Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: Should Warner Brothers make a Bleach Movie?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely YES

28 23.53%
  • OMG Please NO

73 61.34%
  • I don't know

18 15.13%
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Warner Brothers in Film Talks for Bleach Manga

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

No Trust Warner Brothers in Film Talks for Bleach Manga

Quote Quote:
    The Hollywood Reporter newspaper's Heat Vision blog reports that the American film studio Warner Brothers "is in the process of securing the movie rights to" Tite Kubo's Bleach supernatural action manga series. Director Peter Segal (Get Smart, The Longest Yard, Anger Management) is lining himself up to produce, but not direct. The manga's North American publisher Viz Media and Segal's Callahan Filmworks partner Michael Ewing would also produce the proposed project.

The manga follows a 15-year-old boy named Ichigo Kurosaki who becomes a Soul Reaper — a "Shinigami" or "God of Death" who protects humans from the "Hollow" spirits that prey on them. Shueisha publishes the manga in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in Japan, and Studio Pierrot has been adapting the manga on television and in movie theaters since 2004. The Adult Swim programming block of America's Cartoon Network and Canada's YTV channel have been running the anime.

Warner Brothers has already acquired the rights to adapt Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's Death Note supernatural suspense manga, which — like Bleach — is published by Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan and by Viz Media in North America. Along with Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way production company, Warner Brothers is also developing adaptations of Yoshiaki Kawajiri and MADHOUSE's Ninja Scroll action anime film and Katsuhiro Otomo and Kodansha's Akira science-fiction manga. Viz set up an office in Hollywood in 2008 to promote Viz's properties to Hollywood interests.
    Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...on-bleach-film

I smell "Dragonball Evoluion"-Part 2.

I mean Death Note, Ninja Scroll and Akira can be filmed as film adaptation with actors, because of their Stories.

But Bleach ? I don´t imagine how would the story like

I see I have posted in the wrong forum-section. Can someone of MH-Team switch the topic ?
    Last edited by TemplateR; March 22, 2010 at 05:31 AM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Negative Syndicate

Re: Warner Brothers in Film Talks for Bleach Manga

I'm also smelling another one of Dragonball Evolution. I don't think live action for Bleach is good idea.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AkatsukiNoTobi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Kubo say somewhere that he'd never allow BLEACH to be turned into a live-action movie?

5. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sparkling Chidori's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AkatsukiNoTobi View Post
    Didn't Kubo say somewhere that he'd never allow BLEACH to be turned into a live-action movie?
    I hope so. A film like this though could be amazing if the same approach was made for it as say, Batman: The Dark Knight. Not just because that film is so good but it's serious, heavy, realistic considering it's a superhero movie.

I just hate the approach on things like this being made into films. The movies are rubbish and it just seems like a money scheme more than anything.

I would rather a few more good animated movies.
    Sparkling Chidori

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MissMinako's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

God, I hope not! Dragonball Evolution was so horrible in my opinion , I just couldn't stand to watch it longer than 2 minutes. A Bleach life-action movie made by an American film studio seems like a nightmare to me. Hollywood sure makes great movies, but they should just stay away from manga and anime
    I can't imagine how the actors would pronounce Japanese words like "shinigami", "zanpakutou" or "getsuga tenshou"
    o right, they would probably translate all Japanese words and names

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissMinako View Post
    I can't imagine how the actors would pronounce Japanese words like "shinigami", "zanpakutou" or "getsuga tenshou"
    o right, they would probably translate all Japanese words and names
    I watching Bleach Anime in English Dub and there isn´t a pronounce problem of japanese words.

Negative Syndicate

Does anyone know any good examples for successful/good reception Hollywood films that based on Japanese manga/anime series?

The main reason for I'm against Bleach Hollywood movie is that there are not much good examples for support it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rei Ayanami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Warner Bros didn't have much luck with Speed Racer, though it did have a $120 million budget.

If Warner Bros is going to adapt something with that kinda budget it should be GANTZ

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach + live action = No, please and thank you.

I just don't see it working. Another Dragonball Evolution.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rei Ayanami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They should get Michael Bay to direct. lol

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh please not a live action movie. DBZ Evolution was a disaster and I don't want to see Bleach turning into a live action movie. I can't find any Hollywood actor/actress to fill Ichigo or any other character's shoes. Even if its made, I will not watch it. I had my lesson from the past attempts.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo wouldn´t be the first person who changed their opinion because of money.........

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saint Markus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo did specify that, but he's in no real position to make the final decision on that. WSJ still owns distribution rights and if they can profit from a live action Bleach movie, they'll allow it.

personally, i'm with Kubo, Bleach is best left to anime and manga. manga mostly.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Ayanami View Post
    They should get Michael Bay to direct. lol
    I agree, a Bleach movie would be awesome with tons of explosions, a shaky cam, overabundant CGI and a cheesy script. Hell yeah I'd watch the shit out of that movie :3

19. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how this movie can even work without having previous knowledge of what Bleach is. It'd be lame if we get into the movie and Ichigo suddenly uses GT and bankai, because people that aren't familiar with the series wouldn't know what the hell is going on. A simple recap wouldn't cover all that.

Although, I doubt that a lot of people that aren't familiar with Bleach would even watch at all. Unlike DBZ, Bleach wasn't popularized during prime-time networking for kids. Remember Toonami? How it made anime famous in the US? Series such as Prince of Tennis, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing...they were all great, and were extremely popular in the US because kids back then like me watched em. Ever since Toonami got kicked off CN, anime has basically disappeared from prime-time hours, besides the occasional movie every couple of months.

I'm not even sure why I'm ranting like this, because I'd watch the movie regardless. It's just that I don't want to see critics rip the movie without actually understanding why it's bad, which is inevitable.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast