined to do something and nothing would be able to discourage him/her. Is there any idiom along those lines in English?
    Everyone lives bound by their own knowledge and awareness. That is called reality. But knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation - Uchiha Itachi

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Win French we have 'contre vent et marée' (against tides and winds) which has a siminlar meaning

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carlosgmsousa View Post
    I've just remebered an expression we use in Portugal "nem que chovessem canivetes", which translated would be something like "even if it were raining pocket knives". This is an expression used to denote that someone is determined to do something and nothing would be able to discourage him/her. Is there any idiom along those lines in English?
    Off the top of my head, the closest thing I can think of is "against all odds". I'll try to think/look it up.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast