Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: That chapter was the conclusion of this mini-arc?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 56.41%
  • No

2 5.13%
  • Give it one more chapter.

15 38.46%
New Reply
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter 338 Discussion

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter 338 Spoiler thread

"Outer space" is a mistranslation. Ging says "Outside." He's talking about the unexplored world--it's a similar concept to the Gourmet World in Toriko. The chimera ants are an indigenous species to this world.
    Last edited by Popo; February 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM.

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    @BDR
    You can always add me to your ignore list if it bothers you so much. I for one thought that forum isn't only for people who share the same opinion and if someone has a different opinion than majority he can present it. Guess I was wrong. To be clear, I'm venting my anger because I love Hunter x Hunter but I hate the bugs which drags whole manga down. Meruem in HxH is basically what Cell is in DB. Whenever bugs appear the story becomes less consistent and there is no originality to it (bug-arc was basically a fighting manga mixed with some Hikaru no Go not an adventure manga I love). And in this chapter I can't but think about this scene: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/75483/d...ch87_by_hao/13
    Heck, I even see Elisabeth from Gintama here.

Now Togashi should explain how come bugs managed to travel through space and yet be so primitive, why they even need to assimilate inferior species and how does fit into it his earlier explanation where he said that smaller version of these bugs were present for a long time.
    Now now. Never said you can't express your opinion, but when it's the same opinion each week it kind of makes me wonder why you bother to come here. The ants arc was a substancial part of the series so it's not like it was a Gintama arc that was only three or four chapters long. It goes without saying Togashi is going to reference it in future arcs and bring it up again. Plus with this development it actually does look like he's going back to an adventure aspect, (unless of course he does end the series....then even I will be disappointed.) I understand what you mean, but dude it seems to me maybe you should wait a few chapters or something and then maybe read it? I dunno. I'm not here to tell you what to do. Hell...maybe I'm the one who needs to leave because I actually really enjoyed the ants arc. Maybe I'm just not a HXH fan because I did think it was a suberb arc and well done. Maybe...I actually....don't even like manga.

ANYWAY, I read through the raw and I don't see UFOs mentioned at all. Sounds More like the 'New World' mentioned in One Piece which would make it more like the HXH people here seem to enjoy! YAY!

Popo-san beat me to it. :-P
    Last edited by Bomber D Rufi; February 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Koukushi Musou!! (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-D-Rufi-Thread
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com

Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Meruem was a impossible bug to begin with, but Togashi beautifully set out to write a character who came to full circle in the end. It's his take on the shounen cliche - the next super villain who's all powerful (like Cell). But Togashi went beyond that: he made such all-powerful character to preoccupy with the meaning of his existence. He twisted the genre and made an All-powerful (who's usually all mindless) super villain into a character died 'small', but also with humanity and dignity. Through Meruem, Togashi shared his views on humanity with us. So it's a good chapter in the end.

On the other hand, Aruka is WAY WORST as a bug compare to Meruem. There's at least a full built up to Meruem's appearance. While Aruka came out of nowhere and was given all these bullshit 'rules' that ended up all meaningless. She's now a walking bug whose sole purpose (now it's clear) is to drag Killua off the front stage. That's it, that's the point of this character. I wasn't moved by 336 at all which we were supposed to...she only shows up after 300 chapters and suddenly she's the most important person in Killua's life with this deep bond that was never mentioned once. We're supposed to care but I just don't. Now it's clear that the actual point is to get rid of Killua, just a device to show Killua's 'growth'.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    "Outer space" is a mistranslation. Ging says "the other side." He's talking about the unexplored world--it's a similar concept to the Gourmet World in Toriko. The chimera ants are an indigenous species to this world.
    After looking at the RAW your statement makes more sense. In the RAW there's no such thing that could be associated with space, so my guess is, that Togashi might explore more about the other side of the HxH verse on a later stage.

Credits:Shinsatsu

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

So many questions... ._.'
    This is awesome, seriously. I'm speechless. So, the best conclusion you can get right now is that an already big and awesome world that we know has something beyond? Damn, it reminds me so much of the DQ III game (where, right after you finish the game, you find there is another world to explore), and also something similar with this awesome webcomic, the Order of the Stick (see the panels with the elf and the bird dialogue; and it would be awesome if the HxH world was the inside one in this case *-*), that for me is awesome beyond belief. Take that, people who kept saying with so much conviction that the series was ending! And lol to the rabbit/tiger marriage (and mind you, since we never saw much interaction between the zodiac out of conference rooms for election-related discussions, we can't say we know much of their interactions to rule it out).
    Also, let's not go crazy into thinking for the rest of the week that we are running towards an "space-bullshit" arc. It's only that Ging stated what he was doing all this time and what he is going to do/hunt, and only that.

@EDIT:
    Swordsaged by Popo, and thanks to clearing the space thing. Now it makes even more sense with what I wrote =D
    Last edited by heron bpv; February 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be post.

Alines usually ruin the story of everything I've read. I don't know, I hope Togashi can work it without throwing everything into shit. I've few expectations, though. Sit and wait.

And please, be nice. I said once to Goral that He wasn't allowed to tell anyone to not post. So it's only fair that I repeat the same to you, Bomber.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Mangehelpers is especially narrow-minded regarding negative critics. There are countless one-lines "yeahhh, it's great" comments on this forum but one constructive argumented negative critic is already not well received.

I praised HxH in the past arc countless times. I think it's just fair to let people express themselves positively OR negatively.
    Even hardcore blind fans have to admit that the new world stuff is again coming out of nowhere. It's a logical development though: ants came out of nowhere ... so, the explanation had to come from nowhere as well. It's like Togashi is trying to explain his past mistakes.

When ants were introducted, we had no previous hints about their very existence. Same goes for the new world stuff: the "ants arc" was the longest in the manga & there were NEVER EVER any reference to their origin coming from an "other world".
    It's a bad idea from togashi but the execution of the idea can still be better than the idea itself. So, I still have some hope.

It's not the first crazy idea from togashi but at least when he created something as weird as Greed Island, there was some foreshadowing & a logical explanation as well. It didn't come out of nowhere.

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy it's not going to be a space manga. The last page shows that the known hunterxhunter world is a small part of the whole hxh world. Just like in the Claymore manga.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jack Van Burace's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Aliens screwed up Dragon Ball. However, these ants remind me a lot of Zergs from Starcraft. It could somehow work.

I mean, they could belong to a different dimension, like Shuma Gorath. And also, there's been a while since I spoke of this, but ever since Chloro teleported Nobunaga without moving an inch I get a feeling there's something beyond Nen. Like something that is to Nen what Nen is to regular training. Something only Chloro, Gin and guys from another dimension have ever touched. It feels like Saint Seiya, but I've mentioned so many different lores in the same post already, lol!

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Must be post.

Alines usually ruin the story of everything I've read. I don't know, I hope Togashi can work it without throwing everything into shit. I've few expectations, though. Sit and wait.

And please, be nice. I said once to Goral that He wasn't allowed to tell anyone to not post. So it's only fair that I repeat the same to you, Bomber.
    Like I said. I didn't tell anyone not to post. But whatever, It's a past thing now. As Popo-san & I have said, It has nothing to do with space. What is alluded to here is that there is a wider world that has yet to be explored, and the ants came from there. The ant queen did drift from somewhere right? Ging is saying that this unexplored territory is where the ants came from, not from the planet Clarion. All in all, if Togashi isn't going to end this series in two weeks, I think this is a time to be even more excited about where HXH could go.

As for negative critisim on MH, I honestly don't comment much outside of the Otaku Shoten. (And I think I should have kept it that way.) But It seems to be disturbing trend on Anime boards where people chime in each week to talk about how much they hate something. I suppose people are in their full rights to do that, but I'm not sure why. If week after week the material isn't meeting one's standards wouldn't there be a point where you'd distance yourself from it and maybe revisit it after a period of time? Or...am I missing something? I certainly wouldn't waste valuable time to post about how something sucked for the xth week. Then again I dunno. Sorry if I came off sounding like a bastard. I'm really curious to know why people do that.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Koukushi Musou!! (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-D-Rufi-Thread
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com

Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

@zelllogan:
    What's wrong with a world where not everything is explained and expected? At least in the case of the chimera ants arc, the whole idea behind is "rush to solve unexpected world threating problem", only that the problem was caused by an out-of-the-scale version of an known dangerous life form. There's plenty of examples similar to this in our own world (mainly with illnesses, but still). There was no intention of telling you from where exactly the problem came from the start of the arc. It's only being explained now, and expanding the horizons of the world of HxH to us in the process, so it's a good thing to me. =]
    And while the change in mood, from-adventure-to-mass-murder was really abrupt, it really does makes more sense with the idea of an unexpected problem coming to bite you that i pointed.
    Last edited by heron bpv; February 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so this other world is not space itself but what is it? Is it an alternate dimension or is it simply specific sections of the world which have yet to be explored by man? If the latter is the case we could be talking about underground cities and who knows what else...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@Zellogan: It was already hinted in the first chapter, that there is unexplored Land with this revelation, we might have another plot occuring there. Basically, it's not out of nowhere like in the case with the ants (with this I agree with you, we still need some explanation about their origin). Try to give it a chance, it's not like Togashi will disregard his other plots just for the sake of the new one.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Ok, so this other world is not space itself but what is it? Is it an alternate dimension or is it simply specific sections of the world which have yet to be explored by man? If the latter is the case we could be talking about underground cities and who knows what else...
    Well, if you've read the RAW you can see that the other side is literally on the other side of the HxHverse civilisation. With unexplored species, lands etc. And by the looks of it, that other side is vastly huge compared to the "civilisation".
    Last edited by Host Samurai; February 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Credits:Shinsatsu

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Luxembourg
    Post Thanks / Like

On the last page it says, "The world that we know is merely a single part of a world of enourmous proportions"
    on the page before that he talks about the "outside" (外側) and also qualifies the ants as non native species. There's no use of the word alien or outer space... I guess it's more like the gourmet world in Toriko. Hopefully the next chapter will clear some of this up.
    Last edited by Goshi; February 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid this 'beyond the outer limit' world is going to be up to our imagination.
    Given the recent draft drawings especially, main characters' arc being wrapped up, I think this 'outer limit' talk is basically Togashi's "The world is unlimited! Go explore kids!" ending to HxH.

New Reply
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast