Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The art of Shingeki no Kyojin

Bushy Brows MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The art of Shingeki no Kyojin

Discuss about the art of the manga, personally it is a really unique style, and this threads job is to focus on what you like about this unique and eye-thrilling art?
    Last edited by Josef K.; February 23, 2012 at 05:40 PM.

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The art of Shingeki no Kyojin

Art is one of the aspect that bothered me when I started reading SnK. With the passage of time and the progression of plot, I am beginning to actually like it. It goes well with the story. I still wish, Eren was drawn a little differently. Not drawn like out average Shounen hero but its good in a way too.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The art isn't actually pretty, but that certain style of mix ugliness greatly suits the manga.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member vampire killer's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

The art is bad.....But the mangaka is 24 years old so i can forgive him. But it`s geting better every time!

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The art is perfect!

When Shingeki no Kyojin was still fresh and nobody knew about it,I saw some panels and was shocked.It looked like the drawing-style of a 13-year old American wannabo otaku,who makes his first steps as an 'artist'.I've seen tons of those awefully drawn faces on deviantart and I was sick of them.Well,that's until Isayama Hajime appeared.He actually uses this crappy style to create a certain atmosphere in his manga.The horror is all the more effective with those simplistic and badly drawn faces.Just look at the Kyojin.There's no way they could be scarier than in this odd style.
    As I haven't read the manga in quite a while,I have some trouble writing down all the awesome features of the art,so I'll try to make a better post later on.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hated the art for this series at first and it's what turned me off the first time I tried to read it. Eventually I decided to give the series another shot and as I went along my opinion of it changed. While I still don't think it's good I can say that it definently matches the tone for the series and captures the horror pretty well.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with alot of you guys. I too never liked the style at first but one thing i think you guys forgot to mention is how well this mangaka does his action scenes. Particularly how he uses his lines to mimic motion and intensity. Remember the first time we saw Eren's titan form and how he laid that punch in the other titan's face to the point where his fist literally exploded........think scenes like that

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Olm's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz was great with details and the look of it, but a lot of times failed to capture the emotion of the moments. The art and effort put into each segment was, indeed, amazing -- but there were times where it felt like it didn't convey what was happening at all.

SNK, on the other hand, has pretty lazy art, but manages to capture so much. In truth, I've really always preferred this.

I don't like to compare two different manga, but they are great opposites.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't to fond of the art at first but eventually it grew on me, and I started to really like Isayama's style of art.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't too fond of the artwork at first as well, but eventually got used to it the more chapters I read. What put me off was how they drew young Eren and Mikasa. They practically had adult heads stuck on chibis; they didn't look like children at all....

I still dislike the art, but it definitely suits it. The sketchyness adds more to the super serious tone of the entire manga. That I can appreciate.
    -

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is some similarity between the art here and Ares. However the everything of Ares had this sketchy look, but in SnK i think its only the characters who are drawn this way, contrasting with the rather clearly drawn backgrounds and environment. I find it a little disconcerting and not really the best idea drawing wise. Also in the first chapters( i started reading it quite recently and haven't caught up yet) proportions in figure drawing was rather badly messed up. However i think that particular aspect is getting better...at 5th chapter, i don't think i saw such mistake anywhere...which has has vastly contributed in the improvement of the arts. Where i think the mangaka is top notch is in capturing pace. Starting from the very first scene of battle on horses, i think he's been very good at capturing the pace of the action...a major reason why i like the fights so much. The sketchy style actually helps a lot with the depiction of speed imo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I do acknowledge Isayama has a lot of technical problems, especially when it comes to anatomy, but it's the guy's first work and obviously still learning. Some of the more respected artists debuts like Miura (Berserk) were far from impressive when he first starting drawing, so there is room for improvement and the artwork does get better over time.

Personally I actually enjoy Isayama's artstyle. It's a perfect fit to the overall tone of the story as the art is messy, dirty, and downright brutal - a stark contrast to the usual artwork found in other magazines such as the SJ series. The action scenes are also superb with the Spider Man-like acrobatics and the dirty combat we see in fights. Characters also start looking distinctive as the series has progressed.

And then we have the Titans. The Titans are one of the most unnerving, intimidating, and memorable monsters/antagonists I've ever seen from a fictional series. This example scene still creeps me out:

Spoiler show

The Titans are genius character designs.

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that i've caught upto the latest chapter, the improvement is clear and impressive. Atm the artwork is perfect/near perfect.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I prefer 10 times this type of art which is personal and strike you immediatly than a supposidly good generic art such as Nisekoi or whatever new similar serie. Shonen art tends so often to be the same everywhere that shingeki is really refreshing on that aspect.

Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

^ its alright to be different, but being different is not the same as being better. In earlier chapters the artwork certainly was not good...anatomical proportions all wrong. But now its really good. Specially the shading has improved so much. Earlier the strokes of the pencil around eyes and faces seemed mostly out of place, but now they actually serves the purpose of shading. I think he still needs to improve on facial emotions though...currently that's the only clearly noticable weakpoint in isayama's artwork imo.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast