Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

The title is pretty obvious, I think, so I will start by telling just about what made me hooked up.

I think for me it was the premise itself. I'm always interested when I read about something or watch a movie that tackles the topic of near human extinction. Of course the premise itself is not always enough, the quality of presentation matters, but in this case the author managed to get across the sense of urgency and desperation really well, so it convinced me.

How about you guys?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

fighting...i love fighting manga...H2H,swordplay or telekinetics no matter.but,to me just seeing the overwhelming odds...you have to stay tuned in.seen it on the home page today(which i hardly ever visit)...read the first 10chs today...eren looks awesome as a titan
    so bene...you're head mod on this one...nice project to work with.
    Last edited by gnut; March 11, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

"While many can pursue their dreams in solitude, other dreams are like great storms blowing hundreds, even thousands of dreams apart in their wake. Dreams breathe life into men and can cage them in suffering. Men live and die by their dreams. But long after they have been abandoned they still smolder deep in men's hearts. Some see nothing more than life and death. They are dead, for they have no dreams."

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

Haha well...not exactly a head mod...many admins read and love this series as well, and I think it was Kait who created the original thread, so...but I will certainly keep my eye on this section, it's a wonderful manga, and as it was said in the news post comments, this title is a very good replacement of FMA, which was also monthly and gorgeous...

Anyways...about the fighting....it is indeed awesome in this manga...the 3D maneuvers are just impressive, and it is something that I haven't seen in any mangas so far...it sort of reminds of air-plane/fighter combat...so there is tactical team movement melded with individual martial skills e.g. sword techniques....it is impressive

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you like about Shingeki no Kyoujin, and what convinced you that it's worth reading?

Mikasa...obviously

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the dark theme of this series. You can feel desperation seeing humanity at the brink of annihilation, horror whenever Titans appear. On the other hand, there is hope from characters like Eren, Mikasa, etc. Most of all, the story has a great plot and an aura of mystery.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Josear XIII's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

The smell, it was too good i only needed to see the cover, and i knew it was Gold

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the premise and saw the covers of the manga volumes and was like it looks amazing. The story seems more original than a lot of other mangas as well and I wanted something different, but I still enjoy the concept of survival mangas where anyone can die .

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Olm's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was interested when someone on the Terraria boards suggested that we should be able to kill a boss "from the inside" and linked it to a certain chapter in SNK. I grew up with constant nightmares of being in a living world of sorts -- Like I was trapped inside of something alive. Needless to say, I had to find out the story on it.

When I found out the story, it turned out to be exactly what I love. A story about desperation and death -- not death as something cool nor even emotional but as an empty thing.

The characters and situations are believable. The way they react, and the way their fear refreshes itself with each encounter. In the toughest of times, you really revert back to your "basic self." You throw away ideals and beliefs, realizing how useless they are or what is at stake. Most people panic, which is also what happens in SNK.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The battle. I still haven't finished the first one where our hero took part, but i'm definitely hooked. 2. Depiction of a war like crisis. Monsters eating up ppl have more of visceral appeal than normal killings. The writer cleverly utilized that with a great depiction of how ppl react in face of such brutality. I really liked the scene where eren's mother tries hard to stop herself from shouting not to leave her, just an example of what i meant by interaction 3. The details...i enjoy a well detailed setting. Snk is keeps building up the details of its world at a smooth pace from the start. 4. I still haven't read far, but i've reasons to hope that the mangaka would be good at characterization. He seems to enjoy writing interactions between characters and seems to capable of finding different voices for all his characters.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A compelling story? Genius character designs? Excellent worldbuilding? Memorable action scenes? A refreshing break from the rainbow nonsense you find in a lot of other ongoing series (e.g. Naruto, Reborn, HSDK, etc.)? If your answer is "Yes" to any of these questions, then Shingeki no Kyojin is for you.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was recommended SnK by somebody on youtube during the summer, and when I started reading it boy! was I hooked lol. I really like the dark atmosphere, and the horror of knowing when you start to get to know a character and your like "wow this dude is cool" bam!... next chapter he's dead... it's like nobody's safe in this world.
    I also really like the characters, and the way the way they fight with the 3d maneuverable gear. The art style is unique, and last but not least an interesting story.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Netero View Post
    I was recommended SnK by somebody on youtube during the summer, and when I started reading it boy! was I hooked lol. I really like the dark atmosphere, and the horror of knowing when you start to get to know a character and your like "wow this dude is cool" bam!... next chapter he's dead... it's like nobody's safe in this world.
    I also really like the characters, and the way the way they fight with the 3d maneuverable gear. The art style is unique, and last but not least an interesting story.
    Indeed, you can't guarantee anyone would survive a confrontation with the Titans. I'd hate to see characters like Rivaille or Armin dying but that is what it makes more interesting, right?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    Indeed, you can't guarantee anyone would survive a confrontation with the Titans. I'd hate to see characters like Rivaille or Armin dying but that is what it makes more interesting, right?
    Exactly! of course I don't wan't to see my favorite characters die, but if know one dies like in a couple of series I read, it's like you always know they're going to survive and it takes away from the excitement but that's definitely not the case in Shingeki no Kyojin.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of dark fantasy, but I first heard about the title from MangaHelpers when they did the article about the hot titles Japanese bookstores liked in 2011.

I also saw all the volumes in Kinokuniya at the time and decided to give it a shot. I've been hooked ever since.

So far, I love the uniforms the army has and I love the concept of being trapped within walls. We, as people, seem to always put up these walls to escape fear. Personally, this title has moved me in some ways.

Also, Mikasa <3

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

World building and the characters for the most part. I think they're fantastic. The story isn't anything that new, but it's a slightly different take on it that it has a more fantasy than sci-fi setting.

I don't really care for the gore, sure it adds drama and that, but I grew out of that as criteria for enjoyment when I was like 15.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast