Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Idioms

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idioms

A photo finish: Something that is to close to call. In horse racing photographic evidence is used to declare a winner when their is a close finish.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

In French it's the opposite which has become idiomatic with the popular expression "Y'a pas photo", meaning a clear victory that doesn't need a picture to be verified. It can nowadays be used for anything that is beyond doubt:
    - One Piece is the most popular manga
    - Y'a pas photo !

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner carlosgmsousa's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Win French we have 'contre vent et marée' (against tides and winds) which has a siminlar meaning
    Seeing as we portuguese have a long tradition of seafaring discoveries it's no wonder we have the exact same idiom "contra ventos e marés" which is written almost the same as in french.

But the expression I mentioned before is more of a form that someone has to convene absolute determination on his part to accomplish or do something. It's not used in the sense of someone describing that some other person has determination but the person itself transmitting that meaning. Hope I didn't sound too confusing...
    Everyone lives bound by their own knowledge and awareness. That is called reality. But knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation - Uchiha Itachi

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member nyamonyamo's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a few. My culture is based heavily on idioms. In the old days we never speak in a direct manner cause that would be considered rude. It is always in the forms of poems, idioms and proverbs to make it sound as indirect but meaning hits home. We are just that polite. Though now the iphone generation pretty much only know about pop culture its still used in formal ceremony like wedding speech, engagement ceremony etc. I'll share a few:

Bulan dipagari bintang (moon surrounded by stars) - a beautiful girl
    kacang lupakan kulit (nuts forgotten its shell) - ungrateful person
    api dalam sekam (fire in a Paddy husk) - seeking vengeance
    harimau sembunyi kuku (tigers hiding its claws) - a person hiding his advantage/superiority
    pungguk rindukan bulan (owl yearning for the moon) - yearning for the unreachable
    cacing kepanasan (worm in heat) - restless person
    pahat dan penukul (chisel and hammer) - only work when told to
    ajar itik berenang (teach duck to swim) - trying to teach someone better than us

All i could think right now XD

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2